Saturday Snapshot

November 3, 2012
tags:

Our precious Milou came to live with us on February 17, 1996 when she was six weeks old.  At first, she wasn’t quite sure about her new home as you can see in this photo taken a week later:

She quickly adjusted and came to rule our household and we all did her bidding.

Milou was the sweetest dog in the world and was the perfect match for our family.  She loved people and brought joy to so many through the years.  At the end of March of this year, dementia started to affect her and she’d been on a steady decline ever since.  After much agonizing, we finally had to make THAT decision on Monday of this week and allow her to be at peace.  It was one of the most difficult decisions we’ve ever made but we know it was the merciful thing to do.  We’re thankful for the time we had with her, but we’ve had a rough week and miss her terribly.

Saturday Snapshot is hosted by Alyce of At Home With Books.  It’s easy to participate – just post a picture that was taken by you, a friend, or a family member and add your link on Alyce’s site.

1. lenoreva permalink
    November 3, 2012 4:08 am

Oh Kathy. I know what a hard decision that was for you. Milou had a GREAT life and will be missed greatly. Thinking of you.

2. November 3, 2012 6:19 am

Oh, I am so sorry! I know this must be an awful time for you! Gosh, she was so much a part of your blog I feel a great loss as well, and I’m sure other readers feel the same. She had love throughout the blogisphere and our thoughts are with you!!!! Sending hugs to you and your family!

3. November 3, 2012 6:41 am

Sending you and your family hugs. I know how hard it is to say goodbye to a beloved dog.

4. Beth F permalink
    November 3, 2012 7:17 am

Oh no! I had no idea. I’m so sorry, I know how sad and difficult it is to make that decision. Like Jill said, Milou was such a large part of your life and blog that I know I’ll miss her too. My thoughts go out to you and your family.

5. November 3, 2012 7:45 am

I am sorry to hear this. I know how tough it must be for you right now. My thoughts go out to you. *hug*

6. November 3, 2012 8:04 am

I’m so sorry Kathy. It can be incredibly difficult to lose a beloved pet, they become an integral part of our families and I know it can be really painful to make THAT decision. Prayers and love being sent your way.

7. November 3, 2012 8:11 am

Oh honey, I am so sorry. It is so hard to lose the furry member of your family and their unconditional love. Sending gentle thoughts and a warm hug.

8. kaye permalink
    November 3, 2012 8:40 am

Oh, no. I am so sorry for your loss. She was the cutest doggie ever. Love the picture of her on the steps.{{{ Hugs}}}

9. November 3, 2012 8:41 am

So sorry, Kathy. Thinking of you..it’s so hard to lose a pet, especially one that’s grown up alongside your family. Like losing a part of yourself, I think! Hugs and good thoughts…

10. November 3, 2012 8:47 am

Kathy, on I know how hard that is! My heart goes out to you and your family. It was a year ago October 25th for us and it was so hard to do, but like you said, the right thing. A friend told me something at that time that I am now going to pass on to you –

You know that this dog was your miracle to your family… but remember, you were also hers. *Hugs* friend.

11. November 3, 2012 9:34 am

Oh, I’ve had to make that decision, too; I still remember the day we said goodbye to my daughter’s pal Floyd.

Revel in your memories of Sweet Milou!

Here’s MY SATURDAY SNAPSHOT POST

12. November 3, 2012 9:41 am

I’m sorry Kathy, it’s always so hard.

13. November 3, 2012 9:44 am

Oh Kathy, a big HUG from me. I know how hard this is for your family. 16 years is such a long time –but yet, somehow not long enough at times like this.

14. November 3, 2012 9:52 am

Sorry about you dog.

Love the photos. He is adorable and so is your son reading on the couch with him. I am guessing that is your son.

HUGS.

Elizabeth

15. November 3, 2012 10:39 am

I can tell Milou was very, very special. I’m glad to have met him.

16. talesofwhimsy permalink
    November 3, 2012 10:46 am

Awwwwwwwwwwwwww *hug* I’m so sorry sweetie. I can only imagine the void she has left. *hug*

17. sandynawrot permalink
    November 3, 2012 10:57 am

I’ve been thinking about you. I hope you are doing OK, because I know this is so so hard. Sweet little puppy…the blogosphere loved her too. I do believe she won a contest or two on here! Milou was a blessed little pumpkin.

18. Beth Hoffman permalink
    November 3, 2012 11:17 am

I cried and cried while reading this! Bless her sweet little soul for staying with your family for as long as she could. Those memories will live on forever. {{{hugs}}}

19. November 3, 2012 11:42 am

Oh, I’m so sorry you lost your Milou! She was so cute. I love that pic if her on the boy’s lap. Adorable. Sending you lots of hugs.

20. November 3, 2012 11:45 am

I’m sorry about your loss. I can tell from the way the post is written that she was really loved and a big part of the family.

