At the movies: Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

January 29, 2012

Oskar has always been a little bit different, but he’s always had a great relationship with his dad.   His dad would devise “reconnaissance missions” for them to go on together.  When Oskar’s dad is killed in the September 11 attacks, Oskar loses the one person who understands him and he feels like his world has unraveled.  When he discovers a key in his dad’s closet he thinks his dad has left him one final mission to solve.

I went into Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close knowing very little and was surprised at how much I enjoyed the movie.  I thought the acting, particularly Thomas Horn as Oskar, was outstanding.  I felt some of the horror of September 11 all over again when it was depicted in the movie and felt the pain of the families who lost loved ones in the attacks.  The movie is rated PG-13 and I think that’s appropriate because there are scenes that younger children wouldn’t understand.

There are a couple little twists and turns in the movie that captivated me and also one thing that bothered me (I won’t mention what for fear of spoilers) but it was eventually explained.  I can understand why the movie was nominated for an Academy award, but have to admit that I’m a little disappointed that Thomas Horn wasn’t.

I think this is a movie to see in the theater, but be sure to bring tissues with you!

1. January 29, 2012 7:06 am

I’m conflicted. I liked the book (at least the part of it that was about Oskar), the movie was nominated for an Oscar, but the reviews weren’t all that good. I don’t get it. I did hear (I think) that the boy who played Oskar actually won a Jeopardy championship for kids, that he really has no background in acting. Which is pretty amazing if you ask me.

2. January 29, 2012 7:25 am

I was sort of disappointed he wasn’t nominated too!

3. January 29, 2012 8:07 am

I so want to watch this one, but I need to get my hands on this book first. I’ve been hearing great things about both the book and the movie.

4. January 29, 2012 8:16 am

I recently read the book and absolutely LOVED it. I’m always nervous to see the film version of books that I really enjoy and appreciate because they usually just don’t live up to my standards. I’m torn on this one, but definitely recommend you check out the book; it’s lovely.

5. January 29, 2012 8:19 am

Kathy, we went to see this movie yesterday and I really loved Oskar — my heart ached for him along the way. I think it’s a hard movie to recommend because it was so sad. For us it really made us realize what the families directly affected by 9/11 went through –so very sad. What an amazing job that young boy did.

Tom Hanks, Sandra Bullock and John Goodman had such small parts compared to Oskar.

6. January 29, 2012 8:46 am

Yet another movie I need to see! And I know I’ll need tissues!

7. January 29, 2012 9:18 am

My youngest just saw the movie last night and tweeted: “bring tissues!” I have heard nothing but rave reviews and hope to see it myself in the theater soon

8. January 29, 2012 9:42 am

Whew! I was really hoping it was a good movie. I can’t wait to see it.

9. January 29, 2012 9:53 am

I read the book long ago, and have forgotten a lot of it, but do want to get the chance to see this one when I can. It does sound like a really emotional movie, but that is sort of what I would expect based on the book. So, so glad that you enjoyed it! Maybe I can drag Frank to see it with me sometime soon!

10. January 29, 2012 9:56 am

I’ve been conflicted about seeing this movie and about reading the book — maybe I’ll wait until the movie comes out on DVD

11. January 29, 2012 10:25 am

I don’t want to see this one. I still can’t look when I see the clips of the plane flying into the second building. Maybe I’m a wimp, but it’s still too soon for me to see something like this movie.

12. January 29, 2012 10:56 am

This is one of my favorite books so I”m not sure if I’ll see the movie. Though I’ve heard it’s very impactful. Really curious about the part that bothered you! My mom also told me there were things in the book that didn’t make it to the movie that would have made some parts easier to understand.

13. January 29, 2012 11:01 am

I loved this book, but I’ll probably wait to see the movie until I can cry in the privacy of my own home!

14. January 29, 2012 11:08 am

I have resisted reading the novel because I have an iffy relationship with Jonathan Safran Foer’s work. BUT, I saw an interview with Thomas Horn, and he is DELIGHTFUL! I really want to watch the movie and read the book now. Did you know this is his first acting gig?? And he was discovered on a children’s Jeopardy tournament on TV!!! He’s quite a remarkable kid.

15. January 29, 2012 11:56 am

My husband opted not to see the movie because of the sadness he expected. We might try it when it comes out on DVD.

