Kid Konnection – Tomorrow Girls #4: Set Me Free

February 25, 2012

The kids from Country Manor School have managed to help Maddie escape from the Phoenix School and have been assigned the task of getting a very important flash drive to the leader of the Resistance.  They have to escape gangs, decipher codes, and break-in to Maddie’s old apartment, but it may not be enough to get them back to their families.

Set Me Free, by Eva Gray, is the final installment in the Tomorrow Girls series and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I do think those who haven’t read the first three books in the series might be a little lost and wouldn’t enjoy it as much.  Even though the ending is a little open ended, I found it to be a satisfying conclusion to the series.

Each book in this series is told from a different point of view and, this time, it’s Maddie’s turn to tell the story.   Since arriving at Country Manor School, Maddie has been full of self doubt, but she discovers her inner strength when she has to.  For me,  the best part of this series is the strong female characters, like Maddie.  They aren’t prefect, but they cooperate and rise to the occasion when necessary.

The Tomorrow Girls series is set in a future that I hope doesn’t come true.  It’s not too graphic or gritty since it’s for the middle grade audience.  (That didn’t keep me from enjoying them.)  This series is a great introduction to dystopia for young readers.

I am an Indiebound Affiliate.

For more children’s books reviews, go to Booking Mama’s feature, Kid Konnection. If you’d like to participate in Kid Konnection and share a post about anything related to children’s books (picture, middle grade, or young adult) from the past week,  leave a comment as well as a link on her site.

I am an Indiebound Affiliate.

1. February 25, 2012 8:02 am

I pulled these out for Booking Daughter just this week and told her you really enjoy this series. I think she will too!

2. February 25, 2012 8:42 am

It seems to me that most female protagonists have some sort of flaw. It may be something big; it may be small. I’m like you, I like that. It makes them more “real” to me. A lot of the male protagonists that I read are not flawed. They may have something in their past, but somehow it’s not something that directly affects what they’re doing in the book. (Sorry for the rambling. I’m just thinking through my fingers.)

Anywho, this sounds like a series I might like. Thanks.

3. February 25, 2012 8:45 am

I’m so mad. I keep finding these but not the FIRST one and so of course I can’t read them till I get the first one, and I keep forgetting to request it from the library. Maybe I’ll just go do that right now!

4. February 25, 2012 1:51 pm

I thought the Tomorrow Girls series was really great for girls who are just wanting to get into dystopian novels. The author did a good job of showing the different personalities of the girls and they were absorbing but fast-paced.

5. February 25, 2012 2:28 pm

Boy I have some catching up to do! I’ve only read the first book and I didn’t even realize that the next three were out. I’m glad you enjoyed it. 🙂

6. February 25, 2012 2:31 pm

I have these and have totally forgotten about them…there is so much I want and need to read that it is frustrating sometimes…

7. February 25, 2012 2:37 pm

Wow, where does time go? It seemed like only yesterday that my daughter and I read book one. I really, really should get her the next three books, especially after your rave reviews of all of them!

8. February 25, 2012 3:30 pm

O this sounds goooood. Right up my alley actually.

9. February 25, 2012 3:40 pm

I will definitely have to request the first in this series from the library. I don’t normally like dystopian, but the mystery/thriller element in these is intriguing.

10. February 25, 2012 6:42 pm

Sounds like a perfect series to add to the shelves. I will be having a Scholastic Book Fair in March..maybe these books will be on it!

11. February 26, 2012 8:17 am

I have never read a dystopian book for middle grade readers, but this might be something that the kids and I could enjoy. I am glad to hear that the last installment didn’t disappoint, and that it was such a good read for you! Very well crafted review today, Kathy!

12. February 27, 2012 4:10 pm

I’ll have to keep this in mind for the middle schoolers I know. I know that kids of this age like to get into a good series and the dystopian thing is really popular with them as well.

13. May 2, 2013 10:01 pm

i luvvvvvvvv these awsome books but my teacher does not have the 4th one set me free do u think barnes & nobles will have it? any way i think any girl 10-14 would luv these books if the like adventer with a little bit of romance!!!<3 luv Rosies point of veiw the best took me 2 hours 2 read it! if u liked these u should try divergent its a little bit over the reading level i would say 13-17 well my teacher is reading it sooooo…. maybe over that ❤ luv it any way sooooooo try it!!!