At the movies: The Adventures of Tintin

January 3, 2012

When we lived in France, Vance became a big fan of Tintin.  We had to shop at the Tintin store when we were in Brussels and we still own Tintin dishes, figurines, and books.  Our dog, Milou, is even named after Tintin’s dog.  It was pretty much a given that we’d go see The Adventures of Tintin when Vance and our nephew, Adam, visited over Christmas.  I think we all enjoyed the movie, but I doubt it will make it onto any of our lists of favorites.

The movie actually combines the plot of three Tintin books.  Tintin purchases a model ship at a flea market and almost immediately someone tries to buy it from him.  When he says it’s not for sale, his home is broken into and the ship is stolen.  It turns out that the item they wanted from the ship fell off in Tintin’s house, though, and when Tintin discovers it, he sets off to solve the mystery.

The Adventures of Tintin was filmed with a new kind of animation that I’ve never seen before.  I really liked it and, after a while, forgot that I was watching an animated film.  Steven Spielberg directed it and he did a great job – it had a very real feel to it.  The movie is rated PG, so all but the youngest members of the family can enjoy it.  I think youngsters will enjoy all of the action and the antics of Snowy and adults will enjoy the mystery aspect of the story.  (I was definitely charmed by Snowy.)  This movie has already won several awards and his been nominated for a slew of others.  Tintin fans will want to see it in the theater.

1. January 3, 2012 6:29 am

I used to listen to Tintin tapes when I was little, and I read the comics. He was so cool. Though I do not like the way this movie has been made

2. January 3, 2012 7:24 am

Know you all of you had a great time. We might go this Saturday.:)

3. January 3, 2012 8:18 am

I must be living under a rock because I never heard of Tintin until this movie came out! (Hanging my head in shame) The Girl and I want to see the movie, but will probably rent it rather than see it in the theater. Glad you enjoyed it.

4. January 3, 2012 8:24 am

I got hooked on Tintin and read all of them for the first time when I lived in London as a 12 year old. I am so looking forward to seeing this movie and will probably go this coming weekend.

5. January 3, 2012 8:25 am

This is on my must-see movie list, though I doubt I’ll be seeing movies now without a babysitter. LOL

6. January 3, 2012 8:35 am

I have heard a lot about Tintin, but have never really been exposed to the books before. This sounds like it would be a really interesting movie, so I am going to need to see it before long. I am glad that you and the family enjoyed it! Great movie review today, Kathy!

7. January 3, 2012 8:55 am

I was totally enthralled with the clip. The animation is fabulous!

8. kaye permalink
    January 3, 2012 9:02 am

I’m with Anna never having heard of this character until The Amazing Race. Glad you enjoyed the movie!

9. January 3, 2012 9:14 am

I’m wondering if this is the same animation as The Polar Express? Very cool. I doubt we will see this movie though. I’m sure the kids will think it is below them. Movie snobs.

10. January 3, 2012 9:30 am

Sounds excellent. You make a good point about the animation. It felt different (in the commercials) and I couldn’t figure out why.

11. January 3, 2012 9:37 am

We used to tease my bother-in-law in the 80s because he had a very Tintin hair style. I’m not a big fan of this animation but my son really wants to see this and I think it sounds like a lot of fun.

12. January 3, 2012 10:03 am

I’ve also heard the animation is something else! I’d like to see this one!

13. January 3, 2012 10:57 am

I think I was living under a rock too! I never heard of Tintin until I saw ads for the movie. The animation looks great and I’ll probably see it on DVD.

14. January 3, 2012 11:56 am

I know little about Tintin myself… I had heard of him, but never watched or read anything about him.

15. January 3, 2012 12:58 pm

I really know nothing about Tintin, but my husband has been intrigued by the animation, so we might see it, but I suspect we will wait for the rental.
    Thanks for the review!!

16. January 3, 2012 1:04 pm

I never heard of Tintin either until now, the way it was filmed looks interesting.

17. January 3, 2012 3:05 pm

It does look amazing as far as production value goes. Knowing me, I won’t make it to the theater. I need to find a movie friend!

18. January 3, 2012 3:58 pm

I came across Tintin on-line a few months ago but prior to them was unfamiliar with him. It surprises me that Tintin is so popular in Europe yet never really caught on here. I would like to see the movie at some point to see the animation because I find the work done on animated movies amazing!
    I’m glad you and your family enjoyed this movie even if it isn’t your favorite :o)

19. January 3, 2012 4:14 pm

I think The Polar Express is also filmed using this method. It is a little weird — seeming both real and unreal. My son wants to see this one so I suspect I’ll be going soon.

20. January 3, 2012 4:14 pm

I wanted to see this one but will probably wait until I can watch it at home on DVD. I’m not familiar with the stories but think I would like to read a few of those before I see the movie.

21. January 3, 2012 6:00 pm

Great review, Kathy! This looks like it would be very entertaining. 🙂

22. January 3, 2012 6:50 pm

Tin Tin was and is a big deal at my house too. Thanks for your review.

23. January 3, 2012 8:10 pm

It sounds wonderfully fun…a fun movie to see.

24. January 3, 2012 9:40 pm

I’ve never seen or read Tin Tin. Maybe when Gage gets older that’ll change.

25. January 3, 2012 10:47 pm

I have never read any TinTin stories but have heard really good things about them. It’s interesting that you noted the unique animation – for some reason I just can’t get into it, but others have enjoyed it. Not sure why it irks me but it does. Oh well. The commercials for the movie are really cool. THanks for sharing your thoughts about it!

26. January 4, 2012 1:09 am

I remember a television cartoon version of Tintin that held me spellbound (therefore, quiet) for half an hour each weekday. This is on my “gotta see” list–most likely when it comes out on DVD or BluRay…sigh…the animation sounds fabulous!

27. January 4, 2012 7:03 am

My nephew loved this one. I would like to try this one especially for the unique animation!

28. January 4, 2012 7:20 am

I’m sure it will be better on the big screen, but I’m going to wait until it shows up on HBO or SHO.

29. January 4, 2012 8:01 am

I went and saw it recently too, and just posted my thoughts tonight as well! Glad you enjoyed it.

30. January 4, 2012 2:37 pm

I was debating whether to go see this one. Sounds like one all 3 of us will enjoy.

31. January 6, 2012 10:30 am

I’m glad you all enjoyed the movie. I’m embarrassed to say that I’ve never heard of Tintin. Yikes!

32. January 8, 2012 10:13 am

I never read the books, but I really enjoyed the movie!

33. January 8, 2012 1:39 pm

I’m so so glad to hear you say you enjoyed this one. I am not familiar with the stories at all but this movie has really caught my eye. The animation looks phenomenal. Amazing how far animation has come!

34. January 23, 2012 9:10 am

Have been thinking of seeing the movie and now I think we will!