Weekend Cooking: The Cookie Dough Lover’s Cookbook

July 22, 2012

Okay, I admit it – when I bake cookies, I usually eat so much of the dough as I’m going along, that I’m not hungry for cookies anymore when they come out of the oven.  I know they say not to eat the dough because of the raw egg, but I survived it as a kid and figure I’ll survive it now.  Imagine my delight when I found out there’s a cookbook devoted to cookie dough!  The author must be a kindred spirit because she created it because she loves cookie dough as well.

Lindsay Landis set out to create an egg-free cookie dough that she could eat without baking and came up with Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles – basically egg-free cookie dough dipped in chocolate.  The popularity of those treats made her realize there are other cookie dough lovers out there so she came up with even more recipes and a gorgeous cookbook – The Cookie Dough Lover’s Cookbook!  The cookbook is aptly named because all cookie dough lovers NEED this cookbook!

Before I mention the contents, I have to tell you this cookbook is beautiful.  It is spiral bound and filled with gorgeous, mouth watering photographs.  (Not every recipe is pictured, but most are.)  It also includes quick tips and creative packaging ideas

The foundation, so to speak, of The Cookie Dough Lover’s Cookbook is a recipe for eggless chocolate chip cookie dough that is meant to be eaten raw.  There are also variations of the recipe – dairy and gluten free – as well as flavors such as oatmeal raisin and peanut butter.  Really, you could stop right there, but why would you, when this cookbook includes, candy, cookies & brownies, cakes, frozen treats, breakfasts, and party fare!  Every single recipe in this book looks good to me.  Every single one.  It was hard to decide what to create, but I settled on Crispy Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Cups.  I found them to be a little labor intensive, but they were really good.  (Vance didn’t care for the rice cereal in them.)  I think the real beauty of this recipe is you can vary it to suit your taste.

Crispy Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Cups

For Cookie Dough:
1/3 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
1/3 cup granulated sugar
½ cup light brown sugar, packed
2 tablespoons milk or cream
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt (increase to ¼ teaspoon if using unsalted peanut butter)
½ cup crisp rice cereal

For chocolate coating:
1 pound dark-chocolate candy coating

Special equipment:
#4 fluted candy cup mold (13/8 inch diameter)

In a large bowl, beat together butter, peanut butter, and sugars with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes.  Mix in milk and vanilla.  Stir in flour and salt and mix on low speed (or by hand) until incorporated.  Gently stir in cereal.

Melt candy coating in a double boiler or microwave according to package directions, being careful not to overheat it.  Pour ½ teaspoon melted coating into each mold and use a small spoon or pastry brush to coat the sides.  Reserve about half of the coating to top the cups later.  Refrigerate mold briefly to set.

Gently press 1 teaspoon cookie dough into each chocolate cup.  You want to fill each cup almost completely but still leave room for the final layer of chocolate.

Top each cup with another ½ teaspoon coating and spread it to the edges to fully encase filling.  Chill until set, then gently remove cups from mold.  Repeat with remaining dough.  Refrigerated in an airtight container, cups will keep up to 3 days.

Weekend Cooking is hosted by Beth Fish Reads and is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend.

Review copy provided by Quirk Books. I am an Indiebound Affiliate.
  1. July 22, 2012 7:40 am

my hubby is a baker and I do not bake, other than a really good, very different apple crumble. That said I’m gonna let him have a look at this recipe. Anything with peanut butter in is special in my books 🙂

2. July 22, 2012 8:23 am

Oh Mother Mary!!! I’m just shaking my head…those look sooooo good! I’m assuming this is not a diet-conscious cookbook. Ha! I am a cookie dough addict. I haven’t gotten sick from raw egg yet either, although sometimes I do get sick from just eating too much of it.

3. July 22, 2012 8:42 am

Yum yum yum, must have!

4. Beth F permalink
    July 22, 2012 9:00 am

I have this cookbook and can’t wait to make something from it. This recipe would be perfect with sunbutter (a peanut butter substitute).

5. talesofwhimsy permalink
    July 22, 2012 9:32 am

I could never make these for fear I would eat the whole batch.

6. July 22, 2012 9:42 am

You know I’m a sucker for cookbooks…and chocolate chip cookie dough! LOL..I’m just like you, I eat so much dough, I really don’t want the cookies once they’re out of the oven.

7. July 22, 2012 10:14 am

I agree with Debbie – why bother baking them?!!! LOL

8. July 22, 2012 10:20 am

Oh my goodness! This sounds like the book for me! Kathy, I know what you mean about eating so much cookie dough that you no longer want the cookies that are baking. I do it all the time. It’s gotten to the point where I don’t bake cookies, just sit around eating the dough! 😉

9. sprungatlast permalink
    July 22, 2012 11:38 am

Too funny. I was JUST looking at this cookbook in the store. The Child is addicted to Cookie Dough in all its forms. Now I think I’ll get it, she’ll love it. Great review – thanks!

