Kid Konnection: Big Nate on a Roll

July 9, 2011

Big Nate’s back, and this time he’s competing with Artur for a prize.  The problem is Artur wins everything, even when he’s not trying.  How is Nate supposed to compete with that?  Nate comes up with a plan that will mean lots of hard work, but he’s determined.  Since Nate’s involved, things don’t turn out quite the way he planned but, in the end, it’s all good.

What can I say?  I’m a fan of the Big Nate and thoroughly enjoyed the newest book in the series – Big Nate on a Roll by Lincoln Peirce.  I know I’m middle aged and these books are for middle grade readers, but I still love them!  Nate is just a typical kid – he’s kind of lazy, wants to fit in, and blames all of his problems on other people.  I’m crazy about him, even when he’s being obnoxious.

I laughed out loud as I read this book and Carl gave me a few odd looks because of it.  I think kids will love it, too, and maybe learn something along the way.  When they see how dreadful Nate is when he blames other people for his problems, they just might think twice before they do it again.

If you have any middle grade readers in your life, be sure to get a copy of this fun graphic novel for them.  It’s geared toward boys, but I think girls will enjoy it just as much.

For more children’s books reviews, go to Booking Mama’s feature, Kid Konnection. If you’d like to participate in Kid Konnection and share a post about anything related to children’s books (picture, middle grade, or young adult) from the past week,  leave a comment as well as a link on her site.

Review copy provided by Harper Collins. I am an Indiebound Affiliate.
  1. July 9, 2011 5:47 am

Lol, well continue to love them 😀 I myself picture books are so cute, would love to read those..hm, I should bf we should have a child 😉

2. July 9, 2011 6:10 am

I tend to buy all the kids I know books. This might be a good idea for one in particular. Thanks for the review!

3. July 9, 2011 6:55 am

Poor little Nate, glad you like him. Maybe there is room for change….

4. July 9, 2011 7:12 am

We (at three) are still not QUTE (ha!) at Middle Grade, yet, but I’m making a list of all of the cool stuff ahead!

5. July 9, 2011 8:05 am

This seems like such a fun book for kids. I used to love graphic novels, and I would definitely be recommending this to the younger readers I know.

6. July 9, 2011 9:09 am

I love middle grade books. They don’t have all the angst of YA, which it is good to take a break from sometimes!

7. July 9, 2011 10:37 am

I read my first Big Nate book last year – Big Nate Strikes Again — and I thought it was terrific!
    I will certainly read this one as well — and you can count me among the middle aged readers of these books as well 🙂

8. July 9, 2011 10:54 am

An obnoxious protagonist that kids will love? Sounds like a great book.

9. July 9, 2011 10:08 pm

My son love the Nate books too!

10. July 10, 2011 12:45 am

I’m middle aged and can still enjoy a good middle school read too! Nate sounds like a charming, if precocious, character!

11. July 10, 2011 11:41 am

I wonder if my son would like this one. Going to ask him to come with me to the bookstore and tell him to take a peak at it then.

12. July 10, 2011 12:15 pm

These books know no age!! My students love them and I really need to jump on board!! 😀

13. Veens permalink
    July 10, 2011 2:41 pm

I really want to try this series, it sounds hilarious!

14. July 11, 2011 8:53 pm

I love BIG NATE too. I haven’t read this one yet but Booking Daughter did right away.

15. February 3, 2012 11:35 pm

Big Nate is awesome!!!!!!!!! The fourth one- ( Coming in 2012) is called Big Nate Goes For Broke. The author is starting the fifth one as well, which might be called Big Nate Flips Out. Anyway, i’m 11 in a half, and this are really my level, but no one else thinks so. Which is your favorite? So far my favorite is Big Nate Strikes Again.