March 3, 2010

Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading.  If you want to play along, grab the button, and join the fun!  (Don’t forget to leave a link in the comments if you’re participating.)

My first word this week comes from Marriage and Other Acts of Charity by Kate Braestrup.

1. imprimatur – “Then there’s the community in general, which declared itself to be an interested party when it placed its social, historical and legal imprimatur on the relationship at the start.”

In this case, imprimatur means sanction or approval.

_____________________________________________________

My second word this week came from Booking Mama’s interview with Laurie Perry, the author of Home is Where the Wine is.

2. entrelac – “By far my greatest knitting accomplishment is my entrelac scarf from last year.”

Entrelec isn’t in my dictionary, but according to Wikipedia, it’s a knitting technique used to create a textured diamond pattern .

_____________________________________________________

My third word this week comes from my Word-a-Day calendar.

3. demesne– “Lewis and Clark were commissioned to explore the vast demesne of forests and plains acquire in the Louisiana Purchase.”

Demesne has several meanings, all related to land.  In this case, it means region or territory.  Both demesne and domain came from the Anglo-French term demeine.

_____________________________________________________

What new words have you encountered lately?

1. March 3, 2010 7:09 am

A good list – I want one of those calendars!

Unfortunately, I don’t have any words to share this week, but I wanted to check in with everybody else, cause I do so LUV this exercise! (seems I’m a bit early for that, tho…will have to check back a bit later)

Happy Reading, All!

2. March 3, 2010 7:37 am

A word-a-day calendar does sound pretty neat! “demesne” is a mysteriously exciting sounding word. 🙂

3. March 3, 2010 8:01 am

Such interesting words. And it’s always interesting to me when I can’t find a definition for one in the dictionary. I used to think the dictionary had all the answers–now I know differently! ha.

I have three words here:

4. March 3, 2010 8:48 am

Three interesting words, and all new to me.

Here is mine; http://fredasvoice.blogspot.com/2010/03/wondrous-words.html

5. March 3, 2010 8:59 am

imprimatur…finally one I know!

6. March 3, 2010 9:09 am

Thanks for the shout-out! I asked my husband about the first word from MARRIAGE!

Here’s my list:

7. March 3, 2010 9:12 am

Another week of great words. Mine are posted here

8. March 3, 2010 9:54 am

These are some great words…demesne is one I could probably use. My words are here:

9. March 3, 2010 9:58 am

Entrelac is the only one I know and only because, as a knitter, it is a technique that eludes me.

I have some new words and you can find them HERE.

10. March 3, 2010 10:13 am

Entrelac is a technique that’s really cool! I haven’t tried it yet, although I’ve come close. I think I may attempt it yet this year. Here are my new words: http://wordlily.com/2010/03/03/words-from-my-reading-38/

11. March 3, 2010 10:34 am

I had a lot of non-dictionary words too! In fact, my list was so incredibly long, I have broken it into three posts (so stay tuned). The words are all from Outlander.

12. March 3, 2010 11:54 am

Hi!
    They all sound like great words. I’ve heard of them but never knew the meaning. Mine is posted