10. July 22, 2012 11:48 am

I wish I had the patience to cook or bake. It all sounds so yummy!!

Beth ^_^

11. July 22, 2012 1:08 pm

I also love cookie dough, but not as much as I did when I was a kid. I’ll have to look for this cookbook and whip up something fun for a party. Thanks for sharing!

12. July 22, 2012 1:17 pm

This looks so delicious. Thank you for the recipe. I have a lot of peanut butter lovers in my house, so this should go over big!

13. July 22, 2012 2:32 pm

I’d seen this book around, but hadn’t quite understood it. I’m so glad you mentioned that it’s an egg-free version of cookie dough — I was wondering about that!

My mother was paranoid about eggs long before it was popular so I’ve rarely eaten cookie dough and never really developed the taste for it. But I’m up for pretty much any treat that combines peanut butter with chocolate — those look delicious!

Joy’s Book Blog

14. Chinoiseries permalink
    July 22, 2012 3:14 pm

Cookie dough, yum… I like it best in ice cream, but egg-free cookie dough does make for a safe way to consume large quantities 😉 This book is on my wishlist, maybe it’s time to finally purchase it!

July 22, 2012 3:18 pm

Oh my goodness…those look amazing!

16. July 22, 2012 3:34 pm

I am all in for this cookbook. My aunt taught me how to bake cookies ages ago and we always ate far too much of the batter.

17. July 22, 2012 4:02 pm

Wow, the cookbook sounds fantastic and the treats look awesome!

18. July 22, 2012 4:27 pm

Oh my gosh! I love cookie dough, and I love baking (I made homemade Kit Kats this weekend!) so this looks like the perfect cookbook.

Hm. Wonder if I can convince my library to order a copy. 😉

19. July 22, 2012 4:39 pm

This cookie dough thing is not something that is known here in New Zealand – is it a strictly North American thing? Hope you enjoyed my post about Coronation chicken

Cheers

20. July 22, 2012 8:09 pm

I have been hearing good things about this cookbook.

21. July 22, 2012 8:50 pm

I need this cookbook! Sounds like there might some recipes for Booking Son with his food allergies.

22. lisabutterybooks permalink
    July 22, 2012 11:31 pm

I too ate tons of raw cookie dough and never once got sick. I am still reluctant to let me kids eat it though. Those cookies do look labor intensive but I bet they were delicious.

23. July 23, 2012 2:58 am

These look amazing!

24. Staci@LifeintheThumb permalink
    July 23, 2012 8:05 am

I am liking the idea of no egg! My Daughter-in-Law loves to bake and this just might be a book I need to get for her for Christmas!!

25. July 23, 2012 8:13 am

OOH – this book would be so dangerous in my home! YUM!

26. July 23, 2012 8:57 am

Wow, this sounds like a great cookbook for those that don’t want to use egg for one reason or another.

27. zibilee permalink
    July 23, 2012 11:57 am

We are all cookie dough lovers at this house, so it seems as if this would be the perfect book for my family to pore over and create from. Melissa would really love this one, and I can see myself buying it for her at some point. Did you know that she wants to be a baker? With this book under her eye, she wouldn’t have any trouble creating new and unusual delights! Great review and recipe, Kathy!

28. July 23, 2012 12:25 pm

This sounds like a very dangerous book!

29. July 23, 2012 2:23 pm

This book sounds delicious!

30. July 23, 2012 9:08 pm

I will admit it too. But I need to pretend I didn’t see this book…

31. July 24, 2012 9:33 am

Oh my goodness does this look wonderful. Thank you for sharing.

I do something similar when making matza balls from scratch. I love shaping them into the matza balls and dropping them into the hot soup, but I also like to eat the “batter” raw (though it contains raw eggs…)

32. July 24, 2012 11:38 am

Reeses cups are my favorite candy bar treats and these look just like them, Yum!

33. July 24, 2012 11:39 am

Oh my, the cover alone is making me drool .

34. July 24, 2012 9:29 pm

I must have this although I don’t plan to stop eating raw cookie dough with egg…

35. July 24, 2012 10:44 pm

I keep coming across reviews for this cookbook and when I saw it at work on a cart to be shelved the other day, I was very tempted to buy a copy. But as Softdrink noted, this is a dangerous book! Maybe I can buy it for my daughter for Christmas…and sneak a peek before I ship it off to her. 🙂

36. July 26, 2012 9:30 pm

I’m a little miffed that I skipped dessert with dinner right now.