Horrible Bosses

July 29, 2011

Nick, Kurt, and Kenny hate their bosses but feel stuck in their jobs.  All they do is dream of exacting revenge.  They finally decide to stop dreaming and start acting.  It seems that nothing will go right for the bumbling trio as they attempt to pull of the scheme of their lives.

The trailer for Horrible Bosses is funny and the movie has an all star cast, so I figured it would be good.  I expected it to be silly and pretty hilarious, but for me (and my friend) it was just okay.  We saw it during the week after it had been out for a little while, so the theater was pretty empty and no one was laughing.  I can’t help but wonder if it would have been more fun if we’d seen it with a good crowd.

The thing is I’m not really sure why we didn’t like the movie more.  The plot has some clever twists and turns and the casting was good.   There is a lot of language in the movie, but that generally doesn’t bother me.  It may have been the crude humor that made it feel more like a man’s movie.  I feel like I’m too old or too female to really appreciate Horrible Bosses.  I think this is one to rent.

1. July 29, 2011 5:13 am

Sorry you didn’t love it. I keep seeing the adverts on the television for it, but it doesn’t really appeal to me. Don’t know why.

2. July 29, 2011 5:19 am

I have found a funny trailer mean nothing. Sometimes it contains every decent line in the movie.
    A theater with no one laughing is a bad sign…

3. July 29, 2011 7:51 am

I thought from the ads that this might be something my husband and I would agree on. I really appreciate your comments and advice to save this for a rental, since the movie prices here are just ridiculous!

4. July 29, 2011 8:08 am

Gotcha. Rent. Well, I was eyeing this one only because I have worked in an office environment and have had some absolutely horrible horrible bosses. In my less saner days, yes, I dreamt of doing bad things to them. But this is rated R, and I don’t get to many of those, so Netflix it is.

5. July 29, 2011 8:31 am

This sounded like so much fun when I first came across it! Too bad it’s disappointing.

Crude humor doesn’t work for me either. Thanks for the review!

6. July 29, 2011 8:42 am

This movie never appealed to me. I just think the overuse of bad language doesn’t make for a good movie, especially in this context. Plus, I watched the trailer online and didn’t laugh once, so I figured that was a sign.

7. July 29, 2011 8:47 am

Haven’t seen this one but too bad about the bad language. it could have been a good movie, because as a woman, I’ve had my share of horrible bosses, male and female!

8. July 29, 2011 8:55 am

I think we’ll be skipping this one too. We’re on a Daniel Day-Lewis kick every since seeing The Crucible a while back. Next up…My Left Foot. Have you seen it?

9. July 29, 2011 9:29 am

I’m not a fan of crude humor either, and I don’t think a full theater would help me out with that one! LOL Similarly, last night we watched All the Pretty Horses, and my husband was whooping and laughing when the guys rode their horses through the river, and I’m thinking, “okay, boy movie. Back to my book!”

10. July 29, 2011 9:34 am

I don’t get to the movies much, but I think I’d go just cause I like Jason Bateman.

11. July 29, 2011 10:39 am

I’ve never seen the trailer for this one. I think i’ll wait for a rental as well.

12. July 29, 2011 10:40 am

I am ok if a movie is peppered with crude humor, but if it’s just one gag after another it gets old.

I am seeing Cowboys & Aliens this Sunday. I NEVER see newly released movies because I hate seeing them in theatres but I am looking forwad to this one.

13. July 29, 2011 10:52 am

I saw this movie a few weeks ago, and I think I liked it a little more than you did. I thought it was funny, but not hilarious. I really liked the squeaky voiced guy.

14. July 29, 2011 11:04 am

DVD it is, lol, I always say that

15. July 29, 2011 11:41 am

Sorry that you didn’t like this one. To me it sounds very hilarious, but I do think I’m going to watch it at home. 🙂

16. July 29, 2011 11:49 am

For me it’s hit or miss with this kind of movie… so I generally wait for the DVD.

