Black Swan

February 8, 2011

When a ballet company is casting for its production of The Swan Queen, they’re looking for someone who can dance the role of both the White Swan and the Black Swan.  Nina Sayers (Natalie Portman) wins the coveted lead.  The part of the White Swan comes naturally to her, but she has to work to lose herself in the role of the Black Swan.  Along with that struggle, Nina is dealing with another member of the company who is attempting to sabotage her and it seems that Nina is losing her grip on reality.

One of my friends and I like to go to lunch and a movie and we’re both pretty open to each other’s suggestions, so when I asked her if she’d like to go see Black Swan, she readily agreed.  We were both engrossed in the movie, even though we weren’t always sure what had really happened.  The movie was cast perfectly, and the acting – particularly Natalie Portman’s – was amazing.  After the movie was over, my friend and I agreed that it wasn’t quite what we were expecting and a few other people who were in the theater said they felt the same way.   The thing is, this movie has grown on both of us as time has progressed.  I heard from my friend the day after we saw the movie and she said it’s still haunting her.  This movie plays with your mind and makes you think.  Be warned that it’s graphic in parts – I had to close my eyes more than once – and there is foul language and sexual content.  I’m still thinking about this movie days later and I’m glad I saw it.

1. February 8, 2011 5:11 am

Ohh, I want to see this movie so bad!!

It’s great that you have a movie buddy who you can go out with 🙂

2. February 8, 2011 5:42 am

I definitely want to see this film.

3. February 8, 2011 6:23 am

I’ve not heard of this movie yet but I like Natalie Portman, I’ll keep it in mind. That’s a scary looking poster by the way.

4. February 8, 2011 6:37 am

Kathy, glad you enjoyed it despite the graphic nature. I want to see this, King’s Speech and The Company, but we never seem to find the time to go,

5. February 8, 2011 6:39 am

I love movies that are twisted that way! My daughter really wanted to see it, but I said NO WAY. Not while she is under my roof! Looks like it is destined for Netflix. BTW, my parents, sister and I saw The King’s Speech yesterday and we absolutely loved it!

6. February 8, 2011 6:42 am

I love that you review these movies too. I can live through you! I am definitely interested in this one but will wait until Netflix.

7. February 8, 2011 6:55 am

I am glad to see the movie grew on you. It did not grow on me. I felt like Black Swan was made just to shock-the sex, the violence, the shots-all of it felt like a hodgepodge of disturbing images that didn’t fit together.

I agree with you-the movie was not what I expected. I just wish that I liked it better. Happy to see it worked for you!

8. February 8, 2011 7:01 am

I’m not sure if I want to see this movie. I’ve heard aseveral mixed reviews. I don’t go to movies as often as I would like, so The King’s Speech is on the top of my “must see list.” Thank you for your review.

9. February 8, 2011 7:12 am

I love movies that make you think long after I have left the theater. I hope I find the time to see this one and the King’s Speech soon.

10. February 8, 2011 7:29 am

I’ll probably wait to see this via Netflix. I did see The King’s Speech and loved it.

11. February 8, 2011 7:46 am

Definitely a film I’d love to see. I love ballet and the previews alone really look intense. Natalie Portman seems like the absolute right choice to play a ballerina. I can’t wait to see this; maybe I can take my husband!

12. February 8, 2011 7:54 am

You are so right about this film – it does haunt you for days afterward. Its such an engrossing story, becuase you are never sure what is truly real and what is not. Portman was brilliant as Nina – I hope she wins the Oscar! So glad you liked the film. Cheers!

13. February 8, 2011 8:29 am

I have been reading reviews of this all over the place, and my best friend saw it and said that it was haunting and kind of scary. I do really want to see this one, and may have to take my husband this Friday night so that we can see it before it goes out of the theaters. Great review, Kathy! I will have to let you know what I think of it!

14. February 8, 2011 8:58 am

I don’t think I could go for the graphic stuff, although usually you don’t either, so if you liked it, maybe I would! :–)

15. February 8, 2011 9:19 am

I thought it was good, not great. Here’s my post about it… http://bagsbooksandbonjovi.blogspot.com/2011/01/academy-awards-student-drivers-charming.html

16. February 8, 2011 9:44 am

Oh, I am NOT a movie fan but I REALLY want to see this! Natalie is probably the only person who can get me to a theater, these days. :O)

17. February 8, 2011 10:16 am

I will wait for the DVD (not so fun to be confused while at the movie theatre )

18. February 8, 2011 10:23 am

This is so on my want to see list. I’ve heard nothing but good things, even though I did hear it was pretty graphic. I keep telling my husband I want to see it but I don’t know if I want to watch it. Though again, it looks like there are times it will be beautiful to watch. I’m glad you enjoyed it, if enjoy is the word.

19. February 8, 2011 10:56 am

I won’t see this in the theater, but I definitely want to watch it. I love Natalie Portman!

20. Beth Hoffman permalink
    February 8, 2011 11:36 am

I’ve been avoiding this film because I really don’t like sex scenes. But I think I’ll watch it on DVD when it’s available and do as you did — close my eyes when necessary! lol

21. February 8, 2011 12:19 pm

Wonderful review, Kathy. This movie does sound haunting.

22. February 8, 2011 1:17 pm

I don’t know, I think this movie will haunt my dreams! 🙂

23. February 8, 2011 1:39 pm

My husband and I were just talking about going to see the movies nominated for Best Picture Oscars. This one was on the list but we hadn’t heard a thing about it. And then I open your blog. Wow, how timely. Thanks Kathy, for your review and also the warnings.

