July 27, 2011

Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading.  If you want to play along, grab the button, write a post and come back and add your link to Mr. Linky!

All of my words this week comes from The Summer Without Men by Siri Hustvedt.

1. disquisition – “My father and my husband, both prone to long disquisitions about torts or genes and so mute about their own suffering.”

A disquisition is a formal inquiry into or discussion of a subject: discourse.

_____________________________________________________

2. multiloquy – “My own head was a storehouse for multioquy, the flux de mots of myriad contrarians who argued and debated and skewered one another with mordant parley and then started up all over again.”

Multiloquy is a mouthful that means an excess of words or talk.  You can hear how it’s pronounced here.

_____________________________________________________

3. clochard – “I told him he looked bad, like a clochard, but he just kept saying he was fine.”

A clochard is a tramp or a vagrant.

_____________________________________________________

Have you discovered any new words lately?

1. July 27, 2011 4:45 am

I love the word – multiloquy. I like that sentence too! Thanks for the words!

2. July 27, 2011 7:33 am

I knew all three this week, yay! Still wouldn’t know how to use multiloquy in a sentence, though.

3. July 27, 2011 8:08 am

Holy moly. I would have to have a dictionary out to read this novel!

4. July 27, 2011 8:15 am

You got me on all three words! I think I’ll try to use clochard next time my daughter’s hair is in disarray!

5. July 27, 2011 8:32 am

I love multiloquy. So interesting. Thanks for sharing!

6. July 27, 2011 9:22 am

I love the word and definition for clochard. I want to find a way to use it in a sentence without it seeming weird!

7. Beth Hoffman permalink
    July 27, 2011 9:43 am

Such great words — loved how you included the pronunciation link too!

8. July 27, 2011 10:12 am

3 great words this week- all new to me. I think my favourite is clochard. Perhaps because it’s from the French, it sounds much fancier than tramp or vagrant. But it isn’t.

9. July 27, 2011 10:38 am

Great words!

10. July 27, 2011 10:52 am

Those are all new to me, although I do like “clochard”.

11. July 27, 2011 11:12 am

Disquisition is a mouthful! I learned this word in law school! And Multiloquy is another word that sure is a mouthful! It’s definition sure fits. I don’t think I’d ever pronounce that word correctly!
    Clochard is such an elegant way to say tramp!

The Summer without Men seems heavy on major words. I’ll need a dictionary by my side if I read it! I hope you’re enjoying the book, Kathy!

12. July 27, 2011 11:13 am

I just knew “clochard” because it’s French. We say too “vivre à la cloche”= to live like a “clochard”. The two other words were new to me and I found multiloquy beautiful !

13. July 27, 2011 11:37 am

I like disquisition. Somehow I can see those two men sitting there doing that.

14. July 27, 2011 12:12 pm

This reminds me of yesterday, 4 neighbor girls came by to visit and wanted me to read to them. While reading I would stop and say who knows what such and such a word means, if no one knew the meaning we looked it up in the dictionary. Later in the afternoon we were all watching a movie, and the 5 year old kept doing something that the 11 year old kept telling her not to do, The 11 year old said to the 5 year old, “I have told you multiple times to quit that!” The five year old said, “What does Multiple mean?” We all said, “MANY!!” ; )

15. July 27, 2011 12:36 pm

Enjoyed, the new words.

16. July 27, 2011 12:47 pm

New ones yet again 🙂

17. July 27, 2011 12:55 pm

Hi Kathy,

It’s no wonder that she needs a summer without men, she needed that time, to make up all those great new words!! LOL

Really, they are all fantastic and I have never heard of a single one of them, but they do all sound rather made up words, especially ‘disquisition’.

I love the sound of the book, but would need to be online and logged into a dictionary, before I could start reading.

Thanks for a great, fun post

18. July 27, 2011 2:10 pm

Of those, I’d be most like to use clochard. What words you come up with!

19. July 27, 2011 2:31 pm

Since it’s about talking and words and such, I just HAVE to love multiloquy. :O)

20. July 27, 2011 2:46 pm

I must be using only a small portion of the english language. Every week I’m learning new words… now to remember and use them!

21. July 27, 2011 4:31 pm

Love disquisition. Makes me think of political discussions with my father-in-law when I’m praying my phone will ring or the kids will have a crisis I need to take care of.

22. July 27, 2011 4:53 pm

These are some pretty big words – lol! My favorite is clochard – I may have to use that one.

23. July 27, 2011 5:52 pm

I have that book too – I’ll have to remember to have my dictionary handy when I read it!

24. July 27, 2011 6:00 pm

I love the sound of multiloquy !

25. July 27, 2011 6:17 pm

I love these words! Thank you.

26. July 27, 2011 6:58 pm

Shucks, gosh, darn…I rarely know any of them…and if I were to encounter an unusual word in what I read…I would forget it…I need to learn to jot stuff down…

27. July 27, 2011 9:18 pm

Multiloquy–so that’s what’s happening inside my head. My favorite is clochard–such an elegant way to call someone a slob 🙂
    Thank you.

28. July 27, 2011 9:47 pm

I would so murder trying to say multioquy….:D

29. July 27, 2011 10:41 pm

Clochard looked familiar to me, but then it’s meaning was far from what I thought. 🙂

30. July 27, 2011 11:31 pm

What a great meme! Must try to join this next week. First time seeing these words – they’re definitely a “multiloquy”!

31. July 29, 2011 11:24 am

That entire sentence in the second example is a mouthful!