Kid Konnection – Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Cabin Fever

November 26, 2011

I love the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series, by Jeff Kinney and couldn’t wait to read, Cabin Fever, the newest book in the series.  My expectations were extremely high and I’m happy to report that I was not disappointed.  Greg Heffley is back in a big way and he’s just as funny as ever.

As always in these books there are several things going on.  Greg’s become addicted to playing Net Kritterz and needs money to buy his virtual pet some virtual items.  In true Greg style, he looks for the easy way out and comes up with a scheme that backfires on him.  When his next idea causes school property to be damaged, Greg’s sure the police are after him.  After his family is snowed in and Rodrick is forced to share Greg’s bedroom, Greg starts to think jail might not be so bad after all.

Cabin Fever is so much fun – I literally laughed out loud as I read it!  Greg is always scheming and, as wrong as I know he is, somehow I can relate to him at times.   I suspect that most kids think the way he does from time to time.  I don’t think he is intentionally bad – he just thinks of himself first.  He ends up getting himself in situations that are funny because he’s not my kid.

I’m way past the intended age group for the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series, but I just love it and I suspect younger readers will love it even more.  Be sure to check these books out if you have a middle schooler on your shopping list this holiday season.  These books are great for avid readers as well as reluctant readers.

For more children’s books reviews, go to Booking Mama’s feature, Kid Konnection. If you’d like to participate in Kid Konnection and share a post about anything related to children’s books (picture, middle grade, or young adult) from the past week,  leave a comment as well as a link on her site.

I am an Indiebound Affiliate.
  1. November 26, 2011 6:02 am

The Wimpy Kid books always look like such fun! I don’t know that they would be my thing but I bet younger kids love them.

2. November 26, 2011 7:14 am

There are many MG books I love as much as the intended audience, especially when it has to do with stuff that happens to all kids!

3. November 26, 2011 9:05 am

I really need to give this series a try because I like quite a few MG books.

4. Angie S. permalink
    November 26, 2011 9:08 am

I haven’t read a one of this series, but you make them sound so hilarious I’ll have to try them. Who couldn’t use a good laugh-out-louder every once in a while!

5. November 26, 2011 9:20 am

I am buying this one for a friend’s son for Christmas, and can’t wait to give it to him. He is definitely a reluctant reader, and this series is one that he gobbles up furiously. Great review today, Kathy! I think I would agree with you that the little boy is so amusing because he is not my own little boy!

6. November 26, 2011 9:31 am

I just bought this for my son for Christmas!

7. November 26, 2011 1:29 pm

I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed this one. I have to buy it for three kids this Christmas! 😉

8. November 26, 2011 9:31 pm

This book has been flying off the shelves at the bookshop! I bought it for my younger kids, but they have to wait to unwrap it on Christmas 🙂

9. November 26, 2011 9:31 pm

My neighbor was reading this at the bus stop the other day and she said it was awesome!

10. November 27, 2011 4:12 pm

I am buying this one for my stepdaughter for Christmas. She is not a big reader but she loves this series!

11. November 27, 2011 8:55 pm

I think I will have to take all of these home over Christmas break and spend an entire day reading them!! 😀

12. November 28, 2011 4:22 pm

We preordered this from the Scholalstic Book Club form and my son devoured it in just two days. He’s already lending it to his friends to read.

13. November 28, 2011 4:51 pm

I still haven’t read any of these and I know I am really missing out!

14. November 28, 2011 5:04 pm

This is really a great series. The problem though is that they don’t provide more than just a couple of hours of reading time. My kids zipped through them in no time. My son is too old for them now but my daughter wants this new one for Christmas.

15. November 29, 2011 8:21 pm

The Girl loves this series. I’ve only read 1, but I really want to read this one.