BEA/NY 2012 Part 1

June 15, 2012

Sunday

Book Expo America was held June 5 through 7 this year and I was lucky enough to attend.  I arrived in New York on Sunday, the 3rd, and only had to wait a little while for my roommate – Julie of Booking Mama.  You know Julie’s a saint because this is the third year in a row she’s put up with me as a roomie.

We decided we wanted to see a play so headed for the Times Square box office right away.  We were thrilled to score tickets to Memphis and then headed to John’s Pizza to grab a bite to eat.  After eating, we went to our room to freshen up and then went to the play.  Let me tell you, it was fantastic!!   I actually felt chills when Montego Glover sang one of her solos.  The play was fun but also tackled some serious issues and is well worth seeing if you get the chance.

Later that evening, we met friends, Dawn of She is Too Fond of Books, Candace of Beth Fish Reads, Nicole of Linus’s Blanket, Lydia Hirt, and Miriam Parker for dinner and drinks at Agave.  Trish of Hey Lady, Jenn of Jenn’s Bookshelves and Lenore of Presenting Lenore were able to join us later.

Monday

We woke up to a dreary, drizzly day on Monday but that didn’t dampen our spirits.  We were lucky enough to meet Chelsy and Brittany of Big Honcho Media for breakfast at Le Pain Quotidien – it was fun to catch up with Chelsy and to meet Brittany.  Because of the weather, our tourist activity was confined to the indoors and we ended up going to Madame Tussaud’s Wax Museum, which was VERY touristy but fun.  From there we decided to experience Pinkberry since we’d heard so much about it before heading over to Clinton St. Baking Company.  Both Julie and I have reviewed their cookbook so we were excited to experience the restaurant – it’s small and busy and did not disappoint!

The first party that evening was Scholastic‘s.  It featured fun food and authors Sharon Cameron, Donna Cooner, James Dashner, Jeff Hirsch, Kate Messner, Eliot Schrefer, Maggie Stiefvater and Raina Telgemeier.  Instead of traditional readings, the authors divided into two groups and “acted out” scenes from their books.  Needless to say, it was tons of fun to watch!

From there, we headed to the Harper Collins party.  It was so much fun to see old friends and to meet authors Alex Stone and Charles and Caroline Todd.  After the party, we had our traditional Chipotle dinner with Dawn and Candace, once again closing the restaurant down.

Tuesday

We attended the Adult Author breakfast on Tuesday morning.  It featured Stephen Colbert, Junot Diaz, Barbara Kingsolver, and Jo Nesbo.  I enjoyed all of the authors, but have long been a fan of Kingsolver’s so I was thrilled to see she’s funny as well as articulate.

We had a couple meetings that morning and then hit the show floor for a little while before heading to Harper Collins for an e-book event.  We learned how e-books are created and marketed and found out that there are some exciting innovations in the works for the medium.  Creating e-books isn’t as cheap as everyone thinks it is.  At the end of our meeting, we were surprised with a visit from Wiley Cash and he autographed books for us.

That evening, we attended the launch party for Danish author Sara Blaedal‘s book Only One Life.  It was fun to chat with her and to taste some Danish goodies!

We grabbed a bite to eat and explored Eataly before calling it a day.

1. June 15, 2012 4:16 am

what a fantastic time you had. so nice to share it with a like-minded person. Our Book Fair in Cape Town is this weekend, might be able to get there.

2. June 15, 2012 4:25 am

I am so jealous! I really want to get to BEA one day.

3. June 15, 2012 6:47 am

The week is so packed with fun and work and learning that it all becomes a blur. Fun write-up.

4. June 15, 2012 6:56 am

I love “you and Lucy”. Sounds like you had a nice time.

5. June 15, 2012 7:06 am

I tend to get so busy I miss out on the “touristy” part. I need to make time for that – the wax museum sounds like fun, and this is the first year I did not take time out for a play. It was fun to read how you spent your non BEA time 🙂

6. sandynawrot permalink
    June 15, 2012 7:08 am

Nesbo….Nesbo….Nesbo…

OK have to gather myself. I can’t even tell you how freaked out I would have been if I’d have been able to meet him. I’d have embarrassed myself. I can’t even comment on all the goodness here. I loved Clinton St. Bakery Cookbook (thanks to you and Julie) so very jealous of that. Jealous of seeing all the bloggers, of meeting the authors, ack. Save me a spot in 2018.

7. June 15, 2012 7:14 am

Sounds like you had a lot of fun! I’m going to be more organized and stay longer next year, and have to fit more sightseeing in, definitely. Glad to hear about your experiences!

8. June 15, 2012 7:24 am

It sounds like so much fun. One of these years I’ll get there… if only they wouldn’t schedule my history exam during BEA.

9. June 15, 2012 8:39 am

I’m glad to hear Kingsolver is funny. When she’s funny is when I think she’s at her best, in fiction.

10. June 15, 2012 9:16 am

You all always do the best stuff! If I come again I’m going to follow you all around all day!

11. Beth Hoffman permalink
    June 15, 2012 10:05 am

I absolutely LOVE that pic of you with Lucy! What a fun post this is.

Happy Weekend!

12. June 15, 2012 10:46 am

Kinda jealous that I wasn’t able to make it this year, but I’m so glad that you had a great time!

13. June 15, 2012 10:50 am

You had so much fun before the Expo even began!! I’m going to have to come into the city early next year so I can join in!

14. talesofwhimsy permalink
    June 15, 2012 10:52 am

What fun fun. My husband went to the wax museum in Las Vegas once and we loved it.

15. June 15, 2012 10:59 am

You guys know how to do it right!! A good mix of business and fun for sure.

16. anovelsource1 permalink
    June 15, 2012 11:07 am

I’ve read some other accounts of the Scholastic party and it sounds as though that one was probably the most inventive and most fun! Your pictures are great…thanks so much for sharing your BEA experience with us…

17. June 15, 2012 11:43 am

Sounds like you had a great time, that’s how to do New York.

18. June 15, 2012 2:13 pm

I LOVE that picture of you and Lucy! I’m envious of all the fun you guys had. I’ve always been afraid that I wouldn’t really fit in with the BEA crowd but I would love to meet you someday!

19. June 15, 2012 5:23 pm

So fun 🙂 I wish I had been there

20. June 15, 2012 6:24 pm

WHat a fun time you had, Kathy. You went to some great spots to eat (and drink!) and the wax museum is fun. Great idea to see a show. I’ll have to keep that one in mind. You saw and met some terrific authors, too!

I have to remember to keep my week clear and get over my fears and attend next year, at least part of the time

June 15, 2012 8:25 pm

I really don’t even need to do a wrap up post. Since we did everything together, I can just refer everyone to your post!

22. June 15, 2012 9:23 pm

I love reading all of the BEA posts and living vicariously. You do seem to know all the right people for all the best parties 🙂
    Seeing a show everytime we’re in NYC is a must. Of course, that hasn’t been for awhile 😦

23. June 15, 2012 9:37 pm

What a great wrap-up post (part I!). I love that you and Julie fit so much fun/tourtisty activities in with all the bookish goodies, too — and that a Broadway show is an annual BEA tradition.

You forgot to mention that you saw Rachael Ray on Monday 🙂

24. Staci@LifeintheThumb permalink
    June 15, 2012 10:18 pm

What a whirlwind week from the very moment your feet stepped into NYC!!!

25. June 16, 2012 7:49 am

Wow, and this is only Part I?!! Sounds like a wonderful time with good friends, authors and publishing industry people. I’m so jealous you got to meet Charles and Caroline Todd! I love the Bess Crawford series.

26. MeMe permalink
    June 16, 2012 10:54 am

The best thing about this day was you and Lucy…………………………….

27. booksnyc permalink
    June 16, 2012 1:28 pm

You really made the most of your time! I love Le Pain Quotodien – they have delicious breakfast and great lunch too!

28. June 16, 2012 8:59 pm

It all sounds like so much fun!

29. June 17, 2012 3:39 pm

Sounds like you had a wonderful time! I’m glad I did all the touristy stuff two years ago, because BEA hasn’t been in my budget since then. Well, I can live vicariously through you, lol. John’s Pizza was great!

30. June 18, 2012 11:42 am

How fun! I admit, I’m now curious as to what makes creating ebooks so expensive.

It sounds like you had great eats while in NYC.

31. June 18, 2012 2:36 pm

Sounds like you had an amazing time! Were you overwhelmed by Eatly? When I went last year I was, but I still had a great meal! I also would love to have breakfast at Clinton Street Baking Company (I reviewed their cookbook too) and loved it.

Thanks for sharing your trip with your readers!

32. litandlife permalink
    June 18, 2012 9:31 pm

As much as I’d love to get to BEA to see all of the new books and get to do the bookish events, it’s the blogger interaction that I really long for. Sounds like you got this BEA trip off to a great start!

33. June 19, 2012 1:41 am

It looks exhausting and terribly fun all at the same time! 🙂

34. June 19, 2012 10:56 am

What a fabulous week you had. Sunday was so much fun. Glad you could join!

35. holdenj permalink
    June 21, 2012 7:44 am

I enjoy reading the wrap-ups of your adventures with Julie every year! So glad Kingsolver was so great! I like her too.

36. June 22, 2012 3:58 pm

Sounds like a great time. I cannot believe that the Scholastic authors acted out parts of their books…fantastic.

June 22, 2012 4:49 pm

I can’t believe I missed this post…loved it and loved your bright colors…you look awesome!

38. June 22, 2012 9:21 pm

that’s it! next year i’m crashing this party–school overnight trip or not. it’s painful to be so close to the city but to miss all the fun. i’d love to hang out with everyone. glad you had a great trip!

39. June 23, 2012 11:33 am

Oh … I wish you’d gotten a shot of Jo Nesbo. And I’d kill to see Steven Colbert. That panel sounds terrific!! Can’t wait to hear about Day 2.

40. June 30, 2012 11:18 am

You certainly had a great time….so many things to do.

Wow!!!