September 5, 2012

All of today’s words came from The Roots of the Olive Tree by Courtney Miller Santo.

1. drupe – “That word, drupe, had confused her for many years.”

According to my dictionary, a drupe is an overripe olive.

_____________________________________________________

2. senescence – “If we cannot unlock the mysteries of the process of senescence, we will continue to prolong life without any measurable benefit to mankind.”

This word seemed very familiar to me, but I couldn’t define it.  Senescence means the state of being old: the process of becoming old.

_____________________________________________________

3. glaucous – “She watched the dry summer breeze blow across the orchard and stir the glaucous leaves.”

I find it interesting that my dictionary defined this in conflicting ways, any of which could fit this sentence:

1. of a pale yellow-green color
  2. of a light bluish-gray or bluish-white color
  3. having a powdery or waxy coating that gives a frosted appearance and tends to rub off

_____________________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. September 5, 2012 4:30 am

Uhm, I knew glaucous only in meaning #2, and only used to describe the sky, so I guess that’s not the colour of those leaves. Drupe is interesting, I didn’t know there even was a thing such as an overripe olive!

2. September 5, 2012 5:16 am

I knew senescence, I think it’s the same root as senile. The other words are new for me too.

3. September 5, 2012 7:53 am

I’m still working on using nurdle. In fact, I’ve had to use it almost every day! LOL

4. September 5, 2012 7:55 am

I found your blog through another one Suko’s Notebook…I just recently discovered “senescence” through the remake of Freaky Friday. Funny how even movies can provide us with new words!

5. September 5, 2012 8:04 am

Gollee, don’t know any of these words. Thanks!

6. September 5, 2012 9:25 am

These are new to me.

7. Beth Hoffman permalink
    September 5, 2012 10:17 am

I love the sound of the word drupe, it makes me laugh. LOL

8. September 5, 2012 11:09 am

I’m reading The Roots of the Olive Tree right now, and came across drupe last night. 😀 It’s a goofy word!

9. September 5, 2012 12:02 pm

How odd that glaucous can be 2 different colors! Interesting words.

10. September 5, 2012 12:19 pm

I need to read this book just for the vocabulary additions! Drupe is great because it sounds like the olive is droopy (yuck!).

11. September 5, 2012 12:29 pm

Very wierd that glaucous means different things and they all fit. I’ve not heard ‘senescence’ before – it’s a lovely word for the aging process. And drupe? Well that’s just silly.

12. September 5, 2012 12:39 pm

I particularly like the words you’ve listed today beause I looked up the first 2 while readin The Roots of the Olive Tree! I don’t remember looking up glaucous but would have thought the definition was something like the third in your list of possibilities because of the word’s similarity to glaucoma. I’m going to look this word up and se what I find!

I like the word ‘drupe’ alot. ‘Senescence’ seemed familiar to me, too but I don’t know why and it’s meaning didn’t help!

I finally got organized enough to participate today!

13. September 5, 2012 12:49 pm

I don’t like the process of senescence…sigh.

14. September 5, 2012 12:53 pm

Hi Kathy,

Three great words and all of them new to me.

I love olives, but the thought of eating a ‘drupe’ isn’t quite so appealing!

Like Amy, I instantly thought of glaucoma when I saw the word glaucous, so I would probably have related that to your third definition … it just seems to be one of those very vague words that appear all too often in the English language.

Senescence, is just one of those words that I am never going to use in ‘real life’ … Old is old, in any language and unfortunately I am getting there all too quickly … there really is no need to attach a fancy name to it!!

‘Drupe’ has to be my favourite word this week,

Yvonne

15. September 5, 2012 12:55 pm

Never knew drupe was associated with the olive.

16. September 5, 2012 1:58 pm

Nice words, glaucous is interesting.

17. September 5, 2012 2:01 pm

I’m glad to have a big fancy word – senescence – for this process I seem to be more conscious of every morning.

18. September 5, 2012 2:48 pm

I didn’t know any of them. I’m not too crazy about senescence though.

19. September 5, 2012 4:14 pm

I feel so smart now

20. September 5, 2012 4:44 pm

Odd that glaucous has different definitions, any of which could fit the sentence.

21. September 5, 2012 5:02 pm

the state of being old: the process of becoming old…that one is getting more familiar, day by day.

22. September 5, 2012 6:56 pm

I think I love the word drupe!

23. September 5, 2012 6:59 pm

All new to me! Drupe is a funny one – I don’t think I’d ever have guessed that meaning. Thanks for expanding my vocabulary!

24. zibilee permalink
    September 5, 2012 6:59 pm

Since glaucous was defined in so many ways, I wonder which the author meant to convey. Great words today, as usual, my vocabulary rich friend!

25. September 5, 2012 7:07 pm

The second one was the only one familiar to me, but I probably would have gotten it wrong if asked to give a definition.

26. September 5, 2012 7:46 pm

Didn’t know any of these!!

September 5, 2012 7:47 pm

That is strange that glaucous has too meanings that conflict.

28. September 5, 2012 9:40 pm

I can’t believe that drupe is a word, especially considering I’ve never ever had to use the words over-ripe and olive together. 😀

29. inkyclean permalink
    September 5, 2012 9:59 pm

I love this feature! I have to admit I haven’t heard any of these words before, but I’m always happy to learn knew ones. It’s fascinating to me how many forms the English language can take. I love the sound of senescense…

30. September 6, 2012 5:28 pm

Lots of new words… the last one is really interesting. Such different definitions but I love that they all work!

31. September 6, 2012 6:06 pm

“Drupe” is new to me. How ripe is over-ripe, I wonder. Never met an olive I didn’t love — but I don’t know about drupes. Great word!

32. September 7, 2012 5:50 pm

I’m glad that “drupe” is a word not used very often. Otherwise it would get often confused with “droop,” I think.