Hugo

December 16, 2011
tags: ,

When young Hugo is orphaned he’s sent to live with his uncle in a Paris train station.  The only thing he takes with him is an old automaton he and his father have been trying to restore.  Hugo’s uncle is in charge of maintaining the clocks in the train station and, when he disappears, that task falls to Hugo.  When he’s not working on the clocks or scrounging for food, Hugo works on the automaton.  He’s about to give up when he meets someone who just might be able to help him and together they make a huge discovery.

I was really excited to see Hugo because I’ve heard so much about the book the movie is based on.  Because the book has such gorgeous illustrations, I expected the movie to be animated in parts, but it’s not.   The movie is still beautiful though – the sets are grand and elaborate and I loved seeing them.  I thought the acting was outstanding too, but, at just over two hours, I thought the movie was too long.  The middle of the movie dragged for me and I think parts of it could be edited out without affecting the story.  I’ve heard the 3D version of this movie is particularly outstanding, but I didn’t see it since 3D movies make me feel woozy.

Hugo is rated PG, but I think young viewers will have trouble sitting through it.   This is a movie for those who like magical stories – if you’re looking for action and adventure, you need to go elsewhere.  I haven’t read the book the movie’s based on, so I don’t know how closely it follows its storyline and can’t compare the two.  The trailer shows just how beautiful the movie is.

1. December 16, 2011 6:14 am

This movie looks like such fun. I’m glad you reviewed it because I think I’ll wait to see it (but I definitely will be seeing it). As for the book, I should read it at some point, since I’ve only ever heard great things about it. Thanks! By the way, I wear glasses, so seeing it in 3D wouldn’t work for me either 🙂

2. December 16, 2011 6:41 am

Not familiar with this one but it does look good.

3. December 16, 2011 7:12 am

Sigh. I was all excited to watch this sometime soon, but it turns out it won’t be released here until February. So disappointing 😦

4. December 16, 2011 7:44 am

My daughter is reading the book right now, and I’ve promised to take her to the movie as soon as she’s done. More than two hours is a bit long for a kid’s movie, I agree, but I’m still looking forward to it. Thanks for your review!

5. December 16, 2011 8:02 am

I hope to see this one too — but I don’t know when I’ll fit it in.

6. December 16, 2011 8:11 am

For a movie with kids as one of the target audiences, I do think two hours is stretching it. I have an eye issue that makes 3D impossible for me, so I would have to see the regular version. I do prefer magical to action/adventure, so this might be a good one for me.

7. December 16, 2011 8:47 am

I did see it in 3D, and was woozy at first, but got used to it!

8. December 16, 2011 9:02 am

My daughter wants to see this movie, but hearing that it drags, I think that for both of us, it’s best if we wait until it comes out on DVD. I have problems with 3D too, but I’m glad my husband convinced me to see the last Harry Potter film in 3D.

9. December 16, 2011 9:03 am

this movie is on my must see list, but no 3D for me because it makes me sick

10. December 16, 2011 9:07 am

I’m hoping to take my daughter while she’s out of school. I loved the book so much; I can’t wait. I’m glad to hear you enjoyed it to. I hope you’ll give the book a try someday!

11. December 16, 2011 9:41 am

The trailer is fantastic, thamk you for posting it. Two hours is long for children to sit through – I didn’t realize it was that long. I’m sorry it wasn’t quite what you expected. I didn’t know what this movie was about at all! I think, despite how terrific the scenes look, this is one I will wait to watch on the DVD!

12. December 16, 2011 9:43 am

We normally see a movie on Christmas Day but I can’t seem to convince The Fam to see this one. Not sure what we’ll end up seeing this year.

13. December 16, 2011 10:10 am

I’ve been living in a cave. I don’t recall hearing about this, but the video has me captivated … it’s gorgeous!

14. December 16, 2011 10:13 am

I just bought this book for the family for Christmas, and can’t wait to read it and then see the movie. It looks like it will be a winning combo for me, and I can’t wait to see what I think. I am glad that you mostly liked it, but sorry to hear that it dragged in spots. Great review today!

