Kid Konnection: Nanny McPhee Returns

August 14, 2010

Isabel and Rory Green and their three children live happily on their farm in the English countryside until Rory is called to fight in the war.  The family does the best they can to cope, but find it difficult, as most families would.  When their rich cousins come from London to stay with them during the war, they instantly clash with the Green children.  Out of nowhere, Nanny McPhee shows up and tells them “when you need me but do not want me, then I must stay.  When you want me but no longer need me, then I have to go.”  Nanny has five lessons to teach the children.

In the meantime, Rory’s brother is doing his best to take possession of the farm.  It seems he will stop at nothing to do it, too.  The children realize it’s up to them to save the family farm, and with the help of Nanny McPhee, they set out to do just that and learn some valuable lessons along the way.

Nanny McPhee Returns by Emma Thompson is really two stories in one.  The main story is the fictional account of  Nanny McPhee and the Green family.  Interspersed with that story is a diary that Emma Thompson kept while they were filming the movie version of the book.

I found the story of Nanny McPhee to be loads of fun!  I think it will really appeal to the intended audience of older middle grade to younger young adult readers.  It’s full of action and young readers will enjoy the strong juvenile characters in the book.  They’ll also appreciate the silliness of Nanny McPhee.

I found the diary to be a little bit disruptive to the storyline with the way it was injected periodically into the story.  I also found it to be written at a more adult level than the story.  Thankfully, it was short and I was able to get back into the story quickly.

There is a glossary of movie terms in the back that young movie buffs and future film makers will enjoy.  I even learned what a gaffer is – he’s the one in charge of all the sparks, who are the people in charge of the lights and the generators.

Overall, I thought this was an entertaining book that will appeal to young readers.  Check back on Monday – I’ll be giving away three Nanny McPhee prize packs!

For more children’s books reviews, go to Booking Mama’s feature, Kid Konnection. If you’d like to participate in Kid Konnection and share a post about anything related to children’s books (picture, middle grade, or young adult) from the past week,  leave a comment as well as a link on her site.

Review copy provided by Big Honcho Media.   I am an Indiebound Affliate.

Bookmark and Share

1. August 14, 2010 8:30 am

Sounds like something I can gift to my nephew!

2. August 14, 2010 8:40 am

I have always wanted to see this movie. I better hurry up and read the book and see the first movie before the second one comes out!

Thanks for sharing in Kid Konnection.

3. August 14, 2010 9:07 am

I had no idea Emma Thompson had books out. I love her!

4. teenagersmom permalink
    August 14, 2010 11:13 am

I just saw the movie last night, it was fantastic and frankly, better than the 1st one.

5. August 14, 2010 12:59 pm

Nanny McFee is one of our family favorites. I also didn’t know that Emma Thompson had a book out. I’d read it just for that as I greatly admire her as an actress/person.

6. August 14, 2010 2:04 pm

My kids saw the trailer for the movie and want to see it since they loved the first one. I wasn’t aware there was a book out. I always prefer reading the book before watching the movie. Thanks for this review!

7. August 14, 2010 2:15 pm

I’ve not read the book but we did go see that first movie, and then the kids ended up buying it. The critics didn’t like either movie much, but they are cute, and Emma Thompson is a delight as always.

8. August 14, 2010 6:57 pm

I know that my kids would like to see the movie at some point. It does look like something they would like, but I’m thinking we may wait until it’s out on dvd.

9. August 14, 2010 11:59 pm

I heard about this movie when we went to see Salt. I really liked the first one so I’m looking forward to seeing it.

10. August 15, 2010 8:35 am

My boys loved the first movie! We can’t wait to see the second one. I’ll have to see if we can get this from our library!

11. August 15, 2010 5:56 pm

My kids loved the first Nanny McPhee book, and I am sure they would love this one as we.., though it does sound like the diary section could be a little disruptive. I am glad you had a good time with this book! I wonder if they will make a movie of this one as well.

12. August 16, 2010 12:00 am

I have not read these books at all. It sounds good, I know I will definitely enjoy them when I am in the mood 🙂

13. August 16, 2010 11:39 am

I am reading this book now. I too think it’s a great story — different from the movie in its telling (I saw an early preview of the movie on Saturday).

I liked the film diary parts, but some of it was a little adult in my mind as well.

14. August 16, 2010 8:30 pm

I watched Nanny McPhee and really enjoyed it, but I didn’t realize it was a book!

15. August 18, 2010 3:47 pm

Strangely, considering who I live with, I haven’t been reading many kid’s books lately — and I miss them! We all loved the first movie. It will be interesting to see how reading the books differs from the movie experience.

Thanks for your review!

16. August 20, 2010 12:25 am

I never saw the first movie but heard it was really cute. This latest one sounds really good too. I didn’t know there was a book that went with it.