Weekend Cooking: Classic Southern Desserts

February 20, 2011

When Classic Southern Desserts came into my home, I was excited, after all, it’s from the editors of Southern Living.   I figured I was in for a treat when I sat down to look through this cookbook and I was right!  The book is printed on heavy weight paper and is loaded with gorgeous photographs of almost every recipe.  The recipes are divided by type of dessert – cakes, cookies, cheesecakes, pies, coffee cakes, puddings, frozen desserts, etc.  There’s also a guide to successful baking, a metric chart and an index.

Recipes range from traditional Southern favorites like Classic Cola Cake, Lane Cake and Red Velvet Cake to some more modern desserts like Eggnog Cheesecake with Gingersnap Crust and S’more Puffs.  I’m not a big dessert eater, but I swear I gained weight as I looked through this book because everything looks so good.

Carl has been in the mood for cookies lately, so I suggested he pick out a cookie recipe for us to test.  It was a tough decision, but he finally settled on Chocolate Cookie Bites.  We found the recipe easy to follow and the ingredients easy to find – in fact, all we had to buy was pecans.  The results were delicious – they’re a cake-like cookie.  Shaping the cookies was a little bit messy and I had my doubts that they were going to turn out at the point, but I worried for nothing.  Not only do they taste good, but they look good too!  I have a feeling this cookbook will get used quite often.

Chocolate Cookie Bites

¾ cup chopped pecans
1¼ cups powdered sugar, divided
1 cup butter, softened
2 Tbsps milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
¼ tsp salt

1. Preheat oven to 350º. Place pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan.  Bake at 350º for 6 to 8 minutes or until lightly toasted, stirring once after 3 minutes.
  2. Increase oven temperature to 400º.  Beat 1 cup powdered sugar and butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.  Add milk and vanilla, beating until blended.
  3. Combine flour, cocoa, and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, beating until blended.  Stir in pecans.
  4. Shape dough into 1-inch balls, and place 1½ inches apart on lightly greased baking sheets.
  5. Bake at 400º for 11 to 13 minutes or until tops of cookies just begin to crack.  Let cool on baking sheets 3 minutes.  Remove to wire racks; dust with remaining ¼ cup powdered sugar.  Cool 10 minutes.

Challenges: Foodies Challenge

Weekend Cooking is hosted by Beth Fish Reads and is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend.

I won this book in a contest on Bookin’ with Bingo.   I am an Indiebound Affiliate.
  1. February 20, 2011 6:01 am

They do look yummy! I love the sound of those other recipes too. Classic Cola Cake sounds unusual but I bet it tastes good.

2. February 20, 2011 7:04 am

Those look so good! I wold eat way more than I should just because they look so little.

3. February 20, 2011 7:09 am

Oh, I’m hungry now! 🙂 Those look delicious and I love the sound of Classic Cola Cake.

4. February 20, 2011 7:25 am

First off — I’m so jealous you got this one because I love Southern Living Recipes.

Your cookies look great and I wonder if I could modify it since it doesn’t have eggs to fit Booking Son’s allergies — sub his dairy free margarine, coconut milk, and no nuts?

Lastly, I grew up in the South, but I have never heard of a Lane Cake. What is it?

• February 20, 2011 8:22 am

Lane Cake originated in Alabama and is a white cake that has a “filling” instead of frosting between the layers. It usually has the “filling” on the top of the cake while the sides are frosted. The filling has pecans, raisins and coconut, and a little bit of bourbon in it.

5. February 20, 2011 7:43 am

S’more Puffs sound delectible! You are giving me good stuff to work with when sharing these recipies. Not that I’m much of a cook. Baking on the other hand, I can do ok with that! LOL These look fantastic.

6. February 20, 2011 7:53 am

They sound delish!

7. February 20, 2011 8:52 am

Oooh, looks decadent!

8. February 20, 2011 8:55 am

I never heard of the term Lane Cake either, although I’ve had cake with filling. I love cake-like cookies. I may have to find this book!

9. February 20, 2011 10:02 am

Oh I want this! I love Southern Living Cookbooks. Those look yummy 🙂

10. February 20, 2011 10:03 am

Wow no eggs, that’s a handy recipe to have around. I’d love to see the Cola Cake. Have a good Sunday.

11. February 20, 2011 10:12 am

I love Southern Living recipes! The cookies look delicious.

