November 10, 2010

Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading.  If you want to play along, grab the button, and join the fun!  (Don’t forget to leave a link in the comments if you’re participating.)

All of my words this week came from Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn.

1. lucubrate – “We shall be wearing burlap and flour sack tomorrow, and lucubrating by candlelight because even light bulbs seem doomed now to join the official list of technological non-essentials.”

Lucubrate means to work diligently by artificial light.

_____________________________________________________

2. aposiopesis – “(Mother is having only a slightly better time of it than Mrs. Moseley who, having fallen victim to chronic aposiopesis in the morning, spent the bulk of the afternoon seated in silent defeat behind her desk, while her restless third graders improvised games of catch with a variety of show-and-tell items.)”

Aposiopesis means to be fully silent.

_____________________________________________________

3. poltroon– “I am an ignoble poltroon!”

Poltroon means a spiritless coward.  Talk about a fun word!

_____________________________________________________

Have you discovered any new words lately?

1. November 10, 2010 6:41 am

Poltroon is new to me. Well, so are the others but I agree that poltroon just sounds like a fun word 🙂

2. November 10, 2010 7:03 am

These are great words… I agree that Poltroon is a fun one.

3. November 10, 2010 8:09 am

Lucubrate looks a lot like lubricate, which is what I originally thought the word was, and I also love, love, love poltroon!

4. November 10, 2010 8:45 am

Couldn’t figure out what one of the word’s definition might mean. This is one word that will never describe me-aposiopesis lol.

5. November 10, 2010 9:21 am

I’ve read poltroon before, I’m almost sure. Here are mine for this week: http://wordlily.com/2010/11/10/words-from-my-reading-56/

6. November 10, 2010 9:26 am

I’m on the poltroon bandwagon, I’m certainly going to try and use it when I can. The rest are new to me as well. My daughter read Ella Minnow Pea and really enjoyed it, I hope you did as well.

Here are my words:

7. November 10, 2010 9:30 am

Hmm I belong to the poltroon category.

Will be back to see your review for the Green Campaign next.

I set my blog for a 13 pm publish and imagine my surprise to see Tumblr pushing the item before that time! Arghhh… oh well will have to contact Tumblr about this.

Enjoy the day and GO GREEN!

8. November 10, 2010 9:55 am

Oh my goodness, I loved Ella Minnow Pea. I’m so happy to see you reading it! I hope you’re loving it as much as I did.

9. November 10, 2010 10:10 am

These are great words; all three are new to me, Kathy, and I should add them to my list. I have not read Ella Minnow Pea. 🙂

10. November 10, 2010 11:37 am

I think I want to read this book – just to see how a third grade teacher with aposiopesis copes.

I have three new words today. Come see my Wondrous Words at Joyfully Retired.

11. November 10, 2010 11:49 am

These are some excellent words!

12. November 10, 2010 11:52 am

Lol, loving the last one 🙂

13. November 10, 2010 11:57 am

These are some very interesting words this week and these excerpts have piqued my interest about this book. I will be looking forward to your review!

14. November 10, 2010 12:24 pm

Yes, excellent words….my trouble is that I can never remember them once I read them/look them up. As much as I read, my spoken vocabulary is pretty elementary.

15. November 10, 2010 2:48 pm

I can’t tell you what I thought lucubrate meant – this is a family site, right? The only one I knew was poltroon and I can’t imagine myself using the other two, because for one thing I doubt if I’ll be able to remember them. 😀

16. Karen Montgomery permalink
    November 10, 2010 3:48 pm

I am back this week, but only have one new word, okay? http://myonlinebookjournal.wordpress.com/2010/11/10/wondrous-words-2/

17. November 10, 2010 4:22 pm

These words are awesome. I never run across any good ones in my reading. 🙂

THANKS.

18. November 10, 2010 6:03 pm

Aposiopesis is a great word! I thought it was going to be a disease or a medication but what a cool way to say “silent”! The sentence it’s in is wonderful, too!

I totally agree that poltroon is a really fun word! I’m beginning to think that Ella Minnow Pea is a great book and I should look it up! I hope you’re enjoying it!

I have thought I participated in your Wednesday meme this morning but I realized I totally forgot to post my words! Ugh, it’s been one of those weeks!

So my words are finally posted:
    Amy’s Wednesdays Words!

Thanks Kathy :o)
    ~ Amy

19. November 10, 2010 6:56 pm

I’m definitely a poltroon sometimes… LOL!

20. givingreadingachance permalink
    November 10, 2010 8:30 pm

Now poltroon is the word I have been waiting for.