Kid Konnection: Au Revoir, Crazy European Chick

November 5, 2011

Perry’s family has been hosting a foreign exchange student from Lithuania – Gobija Zaksauskas – and Perry’s none to happy when his mom insists he take her to the prom.  After all, prom is on the same night as a very important gig his band has booked and he has to be there.  He reluctantly agrees to take Gobi to the prom, all the while hoping that he can sneak out early and join his band.

When Gobi wants to leave the prom early, Perry figures his prayers have been answered, but quickly finds out otherwise when he discovers she’s not who they thought she was, and she’s on a deadly mission of revenge.

I was really excited to read Au Revoir, Crazy European Chick, by Joe Schreiber since it received quite a bit of buzz at BEA.  I have a feeling teen readers will really enjoy this book, but I didn’t love it as much as I’d hoped to.  I may have had my expectations set too high going into it because of all the buzz.

There’s not a lot of character development in this book, but there’s plenty of action-packed plot to move the story along at a crazy pace!  Perry and Gobi  spend a wild night in New York and are involved in battles, thefts, and car chases galore.  You really have to suspend disbelief, and at times, it was a bit too much for me.

Each chapter is cleverly started with a question from a college entrance essay with the scene in the chapter answering the question.  I thought that was a really fun way to tell the story, especially since Perry was worried about getting into the college of his choice.

This book is definitely for the older YA audience because of language, violence, and sexual innuendo.   I think readers in that age group will enjoy the crazy ride of Au Revoir, Crazy European Chick.

For more children’s books reviews, go to Booking Mama’s feature, Kid Konnection. If you’d like to participate in Kid Konnection and share a post about anything related to children’s books (picture, middle grade, or young adult) from the past week,  leave a comment as well as a link on her site.

Review copy provided by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Children’s Book Group.  I am an Indiebound Affiliate.
  1. November 5, 2011 6:31 am

The premise and the trailer show promise. Sorry this one wasn’t quite as good as you had hoped.

2. November 5, 2011 8:58 am

I was wondering how this book was! It looks and sounds so fun to me wth it being all in MYC, but I wondered if it might be too juvenile. Sounds like I might agree with you about having to suspend belief and all that, but does still sound fun!

3. November 5, 2011 8:58 am

That is a unique way to structure the story. Too bad it didn’t live up to the hype for you. It’s funny how the “buzz” around a book can, in certain cases, be almost a bad thing because it makes a reader’s expectations so high.

4. November 5, 2011 9:17 am

I actually think this one sounds rather interesting and mystifying, so I bet it should be perfect for my son, Caleb. I always have trouble finding him books, so when something like this crosses my path, I perk up! Great review, Kathy!

5. November 5, 2011 9:35 am

I like it when chapters have themes like that, but otherwise, it sounds a little wild!

6. November 5, 2011 9:44 am

It has a catchy title and the premise sounds like fun. Too bad it has language and violence.

7. November 5, 2011 5:44 pm

Lol, something about it does sound fun, and crazy

8. November 6, 2011 12:11 am

I’m reading a YA book right now that’s good, but I’m just feeling too far removed from it. Those silly kids are making me feel old!

9. November 6, 2011 3:27 pm

This sounds like a hoot! The title is fantastic.

10. November 6, 2011 7:01 pm

This is the first time I’ve heard anything about this one. the premise sounds good…too bad that it didn’t quite meet your expectations. Sometimes I wonder how all the buzz gets started???

11. November 7, 2011 6:48 pm

Uh oh, I have this one from Net Galley to review. I’m sad to hear that there isn’t much in the way of character development.

12. November 7, 2011 7:09 pm

Almost sounds like it would be a great one for a movie.

13. November 7, 2011 7:40 pm

I think my son would like this one. I’m not sure what I would think about it.

14. November 8, 2011 1:27 pm

That’s . . . quite a title! And I agree with Julie: sounds like it would make a better movie than book (when does that happen?!).