16. January 29, 2012 12:30 pm

I really want to see this and I don’t say that allot. It seems so moving. I can’t wait to try it. Glad to hear you liked it and I look forward to discussing what parts you didn’t like once I try the film.

17. January 29, 2012 12:31 pm

I have been curious about this movie. I will wait for the dvd though since it is a sad one.

18. Lisa permalink
    January 29, 2012 12:42 pm

I’m hearing such wonderful things about this one (including everyone who’s seen it telling me to bring tissues!). There are so many great movies out right now that I want to see; good to know that this is one to make sure to see in the theater!

19. January 29, 2012 12:53 pm

That settles it – I want to go!

20. January 29, 2012 2:07 pm

This one definitely looks sad and compelling.

21. January 29, 2012 5:20 pm

I love the book and remember how disappointed I was in his next book…this is definitely a movie i want to go see in the theater. i’m hoping gabrielle will go with me – she also read the book and loved it

22. January 29, 2012 7:47 pm

I avoid anything 9/11 related. My husband and I nearly broke down watching the trailer. My sister’s office had a straight view of the towers, where her husband was, just like Sandra Bullock’s character did in the movie. Hits too close to home…

23. January 29, 2012 8:02 pm

I was curious how you would feel if you haven’t read the book. I want to see this but I know I’ll need tissues.

24. January 29, 2012 8:13 pm

I loved the book…it touched me deeply. This is one movie that I would be willing to spend money to see at the theater.

25. January 29, 2012 8:30 pm

I haven’t read this book but I do want to see the movie. Probably on DVD since I never manage to get to the theater.

26. January 29, 2012 11:19 pm

Excellent review, Kathy! I think this would be a very touching and powerful movie to see.

27. January 30, 2012 1:03 am

I’m so happy you enjoyed this one! I can’t wait to see it, but I want to read the book first!

28. January 30, 2012 7:21 am

I absolutely adore the book and have been wondering how it translated to the big screen. It sounds like it’s well worth my time.

29. January 30, 2012 9:11 am

This sounds good and I hope its better than that Robert Pattinson movie with 9/11 aspects…ugh that was cheesy and simply a play on emotions.

30. January 30, 2012 11:26 am

My book club read this and we discussed all going to the movie but someone said they heard “it was horrible”. I don’t care – I still want to see it. Thanks for giving a more positive review.

31. January 30, 2012 11:40 am

If I watch this it will probably be at home, in large part because I don’t like crying in public. It’s good to see you liked it so much.

32. January 30, 2012 5:12 pm

This looks good, but where I haven’t read the book yet I haven’t decided if I want to see it or not… I might try and read the book and then watch it on DVD…

33. January 30, 2012 5:22 pm

I’ve seen the previews but am not sure about seeing it. Anything that needs tissues is best seen at home.

34. January 30, 2012 5:40 pm

I really enjoyed this book but I don’t know if I want to see it in a movie form.

35. January 30, 2012 5:43 pm

We went to the movies this weekend but didn’t see this one. I wish we had. I did see the preview for it and now we’ll have to go back.

36. January 30, 2012 9:15 pm

I want to see this one, not enough time to read the book first – will just have to go for it!

37. January 31, 2012 1:16 am

It hasn’t been releasd in South Africa yet, and I probably wouldn’t have gone to see it, but after reading your review I think I could be persuaded. I will take not of the tissue requirement!

38. January 31, 2012 7:11 pm

I’m up for tears. It is so on my list since i’ve seen its trailer!

39. February 1, 2012 4:11 pm

I REALLY enjoyed this book. And now I can’t wait to see the movie!

40. February 1, 2012 5:13 pm

I think you would really like the book too. Even though the book is much, much more heartbreaking than the film. I literally couldn’t see the words on the page because of tears streaming down my face. That was a frequent occurrence when reading the book so I was petrified to see the movie in a theatre. But I saw it with six other women and while there were some tears, it was all very maneagable. I say go see it on the big screen; it’s quite special. But the book is amazing.
    By the way, I see you have a link to Jamie Ford. God, how I wish they would make a movie out of Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet!

41. February 2, 2012 10:15 am

Thanks for stopping by my blog! http://peakedmypinterest.wordpress.com/

I am glad to see you liked Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close…I am reading the book right now so I am looking forward to eventually seeing the movie. You can’t always count on the film living up to the book, so it’s nice to hear this getting such good reviews.