Kid Konnection: Dixie (on the iPad)

July 16, 2011

When I saw that an I Can Read! book was free in the iBookstore, I wanted to check it out to see what reading on the iPad would be like for beginning readers, so I found myself reading the story of Emma and her puppy, Dixie.  Dixie waits each day for Emma to come home so they can play, eat, and just be together.  When Emma gets a part in the school play, she has to study her lines instead of playing with Dixie.  Dixie does everything she can think of to get Emma’s attention and just when it seems things will go wrong, Dixie and Emma figure things out.

Dixie, by Grace Gilman, is a sweet story for beginning readers.  Kids will relate to Emma’s fears and will delight in Dixie’s antics.  The book is beautifully illustrated by Sarah McConnell.  The words are simple enough for beginning readers and the story is one they’ll (especially girls) will enjoy.

Reading Dixie on the iPad was a fun experience.  The book looks much like the print version, with color illustrations and even a “seam” in the middle.  The iPad can read the book and turn the pages automatically (or you can turn them manually), highlighting each word as it’s read.  The narration is great and there are even a few sound effects included.  I think young readers will love experiencing books like this on the iPad!

For more children’s books reviews, go to Booking Mama’s feature, Kid Konnection. If you’d like to participate in Kid Konnection and share a post about anything related to children’s books (picture, middle grade, or young adult) from the past week,  leave a comment as well as a link on her site.

I am an Indiebound Affiliate.
  1. July 16, 2011 8:24 am

I downloaded this one for Booking Son. He hasn’t tried it out yet.

2. July 16, 2011 8:26 am

It sounds like it would be entertaining to have a story read from the iPad.

3. July 16, 2011 8:36 am

I’m so jealous of the “on the iPad” part! :–) I really want one! And I’m glad to hear that the reading experience on it is so good!

4. July 16, 2011 9:16 am

This “Dixie” is so cute ! I like to read children books. Why not this one ?

5. July 16, 2011 9:26 am

I love the cover and think the illustrations are probably adorable!!

6. July 16, 2011 11:03 am

I am going to have to download this one for my niece. She is still really young, but I imagine that she will love it when she can finally sit still to enjoy it!

7. Colleen permalink
    July 16, 2011 4:41 pm

Thanks for bringing this to my attention- I am visiting my niece and nephew next weekend and know they will love this on my iPad. My niece will love to have this read to her by the iPad while my nephew will enjoy reading it himself! Off to download …..

8. July 16, 2011 7:43 pm

How great to be able to try something for free. I would love to have an ipad I think.

9. July 16, 2011 10:06 pm

We have a few early readers on the iPad … great for travel, waiting time, and keeping them engaged. I’m going to download DIXIE now 🙂

10. July 17, 2011 3:25 am

Seems like an adorable book ! The cover is so cute too.

11. July 17, 2011 8:09 am

First I have to get an IPad 🙂 I love how you described the feel of the story on the IPad. I know my 5 year old would love this.