February 22, 2012

Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading. If you want to play along, grab the button, write a post and come back and add your link to Mr. Linky!

My words this week come from The Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown.

1. frotteur – “In New York, Bean chose the subway because of the reading time it afforded, free of questions but not of distractions — the frotteurs, the over-the-shoulder-readers, the panhandlers, the nosy parkers with opinions going spare — though Bean rapidly learned to dispatch each one of these with ease while keeping one eye moving down the page.”

Frotteur is not in my dictionary, but according to dictionary.com, it means a person who practices frottage. Frottage is in my dictionary and it has a couple of meanings. The one I think the author intended is the act of obtaining sexual stimulation by rubbing against another person or object.

_____________________________________________________

2. pre-prandial – “He and our mother had long ago begun the tradition of pre-prandial walks, the most our mother could ever be expected to adhere to a schedule.”

I felt like I should know this word as I read it, but I didn’t, so I looked it up. Pre-pandial means of or relating to the period immediately before lunch or dinner. I was right, I should have know it!

_____________________________________________________

Have you discovered any new words lately?

1. February 22, 2012 3:57 am

Hi Kathy,

I have come across ‘post-prandial’ before, so ‘pre-prandial’ makes perfect sense, I guess.

‘Frotteur’ is an amazing word, ‘Frottage’ even more so. I would never have guessed the meaning of this one and would love to include it in conversation, but only with someone who had no idea what it meant, or I may be in danger of getting thumped!!

The book itself also sounds like a great read, I can see from the synopsis where some of the strange words might come from. Another for my ever growing reading list, that’s for sure.

Thanks for hosting

2. February 22, 2012 6:10 am

Great words! I will have to be on the look out for those pesky frotteurs!

3. February 22, 2012 6:45 am

Lol, what a word to discover

4. February 22, 2012 7:02 am

I know I’ve see the word frotteur before (you have to word that phrase rather carefully!), but had forgotten the meaning. As Yvonne has suggested post-prandial is quite common. Pre-prandial does make sense, but I’ve never seen it used before. It sounds an interesting book.

5. February 22, 2012 8:20 am

I didn’t know either of these.

6. February 22, 2012 9:03 am

Ew on frotteur! Don’t want to run into one of those.

7. February 22, 2012 9:10 am

That was sort of a strange book. I’ll be interested to hear what you say!

8. kaye permalink
    February 22, 2012 9:19 am

Frotteurs? Ugh, one reason NOT to take the subway.

9. February 22, 2012 9:22 am

I still need to read the book and when I do I’ll probably smile when I run across the words. I’d probably use pre-prandial more than frotteur (that word must not be in my macbook dictionary because it just underlined it) in everyday conversation.

10. February 22, 2012 10:20 am

The meaning of both words are new for me, though pre-prandial is familiar. I’m going to be reading this book soon so thank you for the words!

11. RebeccaV permalink
    February 22, 2012 10:43 am

I’m even more excited now to read The Weird Sisters. It’s coming up next on my stack – after seeing it on your blog earlier – so I look forward to finding these words and actually knowing what they mean in advance. Both were new to me today but thanks for posting them so they won’t be new when I read them in the book!

12. February 22, 2012 10:53 am

I looked up these very same words when reading this book! Great minds think alike!

13. February 22, 2012 10:58 am

Oh the things that go on in the subway! I didn’t know the meaning of that word either, but I have come across pre-prandial etc.

14. February 22, 2012 11:00 am

I didn’t know either words. I was going to play this week, but my current read is aimed at middle grade/teens and I haven’t find any words I didn’t know yet.

15. February 22, 2012 11:11 am

Never heard of these, but beware of the frotteurs.

16. February 22, 2012 11:53 am

Frotteur seems like a nicer way of saying that about a person.

17. February 22, 2012 12:45 pm

Pre-prandial seems like one I’ve come across before. But, like you, it didn’t ring a bell.

18. February 22, 2012 1:49 pm

I thought maybe frotteur was related in some way to voyeur, but I hadn’t heard of it before. I hope to run into as few frotteurs in life as possible. Yuck!

It amazes me the words you find. I read The Weird Sisters and didn’t even notice frotteur.

19. February 22, 2012 2:18 pm

Yikes…I better start reading that book…I have had it for forever…I guess I could learn stuff from it…lol…

20. February 22, 2012 3:56 pm

These were both new to me! Pre-prandial is interesting; I looked up prandial and it means relating to a meal–makes sense! Thank you for hosting this terrific meme, Kathy. 🙂

21. February 22, 2012 3:57 pm

Those are great words. I wouldn’t have known either without any context.

22. February 22, 2012 4:22 pm

Interesting words. ewwww about those Frotteurs!

23. February 22, 2012 4:31 pm

Frotteur. What a beautiful sounding word for a weirdo! Speaking of weirdos, The Weird Sisters sounds great. Thanks for the inspiration.

24. February 22, 2012 5:10 pm

*remembering all the people she bumped into on the subway in NYC*
    ewwwwwww

25. February 22, 2012 6:46 pm

Kathy,

I enjoyed your WWW, as I just picked up “Weird Sisters” at the library! Now I’ll know what those words mean when I run across them! 🙂

Muzette

26. February 22, 2012 7:11 pm

I read this book and enjoyed it, but apparently didn’t look up either of these words. I think I would have remembered frotteur!

27. February 22, 2012 9:05 pm

Ewww to frotteur!

28. February 22, 2012 9:13 pm

Unfortunately, I learned the hard way about frotteurs on the Metro in Paris. Interesting words this week.

29. February 23, 2012 3:35 am

Never heard “frotteur” before, but I’m glad to know it. And it’s one of the reasons I stay away from the NYC subway!

30. February 23, 2012 7:50 am

Dahling! I have always enjoyed a pre-prandial G&T – very civilizied! I recommend it – not the G&T per se, you could have a pre-prandial Spritzer, or as our late beloved Queen Mum did, a Dubbonet and lemonade, or even, if you are feeling very continental, a Campari and Soda with a slice of orange. Enjoy being pre-prandial!!

31. February 23, 2012 11:28 am

New to me. Frotteur = creepy!
    and now I’m thinking about a pre-prandial snack.

32. February 23, 2012 6:52 pm

Ha! I love these words..now I just have to figure out where and how to use them!