July 13, 2011

Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading.  If you want to play along, grab the button, write a post and come back and add your link to Mr. Linky!

Carl and I were recently in Ballymena, Northern Ireland – when I was speaking with people one on one I had no problem understanding them, but when they were in a group, it was a different story.  And here I thought we spoke the same language!  I came across a magazine published by The Ballymena and Antrim Times and it had a great article on Ballymena expressions that I thought was a lot of fun, so I thought I’d share a few here.

______________________________________________________

“A called thon boy a bloonhead and a had to take my baters, a’m mad, amint a?”

The magazine didn’t define all the words, but here’s the meaning of some of those unfamiliar words:

A – Reference to oneself.  This is pronounced with the short a sound.

Baters – The appendages at the end of your legs: feet.

Amint – A plea for reassurance often sued by children.  Derived from “Am I Not?”

Bloonhead – A person with a balding pate.

______________________________________________________

Have you discovered any new words lately?

1. July 13, 2011 4:10 am

Lol, yes I am sure not getting any of that

2. July 13, 2011 4:31 am

Haha I agree with blodeuedd. I don’t think I can remember them. I like the word, “bloonhead” though 😀

3. July 13, 2011 4:40 am

That’s so “cool.” Did know you had gone off to Northern Ireland and come back. Did I miss the photos?? These words are like Greek to me.

4. July 13, 2011 6:14 am

The thing with Irish expressions is, I feel they lose a lot of strength on paper. Thanks for sharing!

5. July 13, 2011 7:09 am

The Irish have an extraordinary language and accent don’t they? Great expressions. I particularly like bloonhead.

6. July 13, 2011 8:59 am

I would have never guessed the meanings to any of these words! Thanks for sharing these today, they are fascinating!

7. July 13, 2011 9:15 am

I’ve known several bloonheads in my day but didn’t know what to call them. Now I do. 🙂

8. July 13, 2011 9:37 am

How fun! It’s interesting how different the various dialects and forms of English are. Thanks for sharing.

9. July 13, 2011 10:16 am

Love bloonhead! I can use it today, even! :–)

10. July 13, 2011 10:25 am

Those are wonderful! I’ve never been to Ireland, but I have a terrible time understanding all those Irish accents on PBS. Would love to visit there someday.

11. July 13, 2011 10:47 am

“Amint” – I thought that was only an Edinburgh contraction! Everywhere else in the world, “am I not” is contracted to “aren’t I” but my husband and his family from Edinburgh all say “amn’t I”. So it is interesting to hear that it is present in N Ireland too!

12. July 13, 2011 11:05 am

Difficult to understand to me !

13. July 13, 2011 11:15 am

Excellent words. Gotta love those Irish.

14. July 13, 2011 11:37 am

What fun word. Thanks for sharing. I wonder if I can get away with using bloonhead.

15. July 13, 2011 12:18 pm

Hi Kathy,

It has often been said, that Britain and America, are two nations divided by a common language.

There is a definite regional divide between dialects and colloquialisms within Britain, that make this argument just as valid within our own borders.

I love all of those words and have heard a couple of them spoken by a work colleague of mine, who originally came from the North East of England, where that same harsh, gutteral accent is prevelant.

The one I hadn’t come across before and which I must try dropping into a conversation with my colleague, just to gauge her reaction, is ‘bloonhead’, although I fear that I may end up with a kick up the backside with her ‘blaters’ for my trouble!!!

What a fun post

16. July 13, 2011 1:07 pm

How strange that you could understand people one on one but not in a group. It must have been very confusing. Hope the trip was loads of fun.

17. July 13, 2011 1:56 pm

Love that phrase, especially bloonhead. I think I would have a fair amount of difficulty in Ireland, too — all the more frustrating for believing that I should understand what’s being said.

18. Beth Hoffman permalink
    July 13, 2011 3:19 pm

The word bloonhead made me laugh out loud!

19. July 13, 2011 5:00 pm

Fun post this week! Bloonhead takes the cake!

20. July 13, 2011 5:11 pm

I would definitely need a translator if I visited Ireland. I didn’t know what the sentence meant.

21. July 13, 2011 5:34 pm

LOL I like the last one.

22. July 13, 2011 7:07 pm

I had to smile when you wrote about being in the middle a group Irish with their wonderful brough. 🙂

23. July 13, 2011 8:13 pm

These are great fun! Thanks for sharing them! I’m a little late this week, but finally got mine up,.

24. July 13, 2011 9:07 pm

I love this post. And to think we speak the same language.

25. July 14, 2011 11:17 am

“Bloonhead.” What a great word. The Irish (northern or republican) are so gifted with language.

26. July 14, 2011 9:06 pm

I loved that!! I’m in awe of dialects and how they translate for us!!

27. July 17, 2011 8:17 am

I laughed when I saw “A”.

Sounds like what we Canadian say all the time… “A-” ” Aie” at the end of each sentence. You should look up some of the Great White North jokes to hear the gist of our famous “Aie”. 🙂