Kid Konnection: Rae

April 16, 2011

Chelsea Rae Swiggett always struggled with things that came easy for other people.  Loud noises would throw her into a panic and forget being called on in class or having to do a presentation.  Chelsea feared just about everything and felt that everyone was watching and judging her every action.  She said,

I think about death a lot, but I don’t want it.  I fear it with an abnormal passion.  Am I obsessed with life, then? Am I at risk for overdosing on being?  I wish I didn’t have to go through life fearing death at each corner, but it’s inescapable.  I will die.  I don’t know when or how, but I will.  And that terrifies me so much that I fear life.  Most of all, I fear fear.

Chelsea Rae Swiggett bravely shares her story in Rae: My True Story of Fear, Anxiety, and Social Phobia and I admire her for her honesty and candor.  Sharing her story couldn’t have been easy and my heart broke for her as I read this book.  It was eye-opening to read about everyday experiences through the eyes of someone who suffers from anxiety to the extent Swiggett did.  I think this book would be comforting to those who suffer that way and it would help others empathize with them.  This should be required reading for high school students and teachers.

My only problem with the book was that Swiggett didn’t share more of the details of her treatment.  It seemed that she got over her fears almost overnight and I know it must have been a difficult process for her.    If you or someone you know suffers from anxiety or social phobia, you need to read this book.

For more children’s books reviews, go to Booking Mama’s feature, Kid Konnection. If you’d like to participate in Kid Konnection and share a post about anything related to children’s books (picture, middle grade, or young adult) from the past week,  leave a comment as well as a link on her site.

I won this book in a contest on Ticket to Anywhere.   I am an Indiebound Affiliate.
  1. April 16, 2011 5:38 am

Thanks for recommendation, there is definitely a shortage of anxiety centered books on the market. Shall check this one out.

2. April 16, 2011 7:58 am

I need to check out this series and see what I can add to my library shelves!!

3. April 16, 2011 8:33 am

More and more teens are having difficulty with anxiety. And like Jessica said there is a shortage on the market geared for teens. Will keep this one in mind.

4. April 16, 2011 9:12 am

I can’t imagine having anxiety like that — so scary.

5. April 16, 2011 9:36 am

This looks like a valuable book for lots of people!

6. April 16, 2011 10:32 am

I can see where this book would be helpful to many people who suffer from anxiety. I think there are many teens who have anxiety and this book would help them to see they are not alone. Great review.

7. April 16, 2011 10:54 am

I have yet to read the book. I heard good things about the book.

8. April 16, 2011 11:36 am

Anxiety is everywhere but as a teen it can be downright terrifying.

Noting this one for library pick up.

9. April 16, 2011 12:51 pm

I do like this book for what it deals with. YA books need these stories too. And they can sure be good for kids to read

10. April 16, 2011 5:51 pm

I came across this book and a few others of this same series (for want of a better word) some time back and have been wondering about it since. I’m glad you think this book should be considered required reading in schools. When I read what these books were about, they did sound very important to me.

11. April 16, 2011 9:40 pm

It must have taken some courage to write this.

12. April 18, 2011 12:33 am

While certainly not the same theme, I can certainly appreciate reading books like this as a teacher. I read The Murderer’s Daughter last year, and the only reason I completed it was that I knew I should do it since I am a teacher. I once had a student whose father shot his mother, but I digress.

Thanks for bringing a book with meat and substance to my attention. Maybe it’s not perfect, but it is going on my TBR list.

13. April 18, 2011 4:58 pm

This sounds like a really fantastic book. One that provides ample learning opportunities.