BEA 2011 – Days 4 & 5

June 16, 2011
tags: , , ,

You’re probably tired of BEA posts by now, but I promise this is my last one!  Thursday was the last day of the trade show, but that didn’t mean things weren’t busy!  Julie and I arrived at the Javit’s Center and did a quick walk around before shipping our books.  Then it was time to meet for a walking tour of Greenwich Village and lunch with Adriana Trigiana at The Standard Grill.  The tour and lunch was a prize from Harper Collins and I have to say it was fabulous.  The tour was given by Nikki of Adriana Trigiani Tours and she was just delightful and really knew her stuff!  If you ever want to get a behind-the-scenes peek at Adriana’s books, you must take one of these tours!  Lunch at The Standard Grill was fantastic and Adriana kept us all entertained with her stories.  She is just fabulous and makes everyone feel comfortable.  She has a fan for life in me!  Getting to see her again was one of the highlights of my time in New York.

We tried to hail a cab after lunch, but with no success, so we ended up taking the subway and walking back to the Javits.  We got there just in time to take in the last 15 minutes of the Book Blogger Convention Reception.  A lot of people had already left, but I was glad to see Chelsy from Big Honcho Media again.

Next on the agenda was the Atria Books party for bloggers.  This was their first time entertaining bloggers and they did it up right.  They had food by Aaron Sanchez and a handful of authors there for us to meet.  All in all, it was a lot of fun.  Afterward, several of us decided to try out the delights of Magnolia Bakery.

Candace (Beth Fish Reads) and Alison (Alison's Bookmarks)

Friday morning, Julie and I grabbed breakfast at Junior’s and I was so happy to get a bowl of fresh blueberries.  Of course, we had to try the cheesecake while we were there and it did not disappoint.   We wandered around a little while and then had a quick bite to eat at Europa Cafe with  Sarah Pekkannen.  Sarah is so warm and gracious and truly appreciates bloggers.  Her next book is about women’s friendships and it’s currently in revisions!

You know I don’t travel without incidents and my trip home attests to that.  My flight to Baltimore actually arrived early, but I knew that was too good to be true.  I experienced several delays in Baltimore and as I sat at the gate waiting for news, I witnessed a police dog identify someone with drugs and saw her being handcuffed and escorted through the airport.  When she struggled and kicked one of the officers they threw her down (a little rougher than necessary in my humble opinion) literally at my feet.  Believe me, that made things at the gate quiet for quite a while.  We finally boarded and I arrived home around midnight on Friday, exhausted but happy.

1. June 16, 2011 5:06 am

Not boring at all. Nice to see how eventful it has been.

2. June 16, 2011 5:35 am

Not tired at all! Thanks for the photos and recap – they allow those of us who couldn’t be there a little glimpse of the fun you all had.

3. June 16, 2011 5:45 am

This has been fabulous to see all the events. I truly appreciate you posting them and hope to get there myself next year.

4. June 16, 2011 6:49 am

Wow! You had a great time at BEA! Lunch with Adriana Trigiana sounds awesome 🙂

5. June 16, 2011 7:08 am

I enjoyed all the posts and photos Kathy. Your airport story was a memorable way to end your trip…LOL

6. June 16, 2011 8:14 am

Always nice to put faces with blogger/author names. I like your BEA posts. I’m sure you could have done without the airport experience!

7. June 16, 2011 8:54 am

Gollee, you experienced a real live cozy before your eyes. I would have sat perfectly still. It would have been my luck for the officers to think I had part of her drugs or whatever on me. All I would need is to call home and tell_______that I was cuffed and at police headquarters. Well, that just topped your journey off. You have met so many authors. Kudos to you.

8. Beth Hoffman permalink
    June 16, 2011 9:01 am

I just love reading your recaps of BEA and seeing the pics! And my gosh, what a thing you witnessed at the airport.

9. June 16, 2011 9:25 am

We saw a dog find someone at the airport once too! Although there was no struggling afterwards. But it sure was something to see!

10. June 16, 2011 9:30 am

Lunch with Adriana? OMG how cool!

11. kaye permalink
    June 16, 2011 9:36 am

Sounds like a wonderful time was had by all. I really enjoyed all your BEA posts. Thanks for sharing.

12. June 16, 2011 10:41 am

I like reading your recaps of the BEA each year. It is almost as being there without the books. Someday I hope to be there. But, I don’t know if I would want to contend with the crowds.

13. June 16, 2011 10:47 am

Goodness! I remember your flight was delayed last year, and this time, there was plenty of drama! Some things remain consistent.

Glad you had a lot of fun at the event overall!!

14. June 16, 2011 10:48 am

Thanks for sharing the highlights of your trip with us! Sounds like you had so much fun in NYC!

