Kid Konnection – Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Ugly Truth

March 26, 2011

Greg Heffley always imagined life would be better once he got older, but as a new school year starts, he discovers that growing up isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.  His mom has gone back to school, which means more responsibilities for all the males in the family.  He also has to navigate popular kids, orthodontic headgear, family gatherings and a “Facts of Life” class at school.  Since Greg is involved, you know things will be hilarious!

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Ugly Truth by Jeff Kinney is the latest book in the series, and I sure hope Kinney is busy at work on a new one!  I know I’m way over the targeted audience of middle grade readers, but I just love this series!  Made to look like diary, complete with lined pages, a font that looks like handwriting, and drawings, this series is so much fun and always makes me laugh out loud.  I even read part of this book to Carl.

Greg certainly has a healthy ego and can be obnoxious at times, but I can’t help but like him!   He thinks he’s smarter than everyone else, but has so much to learn.  I think most people can see a little bit of themselves or someone they know in Greg.   If you know a middle grade reader, do them a favor and get these books in their hands!

For more children’s books reviews, go to Booking Mama’s feature, Kid Konnection. If you’d like to participate in Kid Konnection and share a post about anything related to children’s books (picture, middle grade, or young adult) from the past week,  leave a comment as well as a link on her site.

I won this book in a contest on Bookin’ with Bingo.   I am an Indiebound Affiliate
  1. March 26, 2011 6:25 am

My son really likes this series. The reading is all that challenging for him, but the humor is up his alley, and as long as he’s reading, I’m happy! I don’t think he has read this one though. I’ll have to remind our librarian she needs to get a couple copies.

2. March 26, 2011 7:42 am

I’m definitely not the intended reader for the book (and neither are my 20-something kids) but I saw the author on the Today Show recently and I came away thinking I’d enjoy the movie (are there more than one?). I’ll check Netflix!

3. March 26, 2011 8:18 am

I figure these books will take off again since the movie is coming out! Booking Daughter loves them!

4. March 26, 2011 8:21 am

I haven’t read this one yet, but my daughter loves this series!

5. March 26, 2011 8:26 am

I usually don’t read such books, but I’ve heard that the series is really good. I have seen the movie with my younger cousins – it was really enjoyable!

6. March 26, 2011 9:07 am

Haven’t read these either. Great on the movie.

Elizabeth

7. March 26, 2011 9:40 am

I gave a set of these to my nephew for Christmas…not sure if he read them, but I’ve heard lots of fun things about them 🙂

8. March 26, 2011 10:38 am

For a former nerd, he sure is showing everyone now, with all the money he is making! :–)

9. March 26, 2011 11:06 am

My kids just love these. Thanks for sharing with us Kathy.

10. March 26, 2011 1:11 pm

You’ve raved about all the books in this series and my daughter wants to get into them. I think it’s time I get them into the house because my son will love them too, I’m sure!

11. March 26, 2011 7:30 pm

I think Wimpy kid has a big follower in you 🙂

12. March 27, 2011 8:08 am

I don’t know why I’ve not been able to get into this series. It’s wildly popular and everyone seems to really enjoy it (adult and YA). I’m glad you’re loving it! It seems to have good humor and morals to it.

13. March 27, 2011 7:45 pm

I sure hope another book is in the works!!! We are almost ready to give in and try the movie tie in books—even though I’m sure it is nowhere near as good.

14. March 27, 2011 8:12 pm

I think I’m going to have to read all of these except for 1 I did read that…during the 24 hour RAT!!

15. March 30, 2011 12:47 pm

The Girl read this book in a couple of hours, and then was sad that she has to wait for the next one.