BEA/NY Days 4 and 5

June 17, 2010

Julie and I had to get up early again on Thursday because we had tickets to the Adult Author Breakfast.  I know some people were disappointed in this breakfast, but I wasn’t one of them.  I thought Jon Stewart was a great Master of Ceremonies – he is simply hilarious.  I thought all three authors – John Grisham, Condaleeza Rice, and Mary Roach – spoke well.  I know I’m anxious to read all of their new books!

After breakfast, it was time to hit the trade show floor again.   Working the floor was a lot of fun, but exhausting because it seemed extra crowded this year.  Julie and I did head outside for a little while to grab lunch from a hot dog vendor – we stood and talked to Stephanie while we ate and saw Patton Oswalt leaving the Javits Center.  (Julie had to tell me who he is.)

I was lucky enough to win one of the Book Blogger Con auctions, so at 2:00, I met up with author Sarah Pekkanen and Sheila to go on a tour of Simon & Schuster.  Sarah had planned to come up the day before, but had a sick child and came up and back on the same day in order to do this with us.  She is very sweet and gracious and every bit as awesome as you think she is.  Another Sarah, from Simon & Schuster, gave us a fabulous tour (and a bag of books).  Sarah told us a lot about the editorial process, which was fascinating.  We also found out that Sarah Pekkanen has turned in her second book and has a contract for the third!!  (Sarah Pekkanen is on the left in the photos and Sarah from Simon & Schuster is on the right.)

As we were leaving, we saw Hoda Kotb signing in.  She had to realize that we were staring at her, but she was very gracious when I hollered “Go Hokies!” at her.  She came over and spoke to us and told me to congratulate Vance on his upcoming graduation.  Sarah even gave Hoda a copy of her book, The Opposite of Me – how cool is that?

Sarah, Sheila and I headed back to the Javits Center for the Book Blogger Convention reception which was so much fun!  It was packed, and loud, but I enjoyed talking to all the bloggers, authors and publicists.  After the reception, I headed back to my hotel to drop a few things off before I met part of the “Montreal Gang” for dinner at the Zen Palate.  After carrying my umbrella around all day, I left it in my room, so of course, I got caught in a downpour.  Even after getting wet, I had a great time visiting with  Cindy, Linda and Avis.

______________________________________________

I was able to sleep in on Friday, but still woke up bright and early.  I had a little time to kill before my flight home, so I decided to go grab a bite to eat and take in MoMA.  Some of the art there is a little off the wall, but I really enjoyed the time I spent there.

I headed to the airport early since it was Memorial Day weekend and I wasn’t sure how traffic would be.  To my surprise, I got there in 2o minutes, so I was two hours early for my flight.  The airport was packed, so I sat on the floor for a while to read.  As the time for my flight approached, they kept announcing delays, citing everything from air traffic congestion, to mechanical problems, to weather, to no pilot being available.  Over four hours after my flight was scheduled for take-off, Delta decided to cancel it.  By that time, I had been in the airport for six hours and it was too late to get another flight home.  They re-scheduled me on flights the next day and, after I spoke to a supervisor, Delta put me up for the night and flew me back First Class the next day.  Even with my canceled flight, my time in New York was marvelous and I’m already saving up to go back next year.

1. June 17, 2010 6:20 am

Sounds like another wonderful day at BEA! And getting to tour Simon & Schuster sounds like it would be so interesting. Glad you finally got home! Thanks for sharing it with us!

2. June 17, 2010 8:25 am

I didn’t know about Condoleeza Rice’s new book. Will look forward to it. I love Hoda. Was hoping she had written a book. Thanks for sharing.

3. June 17, 2010 8:44 am

The Simon and Schuster tour sounds like a lot of fun — lucky you! Sounds like you had a fabulous time. Thanks for sharing!

4. June 17, 2010 12:49 pm

Oh this was so much fun and I enjoyed experiencing this with you!

These are good pictures too! I forgot you took these. Loving the memories, and can’t wait until next year!

5. stacybuckeye permalink
    June 17, 2010 2:51 pm

I’m so glad your trip was fun so that your flight delay – and move to first class – was worth it. I think Jon Stewart is so funny and jealous that you got to see him!

6. June 17, 2010 4:14 pm

Sounds like I missed out on a lot of fun! You had a terrific last day!

7. June 17, 2010 9:19 pm

Your day sounds so great and doesn’t it figure you leave the umbrella and it pours!! 😀

Sorry to hear about the airport delays and cancellation but glad to know Delta treated you so well.