21. annieb permalink
    November 3, 2012 12:24 pm

As a friend on mine once said “the only time they (animals) break your heart is when they leave you.” But, they are such joy the rest of the time.

22. readerbuzz permalink
    November 3, 2012 1:00 pm

Heartbreaking. I can’t imagine your pain. What a delightful dog she was!

23. November 3, 2012 1:03 pm

Oh Kathy. I am so so sorry. I can’t imagine how difficult this was. You gave her a loving home for her whole life. No dog could ask for more. Hugs to you.

24. November 3, 2012 1:30 pm

So sorry for your loss, Kathy. Sending hugs to you and your family. Milou looks like a real sweetie.

25. November 3, 2012 1:32 pm

Puppy Pics! She was an adorable girl and you took good care of her, including making the tough decisions. I am so sorry for your loss.

Lisa @ Alive on the Shelves

26. November 3, 2012 1:36 pm

Oh she looks so precious. So sorry for your loss. Our pets are such a part of our family and it is difficult to let them go. My prayers are with you in your sorrow.

27. November 3, 2012 1:44 pm

I am so sorry to hear about Milo, what an adorable dog! That is such a tough decision

28. November 3, 2012 1:44 pm

I’m so sorry to hear of your loss. I adore that first photo, what a sweet dog.

29. November 3, 2012 2:10 pm

I’m so sorry that you had to make such a difficult decision. My heart goes out to you. I hope your memories bring you comfort.

30. November 3, 2012 2:35 pm

Oh how sad! I’ve so enjoyed your stories about Milou and am very sorry for your loss.

31. November 3, 2012 3:03 pm

Crying as I read this; this must be such an emotional time for you and your whole family. I’m so sorry for your loss. Your dog was adorable and I know gave you all memories to treasure forever.

32. November 3, 2012 3:29 pm

Hugs to you and your family, Kathy! Such a hard decision… I’m very sorry for your loss.

33. November 3, 2012 4:03 pm

Oh I’m so sorry! What a difficult time for you all. She does indeed look like she was a very sweet dog.

34. November 3, 2012 4:17 pm

So sorry to hear that Kathy but happy for you all for having that time with Milou.

35. November 3, 2012 4:19 pm

I know how hard this was for you to write…she was the cutest puppy ever!

36. cherylmash permalink
    November 3, 2012 4:44 pm

Kathy, I’m so sorry. What a tough decision to have to make. I hope your memories bring you comfort. Pets are more than animals, they are family members. So very sorry.

37. November 3, 2012 5:10 pm

Very sorry for you. She really was a sweet looking puppy.

38. November 3, 2012 5:13 pm

Wonderful snapshots, Kathy. This is a lovely tribute to Milou.

39. Amy @ My Friend Amy permalink
    November 3, 2012 5:39 pm

aw Kathy. So many hugs and all the love. Milou was adorable and such an important part of your life, I know.

40. November 3, 2012 7:47 pm

I’m trying to type this through my tears. I’m so sorry that you and your family had to say goodbye to Milou. Her picture as a puppy just is so adorable. How could you resist that face? She was loved and she loved….saying goodbye to a member of the family is never easy. Sending you hugs and prayers!

41. therelentlessreader permalink
    November 3, 2012 8:17 pm

(((Hugs))) Sorry to hear this sad news. I am glad that you had your sweet pup for so many good years!

42. November 3, 2012 8:24 pm

((((hugs))))

43. November 3, 2012 8:29 pm

Kathy, as a lifetime pet owner/lover, I know very well how you must feel right now. Hold on to your memories…they really do become a part of our families, don’t they? Hugs.

44. Ilie Ruby permalink
    November 3, 2012 8:55 pm

So sorry to hear about this, Kathy. Sending you hugs and prayers.

45. November 3, 2012 9:26 pm

So very sorry about Milou! I know how much you loved her and that she wasn’t just a dog, she was a part of your family.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you, Carl and Vance.

{{Hugs}}

46. November 3, 2012 10:17 pm

I’m sorry for your loss. Never an easy decision, even when its kinder for the animal.

47. November 3, 2012 10:23 pm

Kathy, I am so very sorry. I imagine that as much love, joy and affection Milou gave to you, Carl and Vance that Milou received at least 3x that amount. What gorgeous photos you will have to remember her by along with the memories. I’m sending a bunch of hugs your way.

48. November 4, 2012 1:42 am

It’s always such a devastatingly sad time. Milou was such a gorgeous puppy. You made a lovely tribute to her.

49. November 4, 2012 5:43 am

Oh Kathy, I’m so so sorry. Huge hugs to you and your family.

50. November 4, 2012 9:20 am

What sweet snapshots. I’m so sorry for your loss. Saying goodbye to furry companions is so heartbreaking. (hugs)

51. joyweesemoll permalink
    November 4, 2012 12:07 pm

So sorry. It is such a loss when a pet is gone. Love the adorable photos. Thanks for sharing this bit of Milou with us.

November 4, 2012 6:58 pm

I’m crying as I read your post. I know how much Milou meant to you and she was extremely lucky to have you as her mommy! I love her puppy picture!

53. November 4, 2012 8:23 pm

Aw, I’m so sorry to hear about Milou. Losing a pet is so very hard, and I definitely feel for you right now. ;-(

Her puppy pictures are adorable, and I know she must have had a great life ruling over your household. 😉

54. November 4, 2012 8:37 pm

I’m sorry to hear about Milou. She sounds like she was a wonderful addition to your family. Those pics of her are so cute.

55. November 4, 2012 9:54 pm

So sorry to hear about Milou. Never an easy decision. That’s such an adorable puppy picture, and I’m you have lots and lots of good memories to hold on to.

56. November 4, 2012 9:54 pm

Oh Kathy I am so very sorry, I know this was a heartbreaking decision. We love our pets and they give us so much company and affection each day. Her pictures are adorable. Please know my thoughts are with you.

57. November 5, 2012 1:33 am

Kathy, I’m so sorry to hear about Milou but I’m sure she’s had many wonderful days with you and your family, and all of you are blessed by her presence too. I’m sending all my hugs to you. Trio is sending her love too…

58. November 5, 2012 8:37 am

So very, very sorry for your loss. Milou was so loved, and we’re all thinking about you. Sending you hugs today.

59. November 5, 2012 8:39 am

Oh, Kathy. I’m only just now reading this post and my heart is breaking for you and your family. I’m so terribly sorry.

60. November 5, 2012 8:42 am

Oh, I’m so so sorry! I’ve been hearing of Milou ever since I started blogging so I know how important she was to you. I’m glad you had such a wonderful time with her.

61. November 5, 2012 10:10 am

My heart goes out to you. We had to put our beloved Jasper to sleep 3 years ago and we still miss him. But we also wouldn’t have missed having him in our lives. And we now have a new beloved, Elsa, who doesn’t replace him, but she is a hilarious and loving dog and we’re grateful she found her way to us. They are special beings!

62. November 5, 2012 10:14 am

I can only imagine what you are feeling right now, we went through it a few years ago, it’s a hard decision.

63. November 5, 2012 10:20 am

Kathy, I am so deeply sorry for your loss.

64. November 5, 2012 10:40 am

Kathy, there are no words that will make it better. I think it’s one of the hardest things to do when you put a pet down while knowing its the right thing to do. I can feel your pain and I know just how much you miss Milou. Our pets are our family and its so difficult to have to let go. I will be praying for you and if you need to talk I’m here. I hope that Milou and Buddy get to meet each other up in heaven and play together. Love and hugs to you my friend.

65. zibilee permalink
    November 5, 2012 11:43 am

Oh, Kathy, I am so sorry. I know how much that little one meant to you. It is so sad, and my heart hurts for you. We are getting to that point with one of ours, and it’s very scary. My heart and prayers go out to you over the loss of Milou. You loved her like like no one else could have, and she knows that up in heaven.

66. November 5, 2012 2:27 pm

Oh, Kathy! I am so sorry to hear this. She had a wonderful life for sure and you got to spend so many wonderful years with her. I know how hard it is, especially when your kids grew up with her too. HUGS. I am thinking of you all.

67. November 5, 2012 2:27 pm

I am so sorry for your loss. I know how much our pets are truly member of the family.

68. capriciousreader permalink
    November 5, 2012 4:45 pm

Oh Kathy. I’m so sorry for your loss. I know how much you all adored Milou. You’ll be in my thoughts.

69. November 5, 2012 9:18 pm

oh, {{{{hugs}}}}, I’m so sorry. What a sweet sweet pup.

70. swright9 permalink
    November 5, 2012 9:25 pm

So Sorry for your loss. So hard but right to do. We had to make this decision in Nov. 2011 for our 13 year old dog and it is was so difficult. I know your pain. Take time

71. November 6, 2012 12:01 am

Oh, Kathy, I’ve got tears for you and Milou. And hugs being sent. The decision is so painful but because of the love you know when it’s time. Milou will always be in your heart to give you smiles when you think of her.

72. November 6, 2012 12:25 am

I’m so sorry for your loss.

73. November 6, 2012 7:45 am

Oh, I’m so sorry for your loss, Milou seemed such a treasure. It’s so difficult losing a pet, what a hard decision. *hugs* I’m thinking about you.

74. November 9, 2012 10:22 am

I’m so sorry. ((HUGS))

75. November 17, 2012 7:44 pm

So sorry to hear about Milou, Cathy. I always enjoyed hearing about her or seeing her photo. I especially remember the one where all you could see was her rear end sticking out of the Christmas tree when she’d dived into the presents looking for one for her. She made me laugh that day and I’m grateful for that. Take care.