April 21, 2010

Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading.  If you want to play along, grab the button, and join the fun!  (Don’t forget to leave a link in the comments if you’re participating.)

All of my words this week are from The Heart Is Not a Size by Beth Kephart.

1. veridical –  “My first veridical panic attack had come the day before the marking period ended, when an Objects at Rest essay was due.”

Veridical has several different meanings – the one that fits this sentence is genuine.

_____________________________________________________

2. rejets – “How does the poem change speed and meaning upon the successive rejets?”

I had trouble finding a definition for this, but I think a rejet is a line that somehow connects to a previous line in a poem.  Please correct me if I’m wrong.

_____________________________________________________

3. torrefied– “Lobo wheezed like a saw on a torrefied log.”

To torrefy is to subject to fire or intense heat.

_____________________________________________________

What new words have you encountered lately?

Bookmark and Share

1. April 21, 2010 5:22 am

All new words to me. Amazing finds!

2. April 21, 2010 6:33 am

Very interesting words, none I had heard before today. Thanks for sharing!

Here are mine…

3. April 21, 2010 7:44 am

What’s interesting to me about your three words is that they all sound vaguely familiar, but they’re not. Great choices!

I have three words here today:

4. April 21, 2010 7:54 am

All three of those words have a wonderful “ring” to them… 🙂

5. April 21, 2010 8:01 am

Boy, these are really new words. Thanks. I can’t pick a favorite one yet. I would like to read that book. I like the title.

6. April 21, 2010 8:30 am

I have read about poetic rejets but could never figure out what it was, even when I saw examples! But that’s what I’ve read also, that it refers to the previous line and is in some way a rejection of (rejet being the French term). But I’m betting the author herself will weigh in on this one!

7. April 21, 2010 8:55 am

Great ones!!! I just finished reading that novel and I didn’t write anything down. But when I saw your list, I couldn’t fully define the words. I think I kind of figured them out as I read, but I probably should have stopped and looked them up!

8. April 21, 2010 9:35 am

I had trouble finding a definition for rejets, too, but I was ultimately successful: http://wordlily.com/2010/04/07/words-from-my-reading-43/

9. April 21, 2010 9:53 am

I will have to remember torrefied next time we have a campfire. My words are here:

10. April 21, 2010 10:05 am

All three words were foreign to me.

My new words are HERE.

11. Andreea permalink
    April 21, 2010 10:16 am

All new words, never heard them before. Thanks for sharing!

12. April 21, 2010 11:05 am

Actualy no new words! 🙂
    But I did enjoy reading your new words.

13. April 21, 2010 11:29 am

Whew! If I had participated today with my latest read, I’d have filled a couple of pages with new medieval words!

14. April 21, 2010 11:43 am

Easy: to add these words to my list
    Difficult: to actually use these words

My word for the week is chimerical, which I really should have known. It means highly improbable or fantastic.

Used in a sentence: Remembering all the new vocabulary word on her WWW list was chimerical.

15. April 21, 2010 2:11 pm

All new to me this week. I can definitely see me using veridical.

16. April 21, 2010 2:30 pm

I love those words from your book this week…I have to go back and hunt through my book…it is English and there are tons of English words that need to be digested…

17. April 21, 2010 5:44 pm

All new words to me! Funny how you can think you know so many words and there are still so many to learn! 🙂

18. April 21, 2010 8:05 pm

All three words are new to me. I love this meme.

19. April 21, 2010 9:58 pm

Great words – I hadn’t heard of any of them until now.

20. April 21, 2010 10:18 pm

These words are so interesting. I don’t think I know any of them, but they seem very similar to other words – vertical, rejects, terrified are words that came immediately to mind when I saw them. Great post, Kathy!

21. April 22, 2010 12:38 am

I could guess at the meanings from the roots for a couple of these, but have never seen any of them before and would have been completely stumped by rejets. (Unless of course it was in the context of something like, “He jets across the country, and the week after rejets again.”) 😉

22. April 22, 2010 11:25 am

My question: why use “veridical” when you could use “genuine” and save readers a trip to the dictionary?

23. April 23, 2010 3:03 am

These are all new words to me. I am excited to find new words in a YA novel, I haven’t run across very many but I did just start reading YA, too.