Date Night

April 30, 2010

One of my friends and I like to go to lunch and a movie from time to time, and we’ve really been disappointed by the choices we’ve had lately.  We decided to go see Date Night because we thought it would be fun to see Steve Carell and Tina Fey together.

Carell and Fey play Phil and Claire Foster, a suburban New Jersey couple who feel like their marriage is stuck in a rut.  To remedy that, they decide to forgo their usual date night restaurant and make a trip into the city for a visit to the newest hot-spot.  Of course they can’t get a table, but when they realize another couple (the Tripplehorns) hasn’t shown up for their reservations, they take their place.

It turns out that the Tripplehorns are involved in some pretty nasty business and some thugs show up during the dinner and assume Phil and Claire are them since they’re sitting at their table.  Phil and Claire find themselves smack dab in the middle of a complicated mess and they can’t trust anyone, not even the police.

I thought Date Night was fun, but nothing exceptional.  I laughed during the movie, but  definitely had to suspend belief at times.  I expected a lot from the duo of Carell and Fey and maybe my expectations were set too high, but I felt like the movie was full of clichés.  I’d recommend renting this one.  Here’s the trailer:

1. April 30, 2010 5:52 am

When I saw the trailer, I thought “how can that NOT be fantastic???”. But I’ve seen the reviews and they have been lukewarm. My husband really wanted to see it, but I think at this point it will most likely go on the Netflix Q.

2. April 30, 2010 7:58 am

maybe I’ll stick to my own date night routine, which is sitting here, with my beautiful husband, talking.

(would that make us boring?)

3. April 30, 2010 8:42 am

Kathy your right. There were some moments in the film that was so cliche it wasn’t even funny. But i have to give it to carell and Fey. It seems to me like there were no scripted lines in the movie. If so and they really did ad lib, then i give them kudos for that. The funniest part of the show was the strip dance routine…LOL

4. April 30, 2010 9:15 am

This sounds like a fun watch! I could watch it when I’m in need of some light movie!

5. April 30, 2010 9:21 am

I have a friend that felt the same way about this movie…guess I will wait for the DVD.

6. April 30, 2010 9:27 am

I’m sure we’ll catch this one on Netflix.

7. April 30, 2010 10:05 am

I haven’t seen it, but I wonder if the cliches were the fault of the script or of ad libbing.

Helen
    Straight From Hel

8. April 30, 2010 10:38 am

I must confess to never having seen Tina Fey in anything. I loved Steve Carell in Little Miss Sunshine, though.

9. April 30, 2010 10:49 am

This looks like a fun movie. Steve Carell is always funny. 🙂

10. April 30, 2010 11:19 am

I want to see it to–Steve Carell is awesome, but I think I’ll wait till it’s out on DVD.

11. April 30, 2010 11:21 am

Aww, I hate to hear it didn’t live up to your expectations! I was thinking it would be pretty funny too! I guess we’ll be Netflix’ing it.

12. April 30, 2010 11:24 am

You know, when the trailers first came out, I couldn’t wait to see the film; however, I’ve heard so many folks say what you report, that it is nothing exceptional, that now I’ll wait for the video.

13. April 30, 2010 11:36 am

This one looked like it should be great. Sorry to see it didn’t live up to your expectations. Sounds like one to wait for on DVD.

14. April 30, 2010 11:56 am

That’s a shame. I was so looking forward to a movie starring two of the funniest people in entertainment today. Alas, too much of a good thing often results in disappointment.

Thanks for the review, I will be saving this one for video. 😉

15. April 30, 2010 12:03 pm

That’s too bad it didn’t live up to your expectations. I don’t really like either of the actors so this one was not on my list. Thanks for the review.

16. April 30, 2010 12:18 pm

I’ve been wanted to see this, but I’m worried that Tina Fey and Steve Carrell will just be too uncomfortable to watch together for more than a 30-min sitcom. I always need the relief of the other actors on the Office and 30 Rock, you know?

17. April 30, 2010 12:32 pm

I did have some concerns about these two together. Both of them can be really funny but I think they really need the right vehicle.

18. Diane permalink
    April 30, 2010 12:36 pm

I love Steve C and when I read your review of this movie, it made me think of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry and George pretend to be Murphy and O’brien for the limo guy and get in the same mess..LOL

19. April 30, 2010 2:05 pm

I thought it looked funny, but my husband said he didn’t want to go see it because most movies like this are a disappointment. We decided to wait and check the reviews first. So far it seems that everyone thinks it’s just ok, so we’ll probably skip it.

20. April 30, 2010 2:38 pm

I saw it in theaters and thought it was a lot of fun. I can see where people are coming from regarding the cliches, but I laughed a lot. I thought Carrell and Fey were good as the leads. I don’t think I’ll ever rewatch it though and it’s not one that you *need* to see in theaters.

21. April 30, 2010 3:35 pm

I’m glad to read a blogger’s review of this movie. I’ll wait until Netflix has it before seeing it.

22. April 30, 2010 5:42 pm

My take on this was pretty much the same as yours. I like the leads and laughed in spots, but it was mostly just OK.

23. Kathleen permalink
    April 30, 2010 8:02 pm

I wanted this movie to be GREAT but I had a feeling that it wasn’t. Darn it! I love Tina Fey and Steve Carrell!

24. April 30, 2010 8:21 pm

I haven’t seen this movie. Steve Carell seems to always play the same type of character and I don’t enjoy his movies anymore. I do enjoy Tina Fey though. I’ll probably rent this one.

25. April 30, 2010 10:02 pm

My husband and I were talking about going to see this. I checked and Roger Ebert gave it two thumbs up. But I’m going to trust your thumb. Your taste is a lot closer to mine than Roger Ebert’s.

26. April 30, 2010 10:57 pm

I want to see this one, but I’ve heard mixed reviews and comedies have been falling flat for me lately. I admit I don’t usually enjoy them in the theater. There’s something about other people laughing at times I don’t understand or not laughing when I find it hysterical that pulls me out of the movie. I’ll be waiting for dvd. Thanks!

27. May 1, 2010 8:15 am

Not sure if I want to see this movie. Actually, I don’t even remember when it was the last time that I saw a movie that I liked:(

28. May 1, 2010 8:40 am

Thanks for your take on this one…I will rent it for sure! 😀

29. May 2, 2010 4:58 am

I didn’t know about this movie until now. I’ll take your advice on this one.

30. May 2, 2010 12:21 pm

I can never talk hubby into taking me to seeing these types of movies in the theater but more often than not I prefer renting them anyways lately.

31. May 2, 2010 6:42 pm

I really like Steve Carell and have seen almost every movie he’s been in, so I will probably see this one at some point as well, but I will remember that I will have to suspend my sense of disbelief while watching!

32. stacybuckeye permalink
    May 2, 2010 6:51 pm

I had high hopes for this one, but it’s probably good that you lowered my expectations. I love Tina Fey!

33. May 3, 2010 7:54 pm

Mr Jenners and I just saw this on our own date night. I had very high expectations and it was OK but not as great as I expected. (I was confused by the plot too.) One thing I did like was that Tina Fey got to be as funny as Steve Carell … usually the woman is just the straight “guy.”

34. May 4, 2010 3:56 pm

I thought that Tina Fey’s dress looked really pretty until I realized that that’s not iridescence or copper paint or something…it’s mud!