BEA 2011 – Day 2

June 7, 2011
tags: , ,

Tuesday saw Julie and I getting up bright and early, so we could catch the early morning shuttle bus to the Javits.  We had to pick up our badges before heading over to the Children’s Author Breakfast.  This year’s breakfast featured Julianne Moore, Brian Selznick, Katherine Paterson, Sarah Dessen and Kevin Henkes.  All of the authors were wonderful and interesting and did a great job of keeping us entertained.

After breakfast, we hit the show floor and wandered around for a while before we met some friends for our annual hot dog lunch outside the Javits.

Stephanie (Stephanie's Written Word), me, Candace (Beth Fish Reads) and Dawn (She is Too Fond of Books)

Our first stop after lunch was to try to get an autographed copy of Luis Urrea‘s new book, Queen of America.  By the time we got there, all the books were gone, which was really great for Luis but not so great for us.  I hope his book is a huge success.  Next we headed to the YA Editor’s Buzz panel, but it was too crowded and loud for me, so I skipped out and saved seats at the Hot Book Club Titles panel.  This panel was fabulous!  Representatives of 10 publishers shared their picks with the crowd, and each one sounded better than the next.  Some of the books that stood out to me are Maman’s Homesick Pie by Donia Bijan, One Hundred and One Nights by Benjamin Buchholz, Everything We Ever Wanted by Sara Shepherd, and Slow Love by Dominique Browning.

Julie and I went back to our hotel for a few minutes before heading out to a New York Book Week event at the Apple Store in Soho.  Tuesday evening featured some of my favorites – Michael Koryta, David Baldacci and Brad Meltzer and they were all fabulous, not to mention easy on the eyes.  They talked about their research methods and where they get their ideas and told a little bit about their newest novels.  All of their new books sounded wonderful to me.

Beth Hoffman and Nicole (Linus's Blanket)

From the Apple Store, it was a short walk to the Mercer Kitchen where we had dinner with the ever delightful Beth Hoffman and a wonderful group of bloggers.  Beth has to be one of the most gracious and grateful authors out there and she made us all feel like rock stars for one night.  She had everyone in tears with her grace and humility.   I was honored to be part of this special dinner and feel privileged to know Beth.   The dinner was one of the highlights of my week.  We hated to see the day end, but after dinner it was time to head back to the hotel since we had another early morning (and exciting day) in store for us on Wednesday.

1. June 7, 2011 6:36 am

It was great to see the photos of bloggers we know. Glad u had a nice time.

2. June 7, 2011 7:28 am

So nice to read about all the fun that was had. Now to see about the books that have been brought back home.

3. June 7, 2011 7:31 am

Meeting other book bloggers would have been amazing! I wish I could have been there.
    I am glad to see you had a good time.

4. June 7, 2011 7:32 am

I can’t say how much I wish I could have been there to meet you all. Maybe one day!

5. June 7, 2011 7:35 am

Sounds like a great day! I know y’all went to bed tired each night with so much packed in to each day.

6. June 7, 2011 7:52 am

Sounds like a full but great day. And to end it with the evening panel and then dinner with Beth? Perfect!

7. June 7, 2011 8:10 am

Maybe when I retire from teaching, I’ll have a chance to go. Looks like tons of fun!!

8. June 7, 2011 8:54 am

Meeting so many authors and other bloggers would be so much fun! You had jam packed days of book goodness! I’m glad you had so much fun!

9. June 7, 2011 9:10 am

I heard so many nice things about the dinner with Beth Hoffman. She sounds like a wonderful person!

10. Beth Hoffman permalink
    June 7, 2011 9:22 am

I had so much fun with y’all! We made some terrific memories. Thanks for those kind words, Kathy!

11. June 7, 2011 10:26 am

Sounds like you were having a blast, Kathy! I have every intention of being there next year, so I hope to see you then!

12. June 7, 2011 10:51 am

The dinner with Beth Hoffman sounds like it was wonderful, but who am I kidding? It all sounds wonderful!! Glad to see that you got the chance to meet with so many other great bloggers and authors, and can’t wait to hear about day 3!

13. June 7, 2011 11:02 am

I had so much fun. Reading you post is like re-living the entire day!

14. June 7, 2011 11:14 am

Kathy thanks for sharing this with us. Next year for sure I am there and hopefully we will get to hang out more the we did last year. What no more party crashing? LOL just kidding you

15. June 7, 2011 11:17 am

Thanks for sharing! Loved reading about the great time you had at BEA – loved the pics, too!

16. kaye permalink
    June 7, 2011 11:24 am

So much fun reading your posts. Love to see bloggers pics too.

17. June 7, 2011 12:14 pm

I love reading everyone’s BEA posts and seeing the photos. One day I’ll make it there.

18. June 7, 2011 12:42 pm

It all looks like such a fantastic time! Thanks for sharing with us!

19. June 7, 2011 12:53 pm

Kathy, what a wonderful time you had. Isn’t Beth Hoffman the nicest woman and a great author to boot? Thank you for sharing your photos.
    I have to clear my schedule & get over my shyness & make sure I get to at least one day of BEA next year. It looks like a wonderful time!

