October 12, 2011

Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading.  If you want to play along, grab the button, write a post and come back and add your link to Mr. Linky! All of my words this week come from my Word-a-Day calendar.

1. coeval – “Recent archaeological evidence suggests not only that the two cultures were coeval but also that they had considerable contact with each other.”

Coeval is an adjective and it means of the same or equal age, antiquity, or duration.

_____________________________________________________

2. turophile – “The new store is a turophile’s paradise offering more than 2,000 varieties of cheese.”

Turophile is a noun and means a connoisseur of cheese: a cheese fancier.

_____________________________________________________

3. handsel – “At the beginning of the year, some employees will receive handsome monetary handsels.”

In this case, a handsel is a gift made as a token of good wishes or luck.

_____________________________________________________

Have you come across any new words lately?

1. October 12, 2011 5:41 am

“Coeval” I’d heard but couldn’t remember the meaning. The rest were completely new to me. I didn’t know cheese fanatics had their own word all to themselves. See, this is why I love English.
    JNCL

2. October 12, 2011 5:57 am

Lol, some sure like cheese

3. October 12, 2011 6:26 am

Turophile makes me wonder. I didn’t know the Greek root for cheese. I wish I had studied Ancient Greek!

4. October 12, 2011 6:29 am

handsel really? It sounds strange. Great words.

5. October 12, 2011 7:51 am

I don’t know “handsel”, but I know “turophile” (!) : I think that Margot of “Joyfully retired”, explained this word in a “wondrous words” post a few monthes ago !

• October 12, 2011 7:55 am

I just checked, and you’re right, she did! I need to do a better job keeping track of my new words!

6. October 12, 2011 7:56 am

I knew coeval, but you got me on the other two, Kathy. I just found out I’m a turophile! Great finds!

7. October 12, 2011 8:35 am

I am a turophile of cream cheese! Nice words. here are my words Have a great day!

8. October 12, 2011 8:37 am

I like “handsel”, it reminds me of Hansel and Grettel, which could work quite symbolically (and ironically) in that story if you think about it. Thanks!

9. October 12, 2011 8:38 am

I like handsel. Sounds easy to work in.

10. October 12, 2011 8:52 am

I think turophile probably implies liking only good cheeses, so I probably wouldn’t fit the definition. There needs to be a word for somebody who swoons over a good old plain grilled cheese sandwich! (well, not a word like dweeb, but a cheese-appropriate word…)

11. October 12, 2011 8:56 am

Great words, Kathy. I knew handsel but the others had me stumped!

12. October 12, 2011 9:56 am

Wow, these were all new to me; about the only one that I might have guessed from the context was turophie 🙂

13. October 12, 2011 10:21 am

I didn’t know any of these, but would love to be a turophile. 🙂

14. October 12, 2011 10:25 am

I am a turophile and now I know exactly what to call myself! Loved this selection of words today!

15. October 12, 2011 10:40 am

Ha, “turophile”! I am one too and never knew 😛

16. October 12, 2011 10:41 am

I think I’d forgotten Margot mentioning turophile- and I’m the mother of a turophile! Indeed I bought my little turophile a tshirt today that has a picture of a piece of cheese then it says Praise Cheeses underneath. I know I often need to hear and see a word several times before it sticks- if it ever does.

17. October 12, 2011 11:21 am

Great words. I didn’t know any of them — big surprise!

18. October 12, 2011 11:38 am

I love my word-a-day calendar too. There must be a word for those of us who love words but I don’t know it. I hope it’s something elegant.

19. October 12, 2011 11:39 am

Turophile is great, but I doubt anyone would know what I was talking about if I used it in conversation while serving cheese! 🙂

20. October 12, 2011 11:51 am

Again, three new words I learned today, I like the word handsel.

21. October 12, 2011 1:26 pm

I’m married to a turophile but if I told him, he would probably think it meant something risque. I didn’t know handsel but I know Hansel and Gretel. 😀

22. October 12, 2011 3:33 pm

All 3 are new to me words. I unfortunately didn’t come across any I didn’t know for today’s meme.

23. October 12, 2011 3:41 pm

If I do come across a new word…I tend to forget it or if I write it down I forget where I wrote it…but I truly think I am a turophile!!!

24. kaye permalink
    October 12, 2011 4:35 pm

Never heard of turophile but I like it!! Handsel? Wasn’t he Gretel’s brother? Lol!

25. October 12, 2011 4:38 pm

I love cheese and have visited many cheese shops and even cheese tastings but have never heard the term turophile before.

26. October 12, 2011 7:01 pm

The example of turophile sounds like a paradise to a cheesehead like me!

27. October 12, 2011 8:05 pm

Excellent words yet once again and I always have a hard time pronouncing them! 😀

28. October 12, 2011 8:53 pm

Wait…Handsel isn’t connected to Gretel? 🙂

29. October 12, 2011 10:05 pm

All new to me — which means I didn’t, but should have, remembered when Margot featured turophile, too. We just joined a Cheese of the Month club, so I guess that makes me a turophile. Our first month had two lovely smoked cheeses — great for fall.

30. October 13, 2011 12:38 pm

LOL I am a huge turophile and didn’t know it! Thanks for enlightening me!

31. October 14, 2011 1:08 pm

Good words – I’ve never heard of any of them before.

32. October 14, 2011 1:11 pm

Hi Kathy,

I didn’t know any of those great words this week, so thanks for sharing.

Like most others, I think that ‘Turophile’ was my favourite and like Kim, I am a huge one and never would have guessed!

I am not sure that the word fits the item particularly, it would never stack up in a game of word association! It isn’t a very friendly sounding word either, sounds like it should refer to something not very pleasant.

33. October 14, 2011 4:35 pm

I knew handsel as my mother and grandmother would always put a coin in a new purse or wallet that they were giving as a gift and I’ve continued that practice.

I didn’t know either of the others so it was great to learn something new.

I’m going to start linking up!!!

34. October 15, 2011 8:15 pm

Like that I can share the new/interesting words I find in books with others! Thanks for hosting..

35. October 15, 2011 10:17 pm

Thanks for the comment on my post.. Cutting for Stone is definitely going to increase my vocabulary! Thanks for visiting..