Kid Konnection – LEGO Harry Potter: Building the Magical World

June 4, 2011

At 52, I feel like I’m a little too old to be playing with LEGO’s, but I have to admit that I had the urge to run out to buy some as I read LEGO Harry Potter: Building the Magical World by Elizabeth Dowsett.   This beautiful book is perfect for both Harry Potter and LEGO geeks fans.  It’s filled with beautiful, detailed photographs and tidbits about all the Harry Potter LEGO sets.  I’m amazed at the creativity involved in these sets.  There is a motorized Hogwarts Express set and one of the Hogwarts Castle sets includes a motorized Technic mechanism.

I was surprised to see that the sets and the figures were designed from the movies and the figures looked remarkably like the actors to me.  The book points out unique features of some of the Harry Potter LEGO sets, like purple bricks and the first non-brown pirate leg (for Mad-Eye Moody).  The back of the book has small sections on how these LEGO sets were created, how they are going digital and a listing and photo of each Harry Potter LEGO figure made.

The suggested age for LEGO Harry Potter: Building the Magical World is 6+.  I do think younger ones will enjoy looking at the pictures, but they’ll need help with the text.  Adult fans of LEGOs and Harry Potter will enjoy this book too.  Included with the book is an exclusive Harry Potter minifigure of Harry in his formal dress robes for the Yule Ball.

For more children’s books reviews, go to Booking Mama’s feature, Kid Konnection. If you’d like to participate in Kid Konnection and share a post about anything related to children’s books (picture, middle grade, or young adult) from the past week,  leave a comment as well as a link on her site.

I won a copy of this book from DK Publishing on Twitter.  I am an Indiebound Affiliate.
  1. June 4, 2011 5:42 am

Haha oh! We played with this, the other day, t the store. My little guy is only three but he adores LEGOS and loves Harry Potter. A good time was definitely had by all.

2. June 4, 2011 5:51 am

OMG — I may just have to have this. I know my nephews would love it too, even though they’re getting a bit old to admit they still like legos.

3. June 4, 2011 6:11 am

I would luv to take part in Kid Konnection. I would just like to keep up with what’s going on. Because I have two grandchildren who especially luv books.

4. June 4, 2011 6:24 am

I LOVE HP and if I was younger, I would have totally bought this 😀 My younger cousins would love this!

5. June 4, 2011 7:02 am

My husband and I always stop in at a Legos store whenever we encounter one, because they usually have elaborate displays of something or other made out of legos that you never would imagine! And it’s true, these creations are like impressionist paintings – the farther you move away, the more they seem integrated and not made out of legos at all!

6. June 4, 2011 7:47 am

My oldest is DYING to have this book; he’s a huge fan of DK books (I think we may own every single one but this one!) and of Harry Potter. I may just have to break down and get it for him 🙂

7. June 4, 2011 9:33 am

I haven’t been in the Lego dept. for a few years, but this sounds like I must make a trip there.

8. June 4, 2011 9:45 am

Legos were about the only toy I saved from when my boys were little. I have a whole suitcase full of them….the boys loved them….and I do too. Legos are amazing, and with Harry Potter? Wow!

9. June 4, 2011 10:05 am

We have the Star Wars lego book and Booking Son loves it! This one looks great too! I guess we’re geeks! 😉

10. Mandy permalink
    June 4, 2011 10:29 am

I’m definitely going to get this one for my 4 yr old. He is obsessed w/ Harry Potter & will love looking at the pictures!

11. June 4, 2011 10:32 am

Even at 17, my son is a huge Lego fan, and still plays with his and builds these outrageous things with them. I bet he would love this book. I am not sure if he has played with the Harry Potter Legos, but I think I will point him towards this book and see what he thinks. Thanks for sharing this great review with us, Kathy!

12. June 4, 2011 11:28 am

You’re never too old for Lego!! This looks like a great thing to have for entertainment!

13. June 4, 2011 11:49 am

I do know of a few adults who still buy the Legos sets and build them. I think Legos are timeless and hope they don’t change too much. I still have the boys legos and hope to pass them down to their kids someday..not too soon though!

14. June 4, 2011 12:15 pm

Aidan and I never get tired of LEGOS. It’s one of those toys that you can do so much with. When I was a kid we traveled with a carnival for a while and my favorite state fair was Iowa’s. They ahd a building full of LEGOS that you could go in and play with anytime you wanted to. Lot’s of fun! Aidan loves Harry Potter and LEGOS so I may have to get this book for him. Thanks for the review.

15. June 4, 2011 4:36 pm

I’d love it 😀 I always liked playing with lego

16. June 4, 2011 7:50 pm

I laughed when you crossed out geeks for fans… 🙂 I am a mother of one of the biggest geek for HP. My son KD grew up to this and my love for it came via reading the first 2 to him as a wee one. Once he started reading, I told him to read them on his own 🙂

Going to see if this one is in my local Indigo soon. Great thumbs up on HP.

17. June 4, 2011 8:48 pm

Legos are really amazing. We have one of the Lego Star Wars books and it is fascinating to see how they recreated that world. I’m sure the Harry Potter book is just as neat. I think it would be a fun and creative job to create these Lego sets. The games are fun too.

18. June 5, 2011 11:49 am

I’ve always been enamored by the castle set and dream of someday hiding in a dark corner and building it where no one can see me!

19. June 5, 2011 3:35 pm

I think this would make a great Christmas present for one of my nephews who adores Lego!!

20. stacybuckeye permalink
    June 5, 2011 9:44 pm

I see this book in Gage’s future!

21. June 6, 2011 10:18 am

This looks like something I would enjoy putting together.

22. June 6, 2011 5:37 pm

Oh fun! My son would love this book. I’ll have to keep my eyes out for it.

23. June 7, 2011 1:44 pm

The Girl would absolutely love this! I’ll have to tell her about it.