September 21, 2011

Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading.  If you want to play along, grab the button, write a post and come back and add your link to Mr. Linky! All of my words this week come from my Word-a-Day calendar.

1.hawkshaw – “Though she risked being late for an appointment, Amanda could not bring herself to set the crime novel down until the hawkshaw had solved the case.”

I love this word!  A hawkshaw is a detective.

_____________________________________________________

2. frigorific – “Jamie shivered as she faced a frigorific blast of wind blowing off the lake.”

This is another great word – frigorific means causing cold: chilling.

_____________________________________________________

3. abecedarian – “The children recited an abecedarian chant, beginning with “A is for apple” and ending with “Z is for zebra.””

In this case, abecedarian means of or relating to the alphabet.

_____________________________________________________

Have you come across any new words lately?

1. September 21, 2011 6:25 am

I love the word hawkshaw! I would have wondered about that one as well.

2. September 21, 2011 6:51 am

I love the first two words and will try to use them myself! I love this meme!

3. September 21, 2011 7:50 am

It’s all of a sudden frigorific here! Atlanta has no transition between 110 degrees and 50!

4. September 21, 2011 8:12 am

These words sound almost made up, but I really love your choices today! Like every Wednesday, I am going to have to find a way to slip some of these into my conversations!

5. September 21, 2011 8:30 am

Frigorific is a riot! It sounds like a portmanteau for “frigging” horrifically cold!

6. September 21, 2011 9:00 am

Frigorific is one of the best words I’ve learned in a while! Love it!

7. September 21, 2011 9:45 am

Those are really interesting (although figorific sounds made-up)!

8. September 21, 2011 9:57 am

I just shared these with one of my Lit classes and they looked at me like I was crazy. And then started using them! 🙂

9. September 21, 2011 10:00 am

Hawkshaw is great! I’ve never heard this word but it sound like one you would read or hear in something like a Dashiell Hamett book or movie!

Frigorific sounds made-up…refrigerator shortened and then combined with terrific! It’s meaning is exacly as it sounds!

I love how abecedarian has the first 5 letters of the alphabet in the first half of the wod! Another good word I’ve never heard before. I find this one a bit difficult to pronounce!

10. September 21, 2011 10:04 am

I only knew hawkshaw … you stumped me on the others!

11. September 21, 2011 10:17 am

All new ones to me, although I really like hawkshaw, too.

12. September 21, 2011 10:34 am

I like the first and last word. Glad I came by. Never heard of a detective called by that name. Will look for it in my next mystery. lol.

13. September 21, 2011 10:55 am

I love my word-a-day calendar too. In all my reading of mysteries I’ve never heard of hawkshaw. I wonder how that one got started. It’s a good one.

14. September 21, 2011 11:09 am

Never heard the word hackshaw either for a detective. Great words.

15. September 21, 2011 11:54 am

Hi Kathy,

All new words to me this week and I loved the sound of them all.

I shall try slipping ‘Hawkshaw’ into a blog post one of these days, just to see if it evokes any reaction!

I suppose that ‘Frigorific’ was the most obvious of the words, but I am not so sure about using that one too freely, as it doesn’t sound like a particularly nice word, does it?

Thanks for hosting

16. September 21, 2011 12:03 pm

I never heard hawkshaw before but I should be able to remember it because it has part of a bird name in it!

Frigorific does sound made up and may end up having multiple uses.

17. September 21, 2011 12:08 pm

I think frigorific is pretty awesome too but I’d have assumed it meant something else, given that frig has another meaning entirely.

18. September 21, 2011 1:27 pm

Great words from a great meme! I knew the second word, although I’ve never used it. 🙂

19. September 21, 2011 2:23 pm

I love all these words! Fabulous finds. Next time I’m reading a mystery, I’m going to say that too – I don’t want to put the book down until the hawkshaw solves the case!

20. September 21, 2011 3:08 pm

Strange words….

21. September 21, 2011 3:46 pm

Great words! I love frigorific!

22. September 21, 2011 5:15 pm

As someone who is always cold, I LOVE frigorific!

23. September 21, 2011 6:25 pm

“hawkshaw”–what a great word! All three, in retrospect, describe their subject perfectly (I only knew the last). I sure hope this winter isn’t too frigorific!!
    Thank you.

24. September 21, 2011 9:52 pm

I need to start forwarding these posts to my little brother. He’s 15 and starting to think about the SAT so we’re doing words of the week. Certainly nothing as hard as these, though! 😉

25. September 21, 2011 11:52 pm

The first two are new to me and I love them both – especially frigorific, which just sounds like a made up replacement for some sort of swear word. 🙂

26. Veens permalink
    September 22, 2011 7:45 am

It is going to be a frigorific soon 🙂

27. September 22, 2011 8:13 am

I love that word frigorific!!!

28. September 22, 2011 9:20 am

I never heard of any of these words! Frigorific is just awesome, but I LOVE abecedarian!
    Maybe I’ll call myself an abecedarian teacher ; )

29. September 22, 2011 9:35 am

Ooooo I love the word hawkshaw! That is fantastic!

30. rosecityreader permalink
    September 22, 2011 1:04 pm

What great words!

I just finished reading Vladimir Nabokov’s autobiography, Speak Memory. It had a hundred words I didn’t know, many that I knew he had made up, many that I knew were scientific, and several that I gave up on because they were not in my bedside dictionary.

31. Staci permalink
    September 22, 2011 9:15 pm

Inlove hawkshaw…I’m so using it tomorrow at school! 🙂

32. September 22, 2011 9:41 pm

I’ve read lots of historical mysteries and don’t hink I’ve ever seen hackshaw. I love it!

33. September 25, 2011 7:14 pm

hawkshaw….. thought it had something dealing with hacking with saw being written wrong 😉

34. September 26, 2011 9:54 am

First, thank you for your help, Kathie ! I like your three words : I never heard about hawkshaw, we said “frigorifié” in French when we are very cold, and abecedarian is beautiful ! In French we use the word “un abécédaire” for a children book with words (and images) beginning by A and so on.