March 10, 2010

Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading.  If you want to play along, grab the button, and join the fun!  (Don’t forget to leave a link in the comments if you’re participating.)

All of my words this week came from Little Bee by Chris Cleave.

1. hypoxic – “The men seemed limp and hypoxic – half-garroted by their ties.”

This one means just what I thought it did from the context.  Hypoxia is a deficiency of oxygen reaching the tissues of the body.

_____________________________________________________

2. puerile – “Not only was I getting old, in other words, but everything I had worked on for the last decade was puerile.”

Puerile means juvenile or childish.

_____________________________________________________

3. apposite– “Cold, technical, as if he had also weighed up adulteress, cuckolder, and narcissist before selecting precisely the most apposite noun.”

I can’t figure out why I didn’t know this one, but apposite means highly pertinent or appropriate.

_____________________________________________________

What new words have you encountered lately?

1. March 10, 2010 4:16 am

I like the word “apposite” and once again, I learn something new this week!

2. March 10, 2010 4:17 am

I haven’t come across “hypoxic” – fortunately!

Here are my “new” words – http://www.booksplease.org/2010/03/10/wondrous-words-from-the-franchise-affair/

3. March 10, 2010 5:48 am

Great words!!! Here is mine:

4. March 10, 2010 6:13 am

Knew hypoxic being a retired nurse but the other 2 are new to me. No new words for me this week (forgot to write them down and can’t remember what they were…having a “senior week” lol)

5. March 10, 2010 6:55 am

Never heard “hypoxic” before – it’s a good word to know. Although it sounds really painful!

6. March 10, 2010 7:49 am

Hi Kathy, I came across Hypoxic in my book called Midwives by Chris Bohjalian. Check out my review in a bit.

Mirandize – to advise (a person being arrested) of his or her rights under the Miranda ruling.

Grandiloquent – speaking or expressed in a lofty style, often to the point of being pompous or bombastic.

Other words i came across was Monomania from The Lost Stories of Louisa May Alcott. It means to have a pathological obsession with one thing or another.

Happy Wednesday Kathy!

7. March 10, 2010 7:58 am

I hope I’ll remember hypoxic. I’ve had to look up puerile before; glad to see the reminder here.

My new words this week come from a magazine article:

8. March 10, 2010 7:59 am

Well no one will actually say what Little Bee is about, but the sentence you used for hypoxic gives a kind of grim preview!

9. March 10, 2010 8:29 am

I missed playing last week, but I have a couple to share today, here.

Happy “Wording”, everybody! 😉

10. March 10, 2010 8:59 am

I like how hypoxic is one you can kind of figure out from studying the word itself.

My words for this week: http://wordlily.com/2010/03/10/words-from-my-reading-39/

11. March 10, 2010 9:07 am

I love puerile – it sounds so much more insulting than childish.

My words are here.

12. March 10, 2010 9:38 am

Very cool words this week. All new to me too.

13. March 10, 2010 10:06 am

That is an interesting use of hypoxic. But I also like peurile…I think I will be able to use that today! Thanks for the words Kathy.

14. March 10, 2010 10:12 am

Hi Kathy,
    I knew what Hypoxic was but the others are new to me. Mine is posted at my place. Have a great day!

Sherrie
    Just Books

15. March 10, 2010 10:39 am

All new words to me. I’m getting very curious about Little Bees. The sentences helped.

I have new words today. You can find them HERE.

16. March 10, 2010 11:53 am

Oooh, those are all good words that I often forget. Thanks for the reminder.

Here is my second post from Outlander. Gosh, so much Scottish slang!

17. March 10, 2010 12:04 pm

Wonderful words–I’ve added them to my list. (I used to know puerile!) I may not get a chance to do this meme today, even though it’s one of my favorites. 🙂

18. March 10, 2010 12:50 pm

I knew puerile but didn’t know apposite either.

19. March 10, 2010 1:37 pm

well, I knew puerile, but only because I am. 🙂

20. March 10, 2010 2:55 pm

I had no idea what hypoxic meant, for some reason it sounded like a dental problem. LOL!

21. March 10, 2010 4:44 pm

those are some interesting words 😉

22. March 10, 2010 7:18 pm

I knew the first one!! A+

23. March 10, 2010 8:57 pm

I haven’t heard any of your words before. Thanks for the lesson. 🙂

I didn’t get my words posted last week and am late posting tonight, but here they are…

24. March 11, 2010 3:50 am

I only knew “puerile” – the reason being, as usual, that we have “pueril” in Portuguese 😛

25. March 11, 2010 7:50 pm

Sometimes high school Latin helps out. In Latin, puer is boy. Also, re opposite and apposite, I see two prefixes, one pushing away (opposite) and one pulling toward (apposite).

26. March 22, 2010 2:22 pm