15. December 16, 2011 11:28 am

I am really interested in seeing the movie but no one here wanted to go with me. *sigh* Guess I will wait for it to come out on DVD

16. December 16, 2011 12:16 pm

Lol, as always DVD, I just do not like going to the cinema these days

17. December 16, 2011 12:37 pm

I saw the preview last week-end, don’t know if I will be seeing it yet.

18. December 16, 2011 12:56 pm

I watched the 3D ETX version of this movie couple of weeks back and enjoyed it. I wasn’t blown away – I actually was yawning halfway through, but it was entertaining and beautiful too!

19. December 16, 2011 1:06 pm

Just for those who might be concerned about bringing kids, mine are 13 and 12, and they weren’t the least bit bored. However, both had read the book, and I think it might have meant more to them than if it were “just another movie”. I’m glad you got a chance to see this!

20. December 16, 2011 1:13 pm

We’ll probably skip this one. I actually tried to read the book with my daughter a while ago and it just didn’t grab either of our attention.

21. December 16, 2011 2:12 pm

My kids will want to see this one, especially my daughter who has read the book. The trailer is fantastic!

22. December 16, 2011 2:16 pm

I’m not familiar with this one, but it sounds great.

23. December 16, 2011 2:18 pm

I won some movie tickets yesterday at our work Christmas party so I’m eager to head to the theater. This is high on my list but tis the season for wonderful holiday movies. Also want to read the book… Gah! 😉 Glad you enjoyed Kathy.

24. December 16, 2011 2:30 pm

I can’t wait to see this but the question truly is 3D or not…

Woozy is not a good feeling for me and now that you mentioned it I know it will happen to me too…

Suggestion is a powerful…lol…

25. December 16, 2011 6:05 pm

I’ve not seen the movie or read the book but I think I’ll go with the book version.

26. December 16, 2011 6:38 pm

Glad to hear the movie is so beautiful!

27. Page permalink
    December 16, 2011 7:15 pm

I loved the book and can’t wait to see the movie. I just read Wonderstruck and it was fabulous.

28. December 16, 2011 8:35 pm

I have not read this, but I’m curious.

29. December 16, 2011 8:42 pm

This does seem like a beautiful movie!

30. December 17, 2011 2:34 am

I’ve heard wonderful things about the movie too. I hadn’t even heard about the book until the movie came out.

31. December 17, 2011 9:19 am

I’ve seen the book in stores for a while now and the ads for the recently released movie, but I really had no idea what Hugo was about. However, now that I know the setting is a Paris train station, I know that I must make the time to see this over Christmas break 🙂

32. December 17, 2011 12:30 pm

Thanks for the review! The boyfriend want to see this one, but it hasn’t come to our small town theater yet.

33. December 17, 2011 4:28 pm

I don’t tend to go to the theatre for movies but seeing the previews on this one makes it look gorgeous. I hope DVD/cable does it justice.

34. December 18, 2011 12:57 pm

I can’t wait to see this one! Though 2 hours is a bit long, even for me, so I’m wondering if I should maybe wait for the DVD…

35. December 18, 2011 4:58 pm

I thought this looked wonderful but after reading the book i wonder if it could even come close to that experience? 😀

36. December 18, 2011 5:49 pm

My 13-year-old saw HUGO and loved it! He really enjoyed the book, too, and tells me that the film follows the book very closely. Brian Selznick spoke at NEIBA, and he was very excited/pleased by the work Martin Scorsese had done directing it.

37. December 19, 2011 10:56 am

I havent read the book either but I do like magical stories, I’m defintiely seeing this one.

38. December 19, 2011 5:26 pm

Lots of Oscar buzz for this,too.

39. December 19, 2011 11:13 pm

Hmm. I’ve seen good things about this one, but your review has me think I can pass on it.

40. December 20, 2011 7:53 pm

The length is so unfortunate. There is no way either one of my kids could make it through a movie that long.

41. December 22, 2011 11:10 am

This looks like so much fun! I can’t believe I hadn’t heard of either the book OR the movie (I guess I’ve been living under a rock), especially because I have a thing for clocks. And trains. And train stations. And Paris. How did I not know this existed!?

42. December 29, 2011 2:23 pm

I thought the book was great. It seemed to be a blueprint for the movie. Scorsese is a big advocate of film preservation so it hit on all the things about movies he cares about.