May 26, 2010

Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading.  If you want to play along, grab the button, and join the fun!  (Don’t forget to leave a link in the comments if you’re participating.)  All of my words this week came from my nifty Word-a-Day calendar.

1. spavined – “The team is sadly spavined, and the new coaching staff will have to look to rebuild over the next couple of seasons.”

Spavined means old and decrepit: over-the-hill.

_____________________________________________________

2. revenant – “The play is about a family of revenants who come back to their ancestral home after years of political exile.”

Revenant means one that returns after death or a long absence.  Revenant come from the French verb revenir, which means to return.

_____________________________________________________

3. myrmidon– “Our former boss was more likely to offer promotions to her myrmidons than to those workers who occasionally questioned her tactics or proposed alternate solutions.”

A myrmidon is a loyal follower, especially a subordinate who executes unquestioningly or unscrupulously.  The Myrmidons, legendary inhabitants of Thessaly in Greece, were known for their fierce devotion to their king, Achilles, who led them in the Trojan War.

_____________________________________________________

What new words have you encountered lately?

1. May 26, 2010 5:07 am

I’m so ashamed. I don’t have a Wondrous Word today. I need one of those “nifty” word calendars.:) Your words are “wondrous” and as unknown to me as a hidden cave in the mountains. I enjoyed reading the meaning of these words. Thanks. Next time I just might use my dictionary.::))

2. May 26, 2010 6:17 am

Thanks for reminding me about spavined. This is a term I have only seen applied to unsatisfactory horses in 19th century novels. It is good to know that it is still in business.

Re myrmidon, I have just been reading about Achilles. There is some mystery about the term (in Greek) as the root is the word for ant, so the speculation is that these people were as numerous or as loyal as ants.

3. May 26, 2010 7:08 am

You find the most interesting words! I had never even heard of those.

My words are here:

4. May 26, 2010 9:01 am

I had always heard revenant used to refer to ghosts – how interesting! Good words.

My new word is here.

5. May 26, 2010 9:15 am

Saw your picture yesterday in the group pic for Armchair BEA, and you definitely were NOT looking spavined! :–)

6. May 26, 2010 9:56 am

Love the word spavined — will have to remember it when I sign the birthday card for my big sis this weekend. Lol

7. Sharla permalink
    May 26, 2010 10:55 am

Here is my word: http://www.winterwrite.com/archives/2133

I’ll be back to comment after work. Can’t wait to read everyone’s words!

8. May 26, 2010 10:55 am

All three words look like ones I should know but, of course, I don’t.

I have some new words and you can find them at Joyfully Retired.

9. May 26, 2010 11:13 am

These are some great words today Kathy! Revenant reminds me of a couple people I saw in church recently.

10. May 26, 2010 12:06 pm

You always have great new words..thinking I need to make a spread sheet so as not to forget.because I am t spavined.
    CMash

11. May 26, 2010 12:42 pm

I’ll be hanging out with my family this weekend. “Spavined” will definitely come into the conversation!

12. May 26, 2010 2:16 pm

Great words this week, Kathy, all new-to-me; I’ve jotted them down to transfer to my master list! 🙂

13. May 26, 2010 4:39 pm

These are great Kathy! I don’t know any of these words. I like the sound of myrmidon though.

14. May 26, 2010 8:52 pm

I am lost on those!! Big words!!!

15. May 30, 2010 10:34 pm

I like the word myrmidon. I don’t know that I’ve come across that one in my reading.