Weekend Cooking: Slow Cooker Revolution
When I saw Slow Cooker Revolution by America’s Test Kitchen, in the store, I immediately thought of Caite‘s and Dawn‘s reviews, and knew I had to see what the book was all about. Carl and I looked through it and finding almost every recipe appealing, decided to buy a copy.
The cookbook is well put together – it’s full of information and lots of gorgeous pictures. It has product recommendations, tips and great explanations. It contains 200 recipes for everything from soup to dessert – you could cook an entire meal in a crock pot with this book.
We were eager to try one of the recipes in the cookbook and settled on Baked Ziti with Sausage and Peppers. The sauce was delicious, but the ziti was way overcooked. I would try this recipe again, but would probably reduce the cooking time by an hour. Since it only cooks for a few hours, I’m not sure it’s the type of recipe most people think of when they think of using their crock pot.
My next attempt from this cookbook was Tex-Mex Stuffed Peppers. I cooked them the shortest time recommended and they were delicious, but the pepper was slightly overcooked, so I would reduce the cooking time next time. The texture of the filling was almost like meatloaf.
Tex-Mex Stuffed Bell Peppers
1 onion, minced
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 T chili powder
1 T vegetable oil
4 (6-ounce) red, yellow, or orange bell peppers
1 slice high-quality white sandwich bread, torn into quarters
¼ cup whole milk
12 ounces 85% lean ground beef
1 cup frozen corn
1¼ cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (5 ounces)
¾ cup cooked rice
2 t minced canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce
salt and pepper
2 T minced fresh cilantro
- Microwave onion, garlic, chili powder, and oil in bowl, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Cut top ½ inch off each pepper. Chop pepper tops fine, discarding stems. Remove core and seeds from peppers.
- Mash bread and milk into paste in large bowl using fork. Mix in onion mixture, chopped pepper tops, ground beef, corn, 1 cup Monterey Jack, cooked rice, chipotles, 1½ teaspoons salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper using hands. Pack filling evenly into cored peppers.
- Pour 1/3 cup water into slow cooker. Place stuffed peppers upright in slow cooker and sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup Monterey Jack. Cover and cook until peppers are tender, 4 to 6 hours on low.
- Using tongs and slotted spoon, transfer peppers to serving platter, discarding liquid in slow cooker. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.
Challenges: Foodies Challenge
Weekend Cooking is hosted by Beth Fish Reads and is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend.