Kid Konnection: 11 Birthdays

July 17, 2010

Amanda and Leo were born on the same day in the same hospital.  They become fast friends and even celebrate their birthdays together every year.  As their tenth birthday party is about to start, Amanda overhears Leo telling some of the guys that he doesn’t like having his party with her, but his mom makes him, and besides that, she doesn’t have many friends.  Devastated, Amanda leaves the party and doesn’t speak to Leo again.

Since they’re not friends anymore, Amanda and Leo are having separate parties for their eleventh birthday.  Amanda’s day doesn’t go all that well and she finds herself thinking about Leo, but she manages to get through the day and the party and is thankful when it’s all over.  Only, it’s not – she wakes up the next day to find it’s her birthday all over again.  At first, she thinks she’s the only one who notices, but she discovers that Leo knows it’s happening too.

Amanda and Leo must team up to discover what’s caused this time glitch and to figure out how to stop it.

11 Birthdays, by Wendy Mass is a delightful middle grade book!  It’s told from Amanda’s point of view and I have to say that I think the author does an excellent job of capturing the pre-teen girl’s voice.  I felt so much for Amanda – she’s trying to navigate middle school, a hormonal older sister, and busy parents and then her life starts to rewind itself every day for some unknown reason.

At first, it seems like it might be fun to live your birthday over and over again, but after reading what Amanda and Leo went through, you’ll re-think that.  Sure, you have to suspend disbelief to enjoy this book, but it’s so worth it.  This book is loads of fun and made me laugh and smile.  The middle grade girls in your life won’t want to miss this book!

I am an Indiebound Affiliate.Shop Indie Bookstores

Bookmark and Share

1. July 17, 2010 8:20 am

Great review. This was Booking Daughter’s favorite book when she read it.

2. July 17, 2010 8:55 am

Sounds like a cute book. I guess it would be fun for the first couple of times you relived it, but after that it would probably get old. Enjoyed the review.

Mason
    Thoughts in Progress

3. July 17, 2010 9:16 am

As a giant fan of the film Groundhog’s Day, I get a bit excited every time I see a story about repeating a day. Sounds like a fun book!

4. July 17, 2010 9:23 am

This is the book they gave The Girl at the Scholastic tour. I just read your review to her, and now she’s really looking forward to reading it. I’ll probably have to borrow it from her to read it myself. 😉

5. July 17, 2010 10:26 am

We read Finally from Wendy Mass and thought it was hilarious. She is a talented author.

6. July 17, 2010 10:50 am

I haven’t read anything by Mass yet but this sounds like a great book. I’ll share it with my girls.

7. July 17, 2010 12:56 pm

My granddaughter was telling me about this book. She is a big fan of Wendy Mass’ books. Now, of course, I’m going to become a fan too.

8. July 17, 2010 3:35 pm

11 Birthdays sounds like a really good book, one that both my middle-schooler and I would enjoy reading.

9. July 17, 2010 4:12 pm

Nice review. This sounds really cute!!

10. July 17, 2010 4:19 pm

Your summary made me think of a friend of ours, in her eighties, who just celebrated her birthday. Her sister was born on the same day, just eight years later. When she told her teacher that she and her sister had the same birthday, but eight years apart, her teacher said, “Don’t tell lies.”

Gotta love those teachers from the 50’s (and the ones I had) who didn’t believe a word you said!

11. July 17, 2010 6:33 pm

This sounds really cute. I’m going to have to look for this one for Betty … seems like something she would enjoy. Thanks!

12. July 17, 2010 7:19 pm

Sounds totally cute!

13. July 17, 2010 7:31 pm

I loved Every Soul a Star, but not this one so much. Then again, it was the last book I read during the read-a-thon and I was a little tired! 🙂

14. July 17, 2010 9:39 pm

This sounds like a fun book. I haven’t read any middle grade books lately and I need to work a few in and this one sounds perfect. Added to by tbr list. 🙂

15. July 18, 2010 3:07 am

It sounds like a cute book!

16. stacybuckeye permalink
    July 18, 2010 11:08 am

Looks like a fun middle grade read!

17. July 18, 2010 8:07 pm

Note to self: get book and read!! This one is on my school shelves so I will make sure to pick it up when school returns to session!

18. July 18, 2010 9:49 pm

This sounds really neat. I love the idea … kind of a Groundhog Day for kids. And the idea of the strained relationship between them sounds interesting too.

19. July 19, 2010 11:55 am

It might be a little young for my daughter, but I think she might actually like this story and have fun with it. She reads really fast, so I am assuming that she might be able to stick this one in between a couple of other longer books. Great review, I will be looking for this one!

20. July 19, 2010 8:16 pm

This sounds like it could be a lot fun.

21. July 20, 2010 4:40 am

I’ll be mentioning this to my cousin! 🙂

22. July 20, 2010 4:28 pm

Sounds fun! I’ll have to put this on my wish list.