8. June 17, 2010 10:22 pm

Your trip sounds fabulous!
    I’m glad Delta had moved you to First Class after all those waiting.

9. June 17, 2010 10:53 pm

I had to Google Patton Oswalt, so you’re not alone in not knowing who he is!

10. June 18, 2010 12:28 am

Kathy, what a great trip you had! Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. 🙂

11. June 18, 2010 1:53 am

Another fun day at BEA-do you have a shelter you would like to give the chance to win cat scratchers to-I am drawing a name for a shelter to win a package courtesy of me.

12. June 18, 2010 3:32 am

I really hope I can go one year! It sounds like so much fun 🙂

13. June 18, 2010 6:46 am

I know what you mean about already saving up for next year.

14. June 18, 2010 7:10 am

What a great experience. I’m both delighted for you and very envious.

15. June 18, 2010 7:58 am

Oh my husband and I really enjoyed the author breakfast too! I really want to read all their books!

16. June 18, 2010 8:20 am

I’m glad you had such a wonderful time, aside from the plane delays. I didn’t make it to the blogger con reception because we were exhausted. Sounds like it was a lot of fun, though.

–Anna

17. June 18, 2010 8:28 am

Oh my goodness — what did you say to the supervisor? I was stuck in Chicago once, had to spend the night in the airport, and was offered not so much as a voucher for a hot dog 😦

BEA sounds like it was another fabulous experience. I think you truly make the most of your time there.

18. June 18, 2010 8:28 am

At least, they sent you back First Class! Your Day 4 sounds like so much fun! Isn’t it funny how it rains when you don’t have an umbrella in hand?

19. June 18, 2010 8:36 am

I’ve really enjoyed reading about your time in NYC. The pics are great – love seeing the faces of bloggers I “know”.

20. June 18, 2010 8:50 am

I so enjoy hearing about all the fun you had! I know it really stinks to get delayed and bumped from flights, but the first thing I think of is “all that time to read!”. Sick I know. I rarely have time to just sit and focus on only a book.

21. June 18, 2010 8:57 am

What a busy day 4 and 5. Sorry to hear about your canceled flight. Delta is usually pretty good about putting you up and upgrading you in those situations. Glad to see you got home in style.

22. June 18, 2010 10:33 am

Aside from the problems with your flight, it sounds like you had an amazing time out there! I love the fact that you got to meet Hoda Kotb and that she was so welcoming to you, and also that you got to take the Simon & Schuster tour! I am so glad you had a nice time!!

23. June 18, 2010 2:18 pm

Sounds like it was an incredible experience. I really hope I will be able to go next year!

24. June 18, 2010 2:19 pm

How fun that you got to fly back first class! (but probably not worth the cost to you!)

25. June 18, 2010 4:08 pm

Yay! it was so much fun! I still feel terrible for making you wait 40-45 minutes at the Zen Palate, due to the late shuttle and all. Will you ever forgive the “Montreal Gang,” Kathy? =)

26. June 18, 2010 10:18 pm

Jon Stewart!!! Wow! I would have loved to have seen him! And Mary Roach too!! That breakfast sounds amazing!

27. June 19, 2010 12:25 am

Oh no that’s too bad your flight was delayed but it sounds like you had a fabulous time all in all!

28. June 19, 2010 12:34 am

Not great that your flight was canceled, but very cool that you got to ride first class.

I caught most of the author breakfast with Jon Stewart on C-Span (my version of living vicariously). I would love to go next year, but I just can’t see that happening. I can dream though! 🙂

29. June 19, 2010 12:39 pm

Sarah Pekkanen sounds like a lovely person and what a great day!

30. June 19, 2010 5:07 pm

What a great day at S&S! I love the story about the umbrella – I never seem to have mine either when it rains. Hence the large collection of $5 street umbrellas that I have bought when caught out in the rain!

31. June 19, 2010 8:46 pm

I am totally jealous!! I’m a new book blogger, but I’m determined to make it to one of these events by next year! I can’t wait to see what you think of “Queen of Palmyra” – I’ve read great reviews on it!

32. June 20, 2010 8:00 am

I’m glad that your afternoon with Sarah was so enjoyable. I’m sure that (and all the other fun you had in NY) made up for the horrifying trip back home.

33. June 20, 2010 7:20 pm

I had so much fun getting to hang out with you~ hope to see you again next year (if not before…)
    xoxo

34. July 14, 2010 7:55 pm

What a great post! Congratulations on the win at Book Blogger Con auctions! I enjoyed viewing all the photos and reading about your experience. Thanks very much for sharing, Kathy!