August 17, 2011

Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading.  If you want to play along, grab the button, write a post and come back and add your link to Mr. Linky!

Both of my words this week come from One Day by David Nicholls.

1. caber – “Tilly was standing on the running board of the Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost that would take them the hundred yards to the reception, the bouquet held low in both hands, ready to be tossed like a caber.”

A caber is a young tree trunk used for tossing as a trial of strength in a Scottish sport.  I’ve seen pictures and videos of this, but never knew those trunks had a specific name.

_____________________________________________________

2. faecal – “It has a faecal quality, as if something is decaying inside him.”

I should have been able to figure this one out.  Faecal is a British variation of fecal

_____________________________________________________

Have you discovered any new words lately?

1. kaye permalink
    August 17, 2011 6:36 am

Takes brute strength to toss a caber. I watched a travel show about Scotland and the highland games and the caber toss was a big highlight.

2. August 17, 2011 8:46 am

Interesting words today! I learned caber from the show Home Improvement years ago and then relearned it in the movie Made of Honor. I wouldn’t want to be throwing a tree, that’s for sure.

3. August 17, 2011 8:55 am

I love those wacky sports from Great Britain- tossing the caber, cheese rolling, and various other weird activities! Lots of British (and Australian) words still use the ae- generally medical words I guess- like faecal, haemoglobin. We also use oe where you would just use o- like oesophagus. People in the commonwealth get GORD not GERD….

4. August 17, 2011 8:58 am

Caber is terrific! I had no idea that it was a sport using a tree trunk!

5. August 17, 2011 9:08 am

Ah, yeah, I could have figured out the second but the first is a new one for me. Interesting as always!

6. August 17, 2011 9:25 am

I knew faecal because I used to work for a doctor who studied in England, prep school through medical school. As for the first, as a happy Scot I love to go to Highland Games and I’ve seen huge men throw the caber – it’s amazing.

7. August 17, 2011 10:15 am

I love that you included a clip of caber throwing, which I frankly have never seen or heard of before. It’s always so nice to come over on Wednesdays and learn something new! Thanks for sharing the definitions and the videos with us!

8. August 17, 2011 10:34 am

Never seen
    those before

9. August 17, 2011 10:39 am

I never see this scottish play ! I’d prefer to hold the bouquet than the tree trunk !

10. August 17, 2011 10:59 am

I like that you used a video to illustrate a word. It helps me understand I don’t want to be doing that.

11. August 17, 2011 11:23 am

I knew caber, but was stumped by faecal. (No pun intended). HAHAHA!!!!!

12. August 17, 2011 11:35 am

I liked the video of the word caber.

13. August 17, 2011 11:51 am

I’ve never seen caber tossing before! I did however watch a video of the Afghani game Buzkashi which is pretty gross (to me)!

14. August 17, 2011 1:00 pm

I have actually seen caber tossing.. the kilts keep it interesting!

and heaven knows, we need more variations of ‘fecal’.

15. August 17, 2011 3:33 pm

I like the kilts…I think…

16. August 17, 2011 3:40 pm

Somehow I don’t think that tossing a bouquet takes the same amount of strength as a caber…

17. August 17, 2011 4:04 pm

I didn’t know either of these words, Kathy!

18. August 17, 2011 4:50 pm

Now that you say what a caber is, it rings a bell.

19. August 17, 2011 4:55 pm

hmmm en garde caber meet my saber! ;P

20. August 17, 2011 9:10 pm

Caber is a new word for me. Faecal, yup, heard that one before.

21. August 18, 2011 12:37 am

Finally, two that I know the meaning of! 🙂

22. August 20, 2011 12:27 am

Hi Kathy,

Coming from the UK, I know both of your words this week, YAY!!!

‘Tossing The Caber’, is generally only something which happens in Scotland, as you need to be wearing the kilt to make it truly authentic!

If you check it out on Wikipedia, there seem to be some very strict rules when it comes to the points scoring process!!
    ———————–

‘Fecal’ is described by the free online dictionary, as being the US spelling of faecal.

Another one of those weird anomalies, that makes us ‘Two Countries Divided By A Common Language’, as the saying goes!!