Kid Konnection: Captain Underpants and the Terrifying Return of Tippy Tinkletrousers

August 11, 2012

Best friends George and Harold are sent back in time by Tippy Tinkletrousers.  They go back five years, to when they were in kindergarten, and get to relive the day they first met as well as what they did to cope with some bullies.  The ringleader of the bullies just happens to be the principal’s nephew so getting revenge isn’t easy.  George and Harold come up with a plan, but will it work?

Captain Underpants and the Terrifying Return of Tippy Tinkletrousers is the ninth book in the wildly popular Captain Underpants graphic novel series by Dav Pilkey, but it was my first experience with the superhero.  I have to admit that I was a little confused at first but quickly got up to speed and ended up enjoying the story.  The plan George and Harold come up with is clever (and very implausible) and the illustrations are very well done.

I can see why this series appeals to young readers so much – first of all it uses words that kids find fun, like underpants and tinkle.  Secondly, the story is lots of fun and the illustrations are adorable!  And, last but not least, it’s always fun to see the underdog get revenge on the bully.

You really have to suspend disbelief to appreciate the storyline in this Captain Underpants book, but that’s okay because it’s loads of fun.   George and Harold’s plan is exciting and adds tension to the story – I know I wanted to see how things would turn out.

My only complaint with the book is the comics that are written by the boys.  They spell words phonetically and a few of them were hard for me to figure out.  I would think they would be hard and confusing for beginning readers.  Overall, Captain Underpants and the Terrifying Return of Tippy Tinkletrousers is a cute book that will appeal to young readers, boys in particular.

For more children’s books reviews, go to Booking Mama’s feature, Kid Konnection. If you’d like to participate in Kid Konnection and share a post about anything related to children’s books (picture, middle grade, or young adult) from the past week, leave a comment as well as a link on her site.

Review copy provided by Scholastic. I am an Indiebound Affiliate.
  1. talesofwhimsy permalink
    August 11, 2012 7:38 am

Thanks for the note on the spelling.

2. August 11, 2012 9:47 am

I think this is the only way I got my nephew to open a book, Captain Underpants, poor spelling and all encouraged a reader. I dying to buy the series for my new grand nephew but he’s only 3. Thanks Kathy.

3. August 11, 2012 10:42 am

I went to B&N the other day and it looked like the whole store was taken over by Captain Underpants books! I didn’t know about the spelling issue though. I sort of hate that kind of stuff!

4. August 11, 2012 11:19 am

My son has read every book in this series. They definitely appeal to boys!

August 11, 2012 6:26 pm

My second grade boys adored these books…they were the most worn out books in our school library!

August 11, 2012 9:14 pm

I have the exact same complaint with the misspellings. But kids love these.

7. Staci@LifeintheThumb permalink
    August 11, 2012 9:52 pm

I have no problems with the misspellings…my boys flew through these books when they were little and have been readers ever since. The kids at that age are spelling phonetically so I think it gives them something in common 😀

8. August 12, 2012 1:23 pm

You reminded me that I have one of these books on the shelf for review. I think it sounds fun!

9. August 12, 2012 2:49 pm

The phonetic spelling would drive me crazy, but that title is priceless! I know my boys went through a phase where they liked these books.

10. zibilee permalink
    August 13, 2012 1:15 pm

My nephew loves these books, and I know I would be a very popular auntie if I were to send this along to him, so I will be looking for it. Thanks, Kathy!

11. August 13, 2012 10:22 pm

Since he was born in Ohio I need to get him on my Ohio tour!

12. August 14, 2012 2:43 pm

The Girl enjoyed these books a few years ago, but I think she’s grown out of them. I hate when words are misspelled like that in children’s stories!

13. August 16, 2012 9:13 pm

I’m all about my son reading but I wasn’t too thrilled when he brought one of these home. I already get enough “potty” talk from him. (I swear, I hear the words “poop” and “pee” at least 40 times a day from him, accompanied by wild laughter.) He never read another one though so I guess it didn’t grab him.