Saturday Snapshot

November 19, 2011

Carl and I were in Greenville last weekend and spied these men building a crane.  I’m afraid petrified of heights, so just looking at how high they were made me feel woozy.  Carl captured the scene for me with his phone.

Saturday Snapshot is hosted by Alyce of At Home With Books.  It’s easy to participate – just post a picture that was taken by you, a friend, or a family member and add your link on Alyce’s site.

1. November 19, 2011 10:42 am

Cranes make me nervous – I’ve seen a few collapsed. I don’t know how anyone works at that height. Scary!

2. November 19, 2011 10:45 am

You’re not the only one — when I tried to climb a fire escape to take an aerial photo of my university campus, I made it two and a half floors up before I was reduced to crawling up them. My body kept insisting I get lower so I wouldn’t fall!

3. November 19, 2011 11:09 am

Oh I’m with you, I couldn’t be up there either.

4. November 19, 2011 11:18 am

This reminds me of that show that was on a few years ago – Fear Factor. My hubby and I would watch it and when they would do challenges we would say out loud if we would be able to do it or not.

I could always say I could do the height challenges and he said he could not. However when it came to the food challenges… like eating raw eggs with the baby birds in them or insects, I was out (no gross food for me!) but hubby said he could do those….

Sorry to gross you out this morning… that’s what I thought of with this pic…. 🙂

5. November 19, 2011 11:22 am

I am not afraid of heights. However, I have to be physically held when near a water body. Becos my mind tells me to jump….

6. November 19, 2011 11:25 am

Oh, I get dizzy just looking at the photo, Kathy! Great shot…and thanks for visiting my blog.

7. November 19, 2011 11:33 am

I’m scared of heights too! You’d never get me up there, just climbing a stepladder makes me dizzy. Great photo.

8. November 19, 2011 12:13 pm

I’m not too fond of heights, but as long as I’m not the one up there I’m okay. 🙂

9. November 19, 2011 12:31 pm

Heights don’t bother me, they actually kind of thrill me…..I was just thinking that that seems a weird spot to be building a crane although I don’t know anything about building cranes! I think the photo is very cool…

10. November 19, 2011 12:42 pm

Oh my that’s high! I’m not too bothered by heights, but I think that combined with the movement those things must have that high up, would defeat me!

11. November 19, 2011 12:55 pm

I wouldn’t want to be up that high either. The ground is great for me!

12. November 19, 2011 2:22 pm

My husband is the same as you, he can’t even look at someone that high up. I’m the opposite. I find heights thrilling and even went on a treetop walk on metal bridge hundreds of feet up in a rain forest… an awesome experience as long as heights don’t bother you. I have to agree with Sheila, even thinking about eating a live bug makes me nauseous… but looking at bugs are fine!

13. November 19, 2011 2:45 pm

That’s amazing! I’m not afraid of heights, but I’m sure climbing around on that thing would bother me!

14. November 19, 2011 2:57 pm

I’m terrified of heights too! It’s a great shot, Kathy!

15. November 19, 2011 3:18 pm

I can’t imagine having to work on one of these…gives me shivers too…high rise construction sites are the worst though…I’ve seen those guys just jump from level to level…YIKES!!

16. kaye permalink
    November 19, 2011 3:41 pm

I’d get dizzy just looking up at that. I’d sure hate to work on that thing!

17. November 19, 2011 3:48 pm

Great shot! I get dizzy standing on a chair, so I could never have that kind of job 🙂

18. November 19, 2011 4:00 pm

I too am terrified of heights. Carl got a great angle to show exactly how high those guys were and I’m a little woozy myself right now.

19. November 19, 2011 4:09 pm

I don’t do heights unless I’m SURE that whatever I’m on is very sturdy. And a crane is not sturdy!! My stomach feels funny when I see people on them, or other things like those window washer things!

20. November 19, 2011 5:02 pm

I’m not good with heights either Kathy. I ‘d be the same way as you.

21. November 19, 2011 5:14 pm

It makes my palms all sweaty just looking at it!

22. November 19, 2011 5:27 pm

My brother-in-law has a crane business. I don’t know how high his goes, but it’s important to balance them properly or they can tip over. This one is really high.

23. November 19, 2011 7:22 pm

Super, impromptu photo! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Kathy!

24. November 19, 2011 7:26 pm

I didn’t believe you about your phobia until we were in the elevator at Hachette!

25. November 19, 2011 8:41 pm

I’m with you … I couldn’t even think of doing this or even watch them!

26. November 19, 2011 8:43 pm

Yikes.
    Heights.
    You and me both — I am petrified of heights, even though I live on the 14th [technically 13th] floor of a building. But seriously, you could NOT pay me enough to be climbing around out there where those brave [or insane] men are working in your photo. Nope.
    I’m afraid I too much value my nice quiet not-falling-from-stuff life!
    Wishing you a terrific weekend.

27. November 19, 2011 9:40 pm

Those phone cameras take good pictures!

The cloud in the background is almost inline with the “webbing” of the crane … odd …

28. November 19, 2011 10:06 pm

oh gosh i can see why you would get a bit woozy looking at that one ~ it’s as high as the bank of america building! how do those guys do it?!?

on a side note, my bf started his career off as a lineman climbing electric poles, then cable towers….some days he talks fondly of going back when he gets tired of corporate America! I think he must be a bit crazy in the head!

29. November 19, 2011 10:45 pm

Yeah, that type of height would make me uncomfortable, to say the least!

30. November 19, 2011 11:24 pm

Amazing! I recently saw a picture of the world’s largest land crane (in Oregon) and WOW…I can’t imagine being on top of the crane either. Whew!

31. November 20, 2011 6:26 am

I think I’d probably pee in my pants if I had to go so high up and do such work. Oh wow…

32. November 20, 2011 9:40 am

I can’t imagine ever wanting or having to be so high off of the ground! I would hate that! Very cool photo though!

33. November 20, 2011 10:05 am

I am with you on the fear of heights…petrified! This is a great shot though.

34. November 20, 2011 11:45 am

It always amazes me how many people share my fear of heights. And interesting that Gautami Tripathy has to be held for fear of jumping into water; that’s the way I feel when I’m near the edge of a cliff. Of course my husband always scares me to death by getting closer to the edge.

35. November 20, 2011 3:55 pm

Cool shot 🙂

36. November 20, 2011 4:18 pm

Glad that’s not my job!

37. November 20, 2011 4:35 pm

I’m terrified of heights too! Unless I’m on a roller coaster or airplane 😀

38. November 21, 2011 10:07 am

I’m with you on this; heights scare the you-know-what outta me.

39. November 22, 2011 8:26 pm

Holy Moly that’s high! I am just fine with heights, but that would certainly give me pause!

40. November 23, 2011 2:20 pm

I’m right there with you. Completely and excrutiatingly afraid of heights. I can’t imagine how scary it would be to even be ON that crane let alone building it.

41. November 28, 2011 5:01 pm

I don’t mind heights but I am pretty sure I wouldn’t want to work up there!