At the movies: Ted

July 27, 2012
tags: ,

Eight year old Johnny didn’t have many friends, so he wished his teddy bear would come to life.  He unknowingly wished on a falling star, so it came true.  At first Teddy was a media sensation, but once the novelty wore off, he was yesterday’s news.  John and Ted remained lifelong friends, though, and Ted lives together with John and Lori, John’s girlfriend of four years.  When Ted and John’s partying ways get to be too much for her, Lori puts her foot down and John has to decide which relationship means more to him.

After seeing the trailer for Ted, I expected it to be a laugh a minute type movie, but I was disappointed.  We all felt like most of the funny scenes were included in the trailer.  As a matter of fact, I was surprised at how little laughter there was in the theater.  I did think the actors, Mark Wahlberg in particular, did a good job acting opposite the animated character of Ted but, for me, a little of the humor in the movie went a long way – maybe I’m just too old for it.

There were quite a few children at the showing we attended and I want to make it clear that this movie is rated R for a reason – there is a lot of drug usage, crude humor, and foul language that really isn’t appropriate for a younger audience.  Keep in mind that this movie isn’t politically correct and doesn’t hesitate to take on any target.

Ted is getting good marks on the movie ratings sites, so you might want to give it a try.  My recommendation?  Wait to rent it.

1. July 27, 2012 4:59 am

I’ve seen the trailers for this movie, and think I will wait for it to reach the TV in a couple of months time. I do like Mark Wahlberg 🙂

2. July 27, 2012 5:27 am

Bf wants to see this one 😉

3. talesofwhimsy permalink
    July 27, 2012 6:58 am

O the trailer definitely looks R rated. I can’t imagine taking my kid to that. But thanks for the warning. I’m sad to hear the funniest parts are in the trailer. Thanks for that warning too. Sounds like a rental.

4. July 27, 2012 7:30 am

I knew from the trailer that I was too old for the movie 😀

5. sandynawrot permalink
    July 27, 2012 7:31 am

For some reason I have had no interest in seeing this one. I like Mark Wahlberg but it just seemed a little goofy. A guy ahead of me in spin class last weekend said it was the only good movie of the summer, and I just scratched my head. There is no accounting for people’s taste I guess.

6. July 27, 2012 9:28 am

Oh I hate when the trailer turns out to have the only (or mostly only) good parts in a movie!

7. kaye permalink
    July 27, 2012 9:35 am

Drug usage, crude humor and foul language? Doesn’t even sound worth renting, imho. But then, I AM an old fuddy duddy. I like plot!

8. July 27, 2012 9:56 am

I will wait for the DVD…not that it will come to our little 2screen theater anyway, but I’ll wait.

9. July 27, 2012 10:07 am

Hmmm… I hate it when all the good parts are in the movie trailer. This one would be apass for me 😉

10. July 27, 2012 10:33 am

That’s why I don’t like to watch the movie trailers, they tend to show too much and ruin it.
    Hubby and I went to see Ted on opening night. I’m a fan of Macfarlane and Wahlberg so I was really looking forward to this one.
    I really enjoyed this movie. I actually laughed so hard I was crying at one point. 🙂 (at the end with the re-stuffing bit)I thought it was just silly and fun. And Ted is tooo cute 🙂

11. July 27, 2012 11:22 am

Kids in the theatre?! It was really obvious to me from the trailers this wasn’t a family-friendly movie, and I hadn’t even realized it’s rated R. Yikes. I’ve heard mixed reviews — think I’ll wait until Netflix can let me investigate!

12. July 27, 2012 11:26 am

I was thinking about seeing it, but now it doesn’t sound like my type of movie.

13. July 27, 2012 12:07 pm

The commercials for it are pretty funny. I don’t think I will go see it though, but wait for it. I do a lot of that.

14. July 27, 2012 12:58 pm

I’m too old for the movie but my husband wants to see it! So we’ll wait for the dvd.

15. July 27, 2012 1:13 pm

Yes, it looks amusing, but i think a rental it is!

16. July 27, 2012 1:52 pm

I probably wouldn’t appreciate this one either. So sad that kids were in the theater!

17. zibilee permalink
    July 27, 2012 2:33 pm

I saw the trailer for this one, and knew that I wouldn’t see it. It looked kind of strange, and I could definitely see that the humor would be crude. I agree with Julie, it makes me sort of sad and angry that parents took their kids to see this one. I had hoped that it would be light and funny, but I guess that wasn’t the aim they took with this one. Sorry it disappointed you.

July 27, 2012 3:13 pm

I think that I am not a fan of comedies unless I am watching them at home while reading…lol…

19. July 27, 2012 3:22 pm

I’m a Mark Walberg fan, and will look for this on Netflix in the future.

20. July 27, 2012 8:11 pm

I heard one rave review (from a radio DJ) but since I know enough about how foul that DJ’s tastes are, your review doesn’t surprise me. Then again sometimes odd movies tickle my funnybone (like Blades of Glory). I’ll definitely wait until it’s out on dvd though.

21. stilettostorytime permalink
    July 27, 2012 10:52 pm

I liked it but I was a bit disappointed too…I did expect it to be funnier. My husband liked it more but I think that might be a generational thing to…he’s 11 years older than me and used to watch Flash Gordon…I didn’t even know who that was…so he enjoyed it a bit more. Still all in all it made me laugh and I need that as much as I can get it!

Courtney

22. July 28, 2012 9:14 am

I have no desire to watch this movie even though I like Mark Walberg.

23. July 28, 2012 10:11 am

I’ve always thought it hard to make, and sell, a movie with a male actor and a pet toy, The Beaver (Mel Gibson) comes to mind. And now Ted. Thanks for your review which I think is very useful. I think I’ll just skip this one… Didn’t see The Beaver either.

24. July 28, 2012 10:18 am

Hubby and I saw TED recently and had a good laugh. If you like cheese…and Flash Gordon, this one is for you. No way I’d take children to this movie, though.

25. July 29, 2012 1:06 am

Hi Kathy,

This isn’t my kind of film, I have to say. My youngest niece would probably disagree with me quite strongly about that, as this sounds right up her street, I shall be seeing her today, so I’ll let you know!!

I think that in general, the film has received some very mixed reactions from its audiences. It sounds like a bit of a ‘marmite’ film, you either love it, or hate it!!

Yvonne

26. Staci@LifeintheThumb permalink
    July 29, 2012 5:08 pm

My son is 17…he loved this movie. I think it was made for him 😀

27. July 29, 2012 10:50 pm

I was not a fan of this one. I think I gave it a D. I enjoyed the 80’s references but thought it was a comedy that took itself too seriously. I can’t believe people took kids to this movie and didn’t leave by the middle!

28. July 30, 2012 9:18 pm

I suspected this was a rental rather than a night out at the movies. We’re Family Guy fans and I kind of know what to expect. My son saw a trailer and wanted to go and I said NO WAY!!!