June 22, 2011

Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading.  If you want to play along, grab the button, write a post and come back and add your link to Mr. Linky!

I found two words in one sentence while I was reading Folly Beach, by Dorothea Benton Frank.  Here’s the sentence:

“I realize that sounds ungapatched and maybe even fachalata but it was really beautiful.”

ungapatched – My spell check program recognizes this as a word, but I can’t find a meaning for it anywhere.  I’m guessing it’s a form of ungapatchka, which, according to Urban Dictionary, is a Yiddish word that describes the overly ornate, busy, ridiculously over-decorated, and garnished to the point of distaste.

fachalata – I couldn’t find the definition for this word anywhere, but I would assume it’s similar to that of ungapatchka.  Does anyone know for sure?

What new words have you found lately?

1. June 22, 2011 4:17 am

eh….no idea what that last one is

2. June 22, 2011 5:48 am

Hi Kathy,

Well!! You certainly starred this week, what some fantastic words, but I have searched everywhere I can think of and can’t come up with anything.

I would almost be intrigued enough to contact the author through her site and see if she can shed some light on the subject.

Looks like a great book by the way, even if you do need to make up some of the story as you go along!!!

3. June 22, 2011 6:27 am

I really couldn’t help you with those words. I’ll check back later to see what some people comment. Have a great day!

4. June 22, 2011 8:18 am

Wow, really, really new words. Can’t imagine how to pronounce either one.

5. Beth Hoffman permalink
    June 22, 2011 8:41 am

I’ve not a clue on either one!

6. June 22, 2011 9:02 am

I like the first one. It’s fun.

7. June 22, 2011 9:09 am

Can’t find it either! But I think you are right that it has to mean even more ungapatchka!

8. June 22, 2011 9:44 am

Often you can figure out the meaning by looking at how it’s used in the sentence, but not these. I’m clueless about the second one.

9. June 22, 2011 11:56 am

Really wondrous words this week ! I knew neither of them, searched and found…. nothing !

10. June 22, 2011 12:04 pm

I have never heard of the last word! No idea about its meaning either!
    I like the first word; hopefully I will be able to remember it.

11. June 22, 2011 1:35 pm

I remember coming across these words when I was reading this book as well, and having no idea in the world what they meant!

12. kaye permalink
    June 22, 2011 1:52 pm

Yow, those are two mystery words! Not in my dictionary either.

13. June 22, 2011 2:02 pm

I’m pretty sure those are two legitimate Yiddish words. However, sometimes I think authors create words just for the fun of it. – which is okay with me. If I were an author I’d be tempted to make up words too.

14. June 22, 2011 2:46 pm

Well two difficult words. I googled them and got nothing as well, even in translation from Yiddish.

15. June 22, 2011 2:48 pm

These are esoteric words. I found fachaleta (facing stones) but not fachalata!

16. June 22, 2011 3:33 pm

That’s pretty bad when words don’t even exist in the dictionary. Lol.

17. June 22, 2011 5:34 pm

Wondrous Words Wednesday is turning into a teaser!!! No clue about the word!

18. June 22, 2011 8:13 pm

Maybe she was channeling James Joyce and making up words? 😉

19. June 22, 2011 9:26 pm

Those are two excellent words. Of course, I’ve never heard of them before. 🙂

20. June 23, 2011 12:34 am

I just learned ungapatchka today. Such a unique word!

21. June 23, 2011 9:10 am

Sorry I was late on the Mr Linky. Nice words you found this week! Curiously neither of them sound very yiddish to me, but then again I am no expert.

22. DanaB permalink
    June 23, 2011 10:35 am

I marked that exact page in this book when reading it on my eReader this week! Funny thing is, when I Goggled the words, I got this post LOL!! 😉

~~

23. June 23, 2011 6:29 pm

Great words today!! I can’t even pronounce them 😀

24. June 26, 2011 7:01 am

I laughed when I read Softdrinks comment about “channeling James Joyce” that was hilarious.

So has anyone discovered what fachalata means yet?? Sounds like some scrumptious Italian dessert to me 😉

25. kathie permalink
    July 6, 2011 4:38 pm

Just finished Folley Beach, came across the same words–your quess is as good as any!

26. DebbiEllis permalink
    July 31, 2011 10:16 pm

both of these words are in the same sentence in “Folly Beach” by Dorothea Benton Frank. They both mean overly decorated. I had a decorator use these terms once and I had no clue what she meant so I asked her. They are derived from Yiddish. Oy Vay!!

27. May 29, 2012 1:23 pm

I just read the book and also found this blog when I searched the two words. The sense of them was reasonably clear in the paragraph, but I had wondered if they were “Gullah” words given the setting. I’m glad Debbi Ellis had experience with someone else with “ungatched” and “fachalata”. I’ll have to admit that as much as I love the words, I found them distracting from the story. A footnote would have helped.

28. Susan permalink
    September 26, 2012 6:08 pm

My grandmother used the former. It’s a Yiddish word, and the way she used it meant something was a mess, that stuff didn’t go together. Like something had too many parts that didn’t work well together, like a weird patchwork quilt. I looked it up just now because I was thinking of wearing a print top to a luncheon, along with some fancy jewelry, then decided to go more low-key with the jewelry so I would not look ungapatched. I hope this helps!

29. Shelly permalink
    September 9, 2015 3:49 pm

I know it’s been ages since this was posted, but I happened to be looking up the word ungapatched and came across this. The other word could possibly just be a misspelling of the Yiddish word “farchadet” meaning confused or mixed up.