Kid Konnection: Late for School

October 16, 2010

I’m a big fan of Steve Martin’s so I was excited when I saw that he’s come out with a children’s book.   In Late for School, the unnamed protagonist is hurrying to get to school, since he’s overslept.  He’s worried that his parents will be upset and his grades will be affected, so he’s rushing like crazy, only to find a surprise at the end.

The book is illustrated by C. F. Payne and he does a marvelous job – his illustrations have a little bit of a Norman Rockwell feel to them.   After I read the book once, I went through it slowly to study the illustrations.

Late for School was originally written as a song, so a CD with a recording of the song, performed by Steve Martin,  is included in the book.  I actually think the story works better as a song – somehow the rhythm of the words didn’t work as well in the book for me.  Overall, I thought the book was pretty good, but there was one verse that bothered me:

Leapt across three lawn flamingos
Waved to Sal, he’s Filipino
Jumped a fence and found that
I headed toward a pool

I”m not sure why “he’s Filipino” is included – it doesn’t seem to add anything, not even a rhyme.  Here’s Steve Martin singing Late for School – this isn’t the greatest quality video, but it’s the best I could find:

For more children’s books reviews, go to Booking Mama’s feature, Kid Konnection. If you’d like to participate in Kid Konnection and share a post about anything related to children’s books (picture, middle grade, or young adult) from the past week,  leave a comment as well as a link on her site.

Review copy provided by Hachette Books.  I am an Indiebound Affiliate.
  1. October 16, 2010 5:06 am

I love this Kid’s Konnection part of your blog. It’s so much fun. Helpful for the holidays too.

2. October 16, 2010 5:20 am

I like your Kid’s Konnection posts too. I’m not sure why “Filipino” is added, but is the author telling readers that the protagonist is one?

3. October 16, 2010 5:51 am

This sounds like a fun one to read with my kids. We’re always looking for new material! I’ll keep an eye out, and thanks for the review.

4. October 16, 2010 7:19 am

Yeah I don’t get the Filipino either, but the song is cute and so is the story.

5. October 16, 2010 7:59 am

You can’t help but love Steve Martin. This sounds like a fun book and a cute video. Enjoyed your review.

Mason
    Thoughts in Progress

6. October 16, 2010 9:03 am

The cover immediately made me think Norman Rockwell…..sounds cute.

7. October 16, 2010 9:14 am

Steve Martin is so versatile! Although who *could* find a rhyme for flamingo?!!

8. October 16, 2010 9:16 am

I love Steve Martin and would probably be willing to check out this one just because of him! Thanks for sharing!

9. October 16, 2010 11:51 am

We love Steve Martin too. And my son loves books which includes a CD of the song. Didn’t know Steve Martin could sing!

10. October 16, 2010 12:14 pm

Sounds cute!

11. October 16, 2010 3:58 pm

Steve Martin is a classic! The song is very cute. My son and I will definitely have to read the book.

12. October 16, 2010 4:00 pm

Great video! Sounds like a cute book. The best children’s books can be sung to a silly tune (even if it’s close but not quite a perfect rhyme).

13. October 16, 2010 4:28 pm

I love Steve Martin too! This book’s title is really tugging at me, and that cover! I don’t really remember being late to school – maybe by a few mins. It’s one thing I wish I did more often, lol, just to be able to say that I did it. 😉

14. October 16, 2010 5:47 pm

Sounds like a fun little book, Kathy! 🙂

15. October 16, 2010 9:29 pm

This sounds like fun … and one that adults might like even more than the kids because of their knowledge of Steve Martin.

16. October 17, 2010 1:42 am

I love Steve Martin and it will be interesting to read his kids book. It is odd about “Filipino” I’m not sure what that must be about.

I did my first Kid Konnection review (sort of, since I haven’t finished the book) and I linked back to Booking Mama’s blog. I will link yours soon too.

17. October 17, 2010 1:03 pm

Too bad the song was better than the book.

I do have to say the cover is what I love for it’s nostalgic feel.

18. October 17, 2010 7:02 pm

I really liked Shopgirl when I read it a few years ago, and have been keeping an eye on Martin since then. That being said, I had no idea that this book was even out there, so thanks for this review! I am also pretty excited about his new book that I picked up at SIBA, and will have to let you know what I think of it!

19. October 17, 2010 7:31 pm

This one sounds different!

20. October 18, 2010 1:32 pm

Sounds really cute, thanks.

21. October 19, 2010 12:52 pm

I’d say flamingos and filipinos are supposed to rhyme…it probably works better if you sing it, or say it fast. Not sure though…

Sounds like a cute read. I do love Steve Martin.

22. October 20, 2010 8:49 am

I haven’t read anything by Steve Martin yet, but this one looks cute, despite the weird non-rhymes.