Kid Konnection: Uncommon Criminals

September 3, 2011

Fifteen year old Kat comes from a long line of thieves.  She’s been in the business for a while, but has decided to turn a new leaf – she only steals property in order to return it to its rightful owner.  When she and her gang are hired to steal a cursed gem – the Cleopatra Emerald – she discovers a rather twisted plot and has to come up with one of her own to reveal the bad guys.

I liked Uncommon Criminals, by Ally Carter, but didn’t seem to love it as much as everyone else has.  I’m not sure if it’s because it’s the second book of a series or because I listened to the audio version.  That’s not to say that Angela Dawe is a bad narrator – there were just so many characters for her to give voice to and I found some of them irritating because they were almost cartoonish.

I liked Kat well enough – she’s a smart and savvy protagonist, but I had a hard time accepting a band of such sophisticated teens traveling the globe without supervision.  They’re living a glamorous life and don’t have to worry about ordinary things, like school.  Maybe that’s the appeal to younger readers, but it just seemed a little far fetched to me.

Having said that, the storyline was solid and Carter does a great job building suspense in the story.  I was invested in it enough that I wanted to know how things were going to turn out.  I have a feeling this book is very appealing to teens.

For more children’s books reviews, go to Booking Mama’s feature, Kid Konnection. If you’d like to participate in Kid Konnection and share a post about anything related to children’s books (picture, middle grade, or young adult) from the past week,  leave a comment as well as a link on her site.

Review copy provided by Brilliance Audio. I am an Indiebound Affiliate.

1. September 3, 2011 7:01 am

Yes, I think I’d have the same trouble totally buying in to the idea of unsupervised sophisticated teens traveling the world.

2. September 3, 2011 9:22 am

Me too on the far-fetched business!

3. September 3, 2011 10:07 am

Having three teenagers, I feel sure they’d love to live that kind of life, but they’d have to text me every five minutes to help them make decisions. Ha! This sounds like a good plot. Too bad it wasn’t adults which might have been more believable.

4. September 3, 2011 10:44 am

I also think this sounds a little far-fetched, and I am sure anyone with teenagers would probably shake their heads at the thought of well-heeled teens getting involved in jewel heists and being jet-setting globe trotters. It totally doesn’t seem believable to me, and that would pull me right out of the book.

5. September 3, 2011 11:43 am

Sounds good, but I will just see the movie if it’s made 😉

6. September 3, 2011 12:13 pm

That would be a bit far fetched for sure but I do know some teens that wouldn’t care and totally love it! 😀

7. September 3, 2011 1:50 pm

I didn’t like Heist Society that much so I won’t be reading this. However, I LOVE her Gallager Girl series, far-fetched and all!

8. September 3, 2011 3:34 pm

Sometimes a good premise just doesn’t make a good story. I hate to say it but this one would make a good movie though!

9. September 3, 2011 4:04 pm

Sounds like a sophisticated Spy Kids movie-the cover is pretty also! I do know some young girls who would love this idea though.

10. September 3, 2011 5:20 pm

Hmm.. I think this book would appeal to me. I can accept farfetchedness fairly easily. It certainly makes their lives more interesting. I think I rationalize it by thinking that character’s never use the restroom in books either.

11. September 4, 2011 10:15 am

Have to say that cover reminds me of an actress – if only I could remember her name. She was on Twin Peaks – another series that was a big hit back in the 80s ;P

12. September 4, 2011 4:05 pm

Booking Daughter and I read the first book in her tween series and thought it was a lot of fun. I have this audio too but I think I’ll read the first book in the series before starting it.

13. September 5, 2011 1:48 pm

This is a series I have to delve into. I have the first book in print and the second in audio from this year’s BEA. Sorry you didn’t enjoy it as much as others.

14. kaye permalink
    September 10, 2011 9:18 am

Sometimes we do have to suspend our disbelief and just go with the story. If you wanted to find out what happend that is a good sign. It sounds to me as though younger teens or preteens would like it.