Kid Konnection: Alexis

May 14, 2011

Sixteen year old Alexis was having a tough time socially in 2007, and turned to the internet to try to fit in.  She spent a lot of time on a theater message board and was thrilled when the “King of the Board” contacted her privately through instant messenger.  At first, their relationship was friendly and Alexis enjoyed his attention.  As the summer progressed, he started some inappropriate conversations and eventually demanded some nude photos if Alexis wished to continue to be in contact with him.  Even though a part of her knew it was wrong, Alexis complied and got sucked into an emotionally dependent relationship, that made her uncomfortable at times.

Alexis: My True Story of Being Seduced by an Online Predator by Alexis Singer is one of Health Communications Louder Than Words Books, and it’s a must read for both teens and parents.   The book is written in Alexis’s own words, so readers get a feel for her emotions and how a middle-aged man used them to prey on her at a vulnerable time in her life.

I admire Alexis for her bravery in telling her story and being so open and honest about it, but I would be lying if I didn’t say that I did have a couple of problems with it.  I don’t mean to be judgmental, but it really bothered me that her family decided not to prosecute this man – he could still be out there doing who knows what to young people.  It really upset me that she continues to have contact with this man.

That wasn’t the last appearance of Phil in my life.  I don’t even know if his last appearance has occurred yet.  I’m sure it hasn’t.”

It’s hard to say that I enjoyed this book because of the subject matter, but I did appreciate it, even though I was appalled with parts of it.  This is a book to read and discuss with your children when they start using the internet.

For more children’s books reviews, go to Booking Mama’s feature, Kid Konnection. If you’d like to participate in Kid Konnection and share a post about anything related to children’s books (picture, middle grade, or young adult) from the past week,  leave a comment as well as a link on her site.

I won this book in a contest on Ticket to Anywhere.   I am an Indiebound Affiliate.
  1. May 14, 2011 7:26 am

This book would terrify me! I agree that I would be concerned with the thought that my daughter might still have contact with this horrible person!

2. May 14, 2011 7:39 am

I agree with Julie – this book would scare me! I wonder why she still continues to have contact with that man. The thought of him being out there disturbs me.

3. May 14, 2011 8:15 am

I find it extremely troubling that she still has contact with him.

4. May 14, 2011 9:10 am

It’s a tough world and a tough time we live in. I’m happy to have my family raised, but now I’m concerned for my grandchildren!

5. May 14, 2011 9:24 am

I am very familiar with this type of thing happening, because we have already had at least one run in with Melissa and something like this, so I think it would be interesting to read this book and also to have her read it. I would totally have prosecuted the man though, because I think that it needs to be done. Great review, Kathy!

6. May 14, 2011 9:43 am

this is a hard one….

7. May 14, 2011 9:47 am

I NEED this book, I have this conversation with many a young person and unfortunatley I don’t think they get it. Thanks for your review.

8. May 14, 2011 10:03 am

Very scary! Sounds important for parents with teens.

9. May 14, 2011 11:53 am

I can understand how it is like to be emotionally dependent on a person especially if that person has been paying you special attention and once you’re hooked, it’s hard not to give in to the demands even though it may be wrong. This book carries an important message.

10. May 14, 2011 2:47 pm

This book covers a very important subject for this day and age. I’m not sure I agree with the parents either and I am very surprised that this girl still may be in contact with this guy. If the parents had prosecuted this man she would not be able to have contact. I think this might be an important read for both parents and teens.

11. stacybuckeye permalink
    May 14, 2011 4:01 pm

What message is the book sending out there if she is still in contact with the man? And the parents not prosecuting just seems wrong, although I’m sure they have their reasons and they may be valid ones. Not sure that’s what I would want a teen to take away that message from the book!

12. May 14, 2011 5:44 pm

Dunno if I would like to read it, but I do like that they write about real things

13. May 14, 2011 9:38 pm

I read this one a while ago and I agree, it is scary to read and even scarier to know that this kind of stuff is going on. I admire the author for sharing it with everyone.

14. May 15, 2011 12:45 pm

You see this is the type of book I would get for my kids. I keep emphasizing how dangerous it the internet world can be and to exercise judgement when meeting new net-buddies. Predators come in all shapes and sizes, it’s unfortunate the internet has opened the Pandora Box for these vultures.

Kudos to the author for telling her story, I’d only wish she’d chase that man to court to make him pay for the ordeal she went through.

Going to advise my boys to read this one, and will pass the word on to my friends too.

15. May 15, 2011 2:15 pm

Sounds like an excellent story and one that the kids need to hear. They really think everyone on the internet is a friend.

16. May 16, 2011 8:33 pm

That is very disturbing to me that she would still have contact with him. Sounds like she and her parents might need some “help” to understand that by not reporting this man or pressing charges they are nurturing a pedophile.

17. January 30, 2012 3:39 pm

I haven’t read it so I’m not sure what he did to her but it seems odd that she would write a book referring to him as a predator and still WANT contact with him. I wonder why she would write a cautionary tale when she’s still not out of the situation? I’m definitely adding this one to my booklist!