24. February 8, 2011 1:52 pm

This one sounds so good! I really want to see it..and now you’ve made me want to see it even more.

25. February 8, 2011 2:33 pm

I really want to see this one. Glad it’s worth the time and ticket price.

26. February 8, 2011 2:57 pm

I’d like to see this one but I’m sure my husband wouldn’t like it, so I’ll get the DVD. I have been hounding him to go see The King’s Speech.

27. February 8, 2011 3:00 pm

I saw this movie also and I agree it is haunting & graphic in parts, I like to leave a movie with a good feeling.

28. February 8, 2011 3:03 pm

I would like to see this.

29. February 8, 2011 3:34 pm

I really liked this movie, and I agree: I liked it more after it was finished than I did while watching it. I think Aronofsky’s vision was impressive in it.

30. February 8, 2011 3:44 pm

Wow…I love your depiction of this movie…now I want to see it even more than I did before…I need to take my husband on a movie date…

31. February 8, 2011 4:00 pm

Portman in the coming attractions has seal the deal on me seeing this one…soon

32. February 8, 2011 4:02 pm

I still haven’t been out to see this, but I still want to 🙂

33. February 8, 2011 4:15 pm

Great review Kathy, you have made me excited to see it again. I was out sick the whole time and it isn’t in the theatre anymore, doesn’t stay here for long, you may remember.

The professional dance world is cruel, I can’t wait to see it having my opinion experience in that amazing but cruel world, the movie is probably so true.

Fun that you have a movie buddy.

34. February 8, 2011 4:51 pm

Oh I really, really didn’t like it. A few friends and I went to see it and for the first time ever I kept making excuses to get up in the middle of the movie. I’ve NEVER left the theater in the middle of a movie before. Paige really liked it but Kat was with me lol.

35. February 8, 2011 7:26 pm

This is one that I would really like to see. I think i’ll wait for it to come on blu-ray. My hubby won’t watch this one with me…lol

36. stacybuckeye permalink
    February 8, 2011 7:31 pm

I really want to see this one! I’ve already added it tp my Netflix queue. I think Natalie Portman is a great actress and look forward to seeing her award performance.

37. February 8, 2011 7:40 pm

It was an intense movie and I kept wondering when she would crack. The pressures from her surroundings and the irony of her role White Swan & Black Swan swept into her being.

Haunting and disturbing.

38. February 8, 2011 8:56 pm

This is one that each time I see the trailer I keep thinking about going to see it!!

39. February 8, 2011 9:26 pm

Great review. I’m intrigued. Especially hearing that the movie continues to engage you afterward. It’s playing here on Kauai so I may go.

40. February 8, 2011 9:27 pm

Wow! You got me really interested in this now. I saw the trailer and it wasn’t anything like I was imagining it.

41. February 8, 2011 10:06 pm

My mom saw this movie…and I was creeped out just by her descriptions.

42. February 8, 2011 11:08 pm

I loved this movie, even though it is very disturbing. Natalie Portman rocked the role!

43. February 8, 2011 11:54 pm

I still have to see this one. I’ve been wanting to see it since it first came out, then all the buzz made it really difficult to go see it (when we tried, both times the room was already full!).

44. February 9, 2011 12:50 am

I love it when a movie gives me something to think about for a long time afterward. I’m sure I’ll see this eventually on dvd.

45. February 9, 2011 8:43 am

This is very high on my “want to watch” list. Thanks for a great review!

46. stilettostorytime permalink
    February 9, 2011 9:00 pm

Really want to see it….and now want to see it even more. With little man we will probably catch it once it hits HBO or On-Demand or DVD….oh the life of parents with lil’ ones….the movies are a vague things I remember….distantly! Thanks for the review!

47. February 9, 2011 9:03 pm

I’m envious of all the films you get out to see!

Do you feel that a movie (or book) is successful if it stays with you, if you’re still thinking about it days later? (I do!)

48. February 9, 2011 9:28 pm

I really want to go see the movie but none of my friends seem all that interested. I may have to go watch a afternoon matniee by myself. Thanks for your thoughts on it.

49. February 10, 2011 2:00 pm

I’m really undecided about this one. After my friend told me about it I watched the preview and had to watch it several times because I was so intrigued. But I decided it was one that was too scary for me to see in the theater (I’m a WIMP!). She saw it as did my sister and both said similar things as you–haunting and intense but not what they were expecting. I’m glad you liked it–I might wait until it’s out of the theater so I can throw my quilt over my head if there are any bad parts. Ha!!

50. February 10, 2011 4:23 pm

Wow!! I know nothing about this movie except that it got an Oscar nod (a few times I believe). The clips that I’ve seen seem haunting in a way, but don’t tell you too much about the movie itself.

I don’t get out to see movies too much unless they are family movies but now you’ve got me wanting to see this one.

51. February 10, 2011 4:42 pm

My parents saw this last week. My dad felt about it much as you did. My mom said if the bench in the lobby would have been more comfortable she would have moved out there about a third of the way through it. It may have been the graphic parts though. I’m still anxious to see it.

52. February 12, 2011 1:28 am

I thought Black Swan was very well done. I’m glad I went but sooooo depressing.

53. February 13, 2011 5:07 am

I am waiting eagerly for this to show in the cinema near my place.

54. February 14, 2011 5:29 pm

I definitely want to see this one. I’ve heard that Portman does a fantastic job just like you have noted here.