Kid Konnection – Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days

March 12, 2011

It’s summer vacation and Greg Heffley wants to do nothing but sleep all day and play video games all night, but his mom has other ideas.  She encourages him to go swimming and tries to start a book club.  Since he never had one as a child, Greg’s dad brings home a puppy and that adds even more fun to the summer. Of course, since Greg’s involved, nothing is as easy as it should be.

I don’t know how Jeff Kinney does it, but his Wimpy Kid series gets funnier as it goes along.  Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Dog Days is hilarious!  I found myself laughing out loud as I read it and even read parts of it out loud to Carl and he laughed too!  Greg is such a fantastic character – even though he thinks very highly of himself and doesn’t always treat his friends and family the way he should, you can’t help but like him.   His logic is twisted but I’ll be darned if it doesn’t make sense to me at times.  I think everyone will see themselves (or someone they know) in some of the characters in this book.  The Diary of a Wimpy Kid series is a must read for middle grade readers and their families.  I just love it and can’t wait to see what Greg’s up to in the next book.

For more children’s books reviews, go to Booking Mama’s feature, Kid Konnection. If you’d like to participate in Kid Konnection and share a post about anything related to children’s books (picture, middle grade, or young adult) from the past week,  leave a comment as well as a link on her site.

I won this book in a contest on Bookin’ with Bingo.   I am an Indiebound Affiliate
  1. March 12, 2011 7:36 am

I’m so glad that you are enjoying these books so much!

2. March 12, 2011 7:46 am

This series sounds delightful! Even though my “little one” is no longer little I may check this series out for me.

3. March 12, 2011 9:02 am

I love books that make me laugh out loud!

4. March 12, 2011 9:53 am

We get so many requests for these books in our used bookshop. I love the fact that books like this keep kids excited about reading. When I go in today, I’m going to pick up the first one if we have it — your review convinced me I should read them even tho I have been out of middle school for many many years, lol.

5. March 12, 2011 10:18 am

Glad to hear that this one is as great as the other books. 🙂

6. March 12, 2011 12:14 pm

My Little One is on the last book and so sad they are done. He really liked this one, especially about the swimming because he takes swim classes too. He was telling me how Greg wrapped himself in toilet paper because he was cold.

7. March 12, 2011 12:34 pm

My girls love this series!

8. March 12, 2011 4:25 pm

I am starting to wonder how many books Wimpy has 🙂

9. March 12, 2011 6:16 pm

I really have to get my son into these. He’s into Captain Underpants now and I think this series is next.

10. March 12, 2011 9:06 pm

Yay!! What a truly wonderful series! I hope there are more books planned. I could live with this series not ending.

11. March 13, 2011 9:24 am

The kids love twisted and fun!! As I’ve said on the other Wimpy books you’ve reviewed…I can not keep these on the shelves!!! 😀

12. March 13, 2011 9:32 pm

I really did love the series- and I have to agree about his “twisted logic”… haha, I can totally relate at times!

13. March 13, 2011 9:51 pm

My nephew loves these books, and he is much younger than the target audience for them. He is constantly talking about them whenever I see him! Great review!

14. March 14, 2011 8:09 am

My oldest LOVES these books! He continues to check them out at the library even though we have both the print & ebook versions at home! I agree; a great series for middle graders!

15. March 14, 2011 6:48 pm

This is the only one of the series that I’ve read. I loved when Greg and Rowley made those ads and pasted their heads on the buff bodies.

16. March 16, 2011 1:25 pm

My son would have LOVED this series when he was younger. I just saw a preview for the movie and it looks really cute.