20. June 7, 2011 1:07 pm

If I wasn’t already jealous your dinner with Beth Hoffman certainly made me that way. I hope you had many wonderful Oletta discussions.

21. June 7, 2011 1:17 pm

First, I didn’t know about Viola by Trigliani. That’s really new, isn’t it? I luved Big Stone Gap series. I didn’t read the third book in trilogy. Need to read it. Sorry for getting off track.

22. June 7, 2011 1:22 pm

Don’t tell. Didn’t know Beth Hoffman was an author until the other day. I don’t know how I missed it. Must need #2 pair of eyeglasses. I have to say all of you look pooped in the photo, but it’s a good look of fatique like you’ve got the most special treasures in your totes.

I’m going to ask my fairy godmother to let me go one year. I really, really want to go before my legs grow to tired to walk, laugh and eat whatever.

23. June 7, 2011 1:35 pm

The dinner you had with Beth sounds great! It’s definitely a bummer for us when the book we want is not there anymore!

24. June 7, 2011 1:50 pm

I was so upset not to be in NYC to attend the dinner with Beth. It sounds like you all had a fabulous time!

25. June 7, 2011 2:59 pm

LOVE the picture. Such fun!

26. June 7, 2011 3:31 pm

Thanks for sharing all these events with us. Sounds like you had a great time. Baldacci is a new favorite of mine. Glad you got to meet him sort of! 🙂 Beth is one my dedicated readers and she’s probably going to kill me one day for all those poetry books she’s been buying LOL

27. June 7, 2011 5:09 pm

It all sounds too wonderful…truly wonderful.

28. June 7, 2011 5:28 pm

Great post Kathy – it is fun to read the different BEA posts and see what everyone did while we were there .

29. June 7, 2011 5:48 pm

What a great day! Have a blast in New York. I was in the city a couple of weeks ago and got my first view of the High Line, a park created on an abandoned, elevated railroad line. Just amazing. It’s on the West Side, along Tenth Ave. between 10th and 20th streets, if you get down that way.

30. June 7, 2011 6:00 pm

What fun you are having. Keep enjoying.

31. June 7, 2011 6:01 pm

kathy, looks like you had a grand time–love the photos! dinner with beth must have been great. if she’s as sweet in person as she is online, it must have been a pleasure. i’m hoping to make it into the city next year for the blogger part of the con–i’m in such close proximity but never manage to make it!

32. June 7, 2011 6:04 pm

Beth Hoffman just comes across to me as authentic and true!! I’m so glad that you had a wonderful time!

33. June 7, 2011 8:24 pm

You really sounds like you had a full and amazing BEA. I hope to be able to attend next year!

34. June 7, 2011 8:58 pm

Oh, I love to see all of the pictures and to hear about your time there. I love that picture of Beth and Nicole. Looks like you all had the best time ever. 🙂

35. June 7, 2011 9:05 pm

I love that you had so much fun, met so many authors and bloggers too. Nice to put a face to some bloggers I like to follow. I cracked up at the annual hot dog lunch idea! The best part of your day was having dinner with Beth Hoffman. I too can’t say enough good things about Beth, as I started blogging my book reviews she was so sweet to stop by, to be honest and kind and oh so giving to me. She is one of the best. I really hope to meet her some day.

36. June 7, 2011 9:17 pm

Beth is one of the most encouraging writers I have ever “met”. She’s the real deal. Talented and naturally shines like the brightest star in the sky. The conference sounded wonderful!

37. June 7, 2011 9:44 pm

YA Editors Buzz was a totally packed. I was standing in the back squashed so close to people that whenever I moved I was touching somebody. I skipped the Hot Book Club Titles panel because I’m not technically in a book club, but it sounds like it was really interesting regardless. Wish I’d been at that one!

38. stacybuckeye permalink
    June 7, 2011 10:06 pm

Every one of these posts makes me want to reserve a spot for next year! Dinner with Beth would have been fabulous 🙂

39. June 8, 2011 5:37 am

Lots of my favourite ladies all in one place. Sigh! I may just make it out there next year.

40. June 8, 2011 9:04 am

I’m sorry you weren’t able to get Luis Urrea’s new book – I think it was from you that I was first introduced to his writing. As you say, great for him that the ARCs went quickly!

It was such a fun/busy/full week, and I love reading these posts – fun to relive it through your words and photos. Same place next year for the hot dog lunch?

41. June 8, 2011 4:11 pm

I’m glad everyone had a great time at BEA but my favorite part as a spectator isn’t learning about the event but all you guys who went! So fun to see pictures of you all having a great time.

42. June 9, 2011 6:43 am

What a fun, fun day! And I love Beth H and was thrilled to meet her in person.

43. June 9, 2011 6:34 pm

Thanks for sharing the pictures of bloggers we only know by words. Also great to hear about Beth Hoffman. I hope she told you she is writing another book. I’d buy it sight-unseen.

44. June 11, 2011 6:58 pm

Sighs while reading your BEA adventure… WOW 🙂 Living it all vicariously through you 🙂

45. June 28, 2011 3:04 pm

Hi . . . thanks for the kind words about “One Hundred and One Nights”!