12. February 20, 2011 10:32 am

These so amazingly easy to make. And they really are pretty to look at too. I bet these would freeze well, making them a great cookie to have on hand when you need a little something after dinner.

I have never heard of a Lane Cake either, but I think I need to try one now! And like Julie, I’m a big fan of Southern Living recipes, so I know this book is bound to be a winner.

13. February 20, 2011 10:44 am

ooh, toasting the pecans must make them taste so good!! these cookies look great and i’m off to check what other recipes are in this book! your post has me salivating. 🙂

14. February 20, 2011 11:17 am

Yummy! Those sure do sound good. Of course I love anything chocolate. I think it’s adorable how you and Carl cook together. The world needs more men like that!

15. February 20, 2011 11:34 am

I’m not a big dessert fan but those cookies do look good.

16. February 20, 2011 12:14 pm

Mmmmmm! 😀

17. February 20, 2011 2:01 pm

hm… I think I am hungry!

18. February 20, 2011 2:02 pm

Those look SOOOOO good! My daughter is making chocolate chip cookies right this minute, but I love this twist on the normal recipe!

19. February 20, 2011 2:24 pm

They do look good and I know that my family would be thrilled if I’d ever take dessert making seriously. I’d still just rather look at the pictures.

20. February 20, 2011 2:36 pm

While I a a distaster in the kitchen I just may be able to pull off making this recipe.

21. February 20, 2011 2:45 pm

Oh my goodness – a whole book centered around Southern desserts? Yes please! Your cookies look delicious!

22. February 20, 2011 3:44 pm

Well, the Lane cake sounds WONDERFUL!! (I read your answer above) The chocolate cookies do too. I love Southern Cooking!

23. February 20, 2011 3:57 pm

Carl has good taste. I would like the cake cookies too. I love Southern cooking. I have never tasted nor baked a Red Velvet cake. I hear those are delicious.

24. February 20, 2011 4:07 pm

I am beginning to think that anything covered in powdered sugar is a yummy treat and now I am hungry for a cookie…and there are none in this house…so sad…

25. February 20, 2011 4:15 pm

This is such a beautiful looking cookbook! And it sounds like you are going to get a lot of use from it. I think if you find 4 or 5 recipes you like in a cookbook, it’s a keeper!

And thank you for this recipe! I adore cookies and was excited when I read what you chose to make but even more thrilled when the cookies came out well & tasting great! I cannot wait to try them!
    Did Carl liked them?
    ~ Amy

26. February 20, 2011 4:47 pm

Recipe sounds yummy thanks for sharing….

27. February 20, 2011 5:04 pm

O wow. These look delightful 🙂

28. February 20, 2011 6:47 pm

I just gained 15 pounds licking the sugar icing off the monitor… Thanks Kathy… Windex anyone????

29. February 20, 2011 7:01 pm

Oh my this is a dangerous little book! And delicious sounding 🙂

30. February 20, 2011 7:34 pm

I love dessert cookbooks, but rarely buy them because of health issues. I think it would be nice to have this one though, because lately I have been attending a lot of functions where I am asked to bring baked goods, and this would be the perfect book for me. Thanks for sharing this recipe with us. It sounds like it was a real winner!

31. February 20, 2011 7:53 pm

pecans…cocoa…what could go wrong?

32. February 20, 2011 8:39 pm

Those look delicious! I love chocolate cookies. 🙂

33. February 20, 2011 8:54 pm

This sounds like a wonderful cookbook. I appreciate the cookbooks that are made of quality paper:) The cookies look delicious!

34. February 20, 2011 9:18 pm

That looks yummy!

Just noticed that you bought a domain name! How awesome!

35. February 20, 2011 10:41 pm

Ooh, this is a cookbook that I would use a lot! I love red velvet cake. I’ll have to try these cookies as I am baking at least once a week for Willie and this would be a good one for us to try.

36. February 21, 2011 12:24 am

Not sure how I missed this one…but will definitely have to add it to my collection!!

37. February 21, 2011 9:55 am

Ummmm… delicious!!?! I totally want to try those!

38. February 22, 2011 1:33 am

Oh YUM!! The cookbook sounds great, and the cookies…. well, I could really enjoy them!!

😉

39. February 22, 2011 12:58 pm

Those cookies look really good! I already checked my library and there’s a copy of this cookbook available..I suppose we both know what that means…I’m visiting the library on my way home tonight.