17. Caitie F permalink
    July 29, 2011 1:30 pm

I can’t agree with you on this one. My husband and I saw it two weeks ago with two friends and we didn’t stop laughing the entire movie! We are still quoting it!

18. July 29, 2011 2:24 pm

Sorry you didn’t like it. The pre-views look hilarious. But then, sometimes the only funny parts of a movie are the ones the lure you in with. I still might go see it anyway.

19. July 29, 2011 3:50 pm

One of our life rules is to avoid anything Jennifer Aniston is in…usually turns out to be desperately awful…

20. July 29, 2011 3:53 pm

I am not a fan of crude humor either so I appreciate your review. I think this is a movie I just may skip.

21. July 29, 2011 4:01 pm

Bummer! I love Jason Bateman!

22. July 29, 2011 4:24 pm

It sounds like the trailer was funnier than the movie…that always irritates me! I don’t care much for lots of crude humor especially if the movie relies on it. I’ve realized that often what men find hilarious just doesn’t work for me.. This movie sounds a little forced which is weird & a bummer because this is a topic so many people can relate to so I would guess it’d be easy to make a really funny, genuine movie about horrible bosses…the cast looks great, too. It’s too badthis movie just doesn’t work so well. Kathy, sorry about it but I do appreciate your sincere review!

23. July 29, 2011 5:08 pm

I definitely enjoyed this one more than you did. It was wrong in all the right ways, and my husband and I thought it was hilarious – it actually didn’t put ALL the good stuff in the trailer. The cast was really good, too (I had no idea that was Colin Farrell!).

24. July 29, 2011 5:31 pm

Sometimes for comedies its the crowd your with that can make or break the movie for you

25. July 29, 2011 7:04 pm

My friends really wanted to watch this one when I was visiting them two weeks back. I might still give it a try. It kind of sounds interesting. Sorry that it didn’t work.

26. July 29, 2011 7:34 pm

I thought the trailer looked funny too. I’m sorry it didn’t live up to the trailer.

27. July 29, 2011 10:55 pm

It’s not very tightly plotted or precisely scripted but the three leads have lots of obvious camaraderie and energy together – confirmed in a bloopers reel after the end credits – which help to keep the film moving along. Good Review!

28. July 30, 2011 12:02 am

Sounds like a male version of 9 to 5. I may wait for cable on this one.

29. July 30, 2011 11:15 am

Sounds like they should’ve featured women instead – oh wait, that was 9 to 5, which was hilarious.

30. July 31, 2011 12:18 pm

Chalk it up to DVD wait for the rental. Too bad since I love everything Bateman does.

31. July 31, 2011 5:33 pm

This sounds like a renter to me too!! I don’t like to spend a lot of money at the movies and it has to be something that I really can’t wait to watch! This one will be a Netflix pick! 😀

32. July 31, 2011 5:57 pm

I was hoping to like it too but didn’t. I know after a while Charlie Day’s voice got to me but I can’t exactly say why it didn’t work.

• stacybuckeye permalink
      August 2, 2011 1:48 am

Day’s voice got on my nerves eventually too!

33. July 31, 2011 8:10 pm

Mr. Jenners and I just saw it this weekend. It is EXACTLY the type of movie that Mr. Jenners loves. We enjoyed it but my favorite stuff was definitely the interactions between the three friends. I love Jason Bateman and the Sudeikas guy.

34. stacybuckeye permalink
    August 2, 2011 1:47 am

I get where you’re coming from on this one. I’d had two glasses of wine in the hours leading up to this one and when it was over I had to ask Jason if I liked it so much because of the wine. He said maybe. But we both laughed a lot 🙂

35. August 3, 2011 12:50 am

My boyfriend and I keep talking about going to see this one but other movies come out that we want to see more. I guess that this will probably turn out to be something that we end up renting. Probably for the best.