15. June 16, 2011 10:52 am

You do tend to attract drama, don’t you Kathy. Would love to have seen your face when they tackled the girl and landed at your feet. 🙂 I keep promising myself that I’ll get to BEA and to meet you and my other virtual friends there some year.

16. June 16, 2011 10:54 am

This is the second time you got a chance to have a meal or a tea with Trigaini, right? Very cool! Also, I would have been scared out of my wits if I had witnessed that scene in the airport! I also love that there were so many events centered around bloggers this time around. I know there were a ton of lunches and meet and greets, as well as parties and cocktail hours. It sounds fabulous!

17. June 16, 2011 11:19 am

You had cheesecake for breakfast? You rock!

18. June 16, 2011 1:38 pm

I enjoy reading about everyone’s experiences at BEA and getting a taste of what it was like to be there. The walking tour and lunch sounds really memorable and fun.
    What a fabulous time!

19. June 16, 2011 2:13 pm

Nope not bored of these recaps yet. 🙂 Love hearing about them and thanks for sharing with us. 🙂 See you next year 🙂

20. June 16, 2011 2:39 pm

I will never get tired of reading BEA posts. I think I would love the walking tour! Geez, what an airport experience! Kind of a scary thing. Thanks for sharing your BEA experience with us! I have loved every minute of it!

21. June 16, 2011 2:49 pm

Looks like you had a great time there. Thanks for sharing your BEA experience and including photos too!

~ Popin

22. June 16, 2011 3:40 pm

I’m definitely not tired of BEA posts. Wish I could go one year. I do think I might go to SIBA in Sept. since it is so close.

23. June 16, 2011 3:52 pm

Baltimore airport never disappoints for drama. LOL Glad to hear you had a great time. Love hearing about these after hours events and lunches are always fun to hear about. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

24. June 16, 2011 4:05 pm

l love the Magnolia Bakery…cupcakes!!!

I am so glad you had such an amazing trip…but bad girl having cheesecake for breakfast…hee hee hee…

25. June 16, 2011 5:10 pm

I’ve loved you posts on your NY experience. Not tired of them at all. It’s been great for those of us unable to go to re-live it with you.

26. June 16, 2011 6:10 pm

Excellent post, Kathy. It sounds like an exciting trip–up until the very end! The photos are wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

27. lomaurice permalink
    June 16, 2011 7:24 pm

I never tire of hearing about BEA. It sounds like you had a blast. I am hoping to go next year. Thanks so much for sharing.

28. June 16, 2011 7:39 pm

I’m no tired of them either. I love to read about your experiences. I am hoping to win mega buck (of course I don’t ever go to the casinos, but….) and have enough money to come next year. Or one of these years anyway.

29. June 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Oh my goodness, it sounds like you got to experience so many wonderful things while you in NY! I loved reading all of these posts.

30. June 16, 2011 8:25 pm

Sounds like so much fun! I really hope to attend BEA next year.

31. June 16, 2011 8:37 pm

Your whole trip sounds fun-filled. I’m glad you had a good time at all of the events!

32. June 16, 2011 9:57 pm

Mmmm, I’m jealous of magnolia bakery!

33. stacybuckeye permalink
    June 16, 2011 10:07 pm

You fit a lot into your NYC week! I’ve enjoyed reading about your adventures 🙂

34. June 17, 2011 9:17 am

Way to end your trip with a bang! I loved getting to see you and Julie – let’s do it again next year! xo, Sarah

35. June 17, 2011 10:27 am

Glad to see you had such a wonderful time at BEA! I hope when I head out to Hawaii I don’t run into the same excitement you got at the airport. I wouldn’t mind a nice relaxing flight without any delays and problems!

36. June 17, 2011 4:48 pm

I’m glad you had such a good time Kathy except for that airport situation which would have scared me senseless. You’re so lucky to have met so many great authors.

37. June 17, 2011 6:54 pm

That certainly does sound like Baltimore! Wish I’d known you were stranded for awhile at BWI, as it’s less than 10 mins. from my house!

38. June 17, 2011 9:52 pm

Sounds like you had a fantastic time. The authors you met are wonderful and I want to read Sarah’s work!!

39. June 18, 2011 7:18 am

Great wrap-up. Those late-night cupcakes were wonderful. I can’t believe I ate two of them. LOL

40. June 19, 2011 9:41 am

I live for your out-takes from BEA! Hello – we’re grateful for every morsel….

PS laughed when I heard that hailing a NY cab adventure turned into “let’s get friendly” with the subway ride. Typically NYC. 🙂

41. June 20, 2011 12:43 am

Oh wow… a woman arrested for drugs? I’ve never seen arrests or police dogs sniffing down a person supposedly carrying drugs.

I’ve enjoyed all your BEA posts and the pictures, too!

42. June 20, 2011 2:09 pm

I just adore your travel stories. Never a dull moment with you! 🙂