Kid Konnection: What Body Part Is That?

October 27, 2012

I’m at a loss on how to describe What Body Part Is That? by Andy Griffiths, so I’m going with the publisher’s description on this one.

There is a lot of nonsense written about the human body, and this book is no exception.  In its 68 fully illustrated, 99.9% fact-free chapters, What Body Part Is That? will explain everything you ever needed to know about your body without the boring technical jargon and scientific accuracy that normally clog up the pages of books like this.

Never again will you be stuck for an answer when somebody comes up to you, points at a part of your body and demands to know, “What body part is that?”

Even though the synopsis and cover clearly state that this book is 99.9% fact free, I expected there to be some truths in this book but I was wrong.  It’s mostly silly and, to be honest, the humor grew old with me very quickly.  Here’s an example found almost halfway through the book:

Thighs are nice, big, juicy, upper-leg muscles that are very good for eating if, say, you’ve been lost at sea for many days and you’re starving.

I thought the detailed illustrations by Terry Denton were fabulous but, overall, this book fell flat for me.  I was hoping for a humorous book that included some facts, but that’s not what I got.  I have a feeling I’m too old and too female for it.  I would love to know how a young reader reacts to it.

For more children’s books reviews, go to Booking Mama’s feature, Kid Konnection. If you’d like to participate in Kid Konnection and share a post about anything related to children’s books (picture, middle grade, or young adult) from the past week, leave a comment as well as a link on her site.

Review copy provided by Macmillan.  I am an Indiebound Affiliate.
  1. October 27, 2012 6:27 am

Gosh, how disappointing! Because I was thinking I would want that book for the cover alone!

2. October 27, 2012 8:17 am

I probably would have worked better with some facts mixed in with the fun. Cute cover, though!

3. October 27, 2012 2:10 pm

Huh. 99.9% fact free would get old pretty fast.

October 27, 2012 7:40 pm

Plus kids love books like this!

5. October 27, 2012 7:55 pm

I think my kids would love it if it was silly like that and included real facts. I’m not so sure how they’d react to ridiculous fiction like that, and I’m not going to try to find out. 🙂

6. Beth F permalink
    October 28, 2012 7:37 am

Oh ugh. I don’t think I’d this one even when I was little.

7. October 28, 2012 6:47 pm

Love your honest reviews. some of that humor would be okay but after awhile there is a thing as too much!

October 28, 2012 8:10 pm

Hmmmmm. You’d think the author could have made it silly and appealing to kids while also doing some educating. I guess I sound like a mom.

9. October 29, 2012 7:28 am

I’m sorry you didn’t like this one. I read it last year and enjoyed it much more than you did. Perhaps I knew more what to expect, my son was a big Griffiths/Denton fan- they are huge sellers here in Australia. I don’t understand the appeal of his Just series, but these ones I got.

10. boardinginmyforties permalink
    October 31, 2012 3:34 pm

This does sound like the sort of book that a 10 year old boy would enjoy but I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t!