Saturday Snapshot

December 24, 2011

Downtown Greenville has a fun new attraction this holiday season, Ice on Main.  An open-air ice skating rink is quite a novelty in the South, so Carl and I decided to go check things out.  It was in the 50’s the day we visited.  It looked like everyone was having fun and I was impressed with how well they were skating!

Saturday Snapshot is hosted by Alyce of At Home With Books.  It’s easy to participate – just post a picture that was taken by you, a friend, or a family member and add your link on Alyce’s site.

1. December 24, 2011 4:34 am

That is indeed a rarity in the South. Our city occassionally opens up the ice rink in the civic center. Last week, a radio announcer was talking about it, saying that you could rent skates when you went because who in their right minds would own skates in Florida.

I’ve been ice skating twice. The last time, I got up close and personal with the ice one too many times.

Cute pic!

2. December 24, 2011 4:35 am

I have not skated in years, well if you do not count walking on ice with normal shoes on, lol

3. December 24, 2011 6:56 am

Yes, I would not expect to see these in the South. We do have lots of them here. It’s a fun thing to do for the holiday season.

Hope your holiday is special Kathy.

4. Jayme@Beachreader permalink
    December 24, 2011 6:57 am

We have something similiar in Norfolk near MacArthur Mall. I’m beginning to think that Greenville, SC is the best kept secret. Merry Christmas.

5. December 24, 2011 7:17 am

What a fun thing to have, even in the South. Not sure I would fare very well on the ice though. No experience! LOL

Merry Christmas to you and yours, Kathy! Hope all is well with your family. Take care and hugs!

6. December 24, 2011 7:44 am

There is something about being able to ice skate during the holidays that makes it feel just a little bit more like the season. Looks like fun!

7. December 24, 2011 8:08 am

Isn’t that beautiful?! Thank you for sharing it!

8. December 24, 2011 8:34 am

How fabulous! So much like a storybook kind of downtown, with the ice rink. Thanks for sharing…and for visiting my blog.

Hope you have a great holiday!

9. December 24, 2011 8:52 am

That’s great! I know many people enjoy our outdoor rink here, although I’m not one of them, LOL…I would probably end up in the ER with something broken if I tried to ice skate. But I do enjoy watching & listening to the Christmas music.

Hope you have a Merry Christmas!

10. December 24, 2011 8:58 am

I love to ice skate. Public ice skating rinks always make me smile. Now you have me thinking about a trip to Newport… Btw, we have friends who are moving to Greenville in 2012 sometime…

11. December 24, 2011 9:00 am

That looks like so much fun, good photo.

12. December 24, 2011 9:07 am

We have the same situation in southern California: not much snow or ice. Our town did a portable ice skating rink for a few years and my daughter loved it. Unfortunately, it doesn’t happen anymore.

Happy Holidays!

13. December 24, 2011 9:12 am

How fun! I used to love when they did that in Gainesville — it made Florida seem so Christmasy to me. Have a wonderful Christmas, Kathy!

14. December 24, 2011 9:22 am

No matter how hard I tried (and my mom tried to help), I just could never get the hang of ice skating — or roller skating for that matter. I grew up in the Northeast, so ice skating was a frequent outing, but me and my weak ankles had to spend the time sitting on the bench!

Hope you have a wonderful holiday Kathy 🙂

15. December 24, 2011 9:22 am

Wow, I wouldn’t think it would be cold enough! Greenville is so pretty – what a nice addition!

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

16. December 24, 2011 9:24 am

Lovely.

I would prefer to watch rather than skate 🙂

Happy holidays!

carol

17. December 24, 2011 10:10 am

I’m somewhat like Bookgirl in that skating was not my favourite sport, but I did manage to skate. When our arena in the village had to be taken down, and before the new one was built,our Dad made an ice rink right on the farm. We skated there and in fields that had water in them and were frozen over.
    Our City Hall has a rink every year. In summer it’s a fountain and pool of water. Only skated there once.
    Merry Christmas all. 🙂

18. December 24, 2011 10:38 am

Oh that looks like fun! I love skating! Merry Christmas Kathy!

19. December 24, 2011 11:04 am

That is my kind of ice skating! Mild air and cold ice. We have outdoor skating here but it’s usually too cold to enjoy it.

20. December 24, 2011 11:12 am

So did you go for a spin? 😀

Merry Christmas!!

21. December 24, 2011 12:05 pm

What a surprise to see skating in the South! Marry Christmas to you and yours, Kathy … and to little Milou too!

22. December 24, 2011 12:08 pm

Birmingham, AL used to have an ice skating rink…not sure if it’s still there but that’s where I skated for the first time. I’m not the best ice skater…my ankles don’t appreciate it very much. But, that could also be from living in the south my entire life…not much practice 🙂

23. December 24, 2011 12:20 pm

Did you skate? We usually have a few around here, but this year the weather is not cooperating.

24. December 24, 2011 12:29 pm

That’s really neat that you have an outdoor skating area! I’ve only been ice skating once and that was enough for me. It wasn’t that much of a surprise that I wasn’t into it though – I’m terrible at all forms of skating.

25. December 24, 2011 1:38 pm

Looks like a lot of fun! Over here in Vancouver, its also very rare to find an outdoor skating area. There is one downtown, but from what I know most communities near where I live don’t have due to the expense. And I don’t skate at all; I’m terrible at it.

26. December 24, 2011 2:15 pm

Now that definitely looks like a lot of fun!

27. December 24, 2011 2:21 pm

How much fun is that going to be…are you going to skate soon?

28. December 24, 2011 2:44 pm

I’m always impressed with ice skating, simply because I am the most uncoordinated person and the few times I’ve been out on the ice, I was pretty sure I was close to dying out there!! 🙂 Happy Holidays, Kathy!

29. December 24, 2011 2:46 pm

Just stopping by to wish you, Carl, and Vance a very Merry Christmas and all the best in the New Year!

30. December 24, 2011 4:10 pm

It looks like a lot of fun. The ice-skating rink sure attracted a lot of people!

Have a Merry Christmas, Kathy!

31. December 24, 2011 5:09 pm

Oh, how nice! I used to ice skate a lot with my dad when I was young…and we took my son once, but it just isn’t like it used to be. When I was growing up, it got cold enough often enough that they would flood the parking lot at the community pool and turn it into a rink. Fun times!

Merry Christmas!

Here’s my snapshot: http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2011/12/saturday-snapshot-merry-christmas.html

32. December 24, 2011 6:13 pm

It looks as if everyone here had a good time! Merry Christmas to you and your family, Kathy!

33. December 24, 2011 6:26 pm

Wishing you a wonderful Christmas from down under.

34. December 24, 2011 8:54 pm

I think it looks like such fun!! Even in FL we have indoor rinks, so my kids can skate. I learned when young, on an outdoor pond in park outside of St. Louis. I would hate to try again now….LOL.

35. December 24, 2011 9:04 pm

I can’t skate to save my life, but it does look like fun!

36. December 25, 2011 12:00 am

The place looks packed! Wishing you and your family the merriest of Christmases, Kathy!

37. December 26, 2011 12:22 pm

How adorable. That’s my kind of ice skating weather!

38. December 26, 2011 6:18 pm

How fun! I wish I could ice skate.

Merry belated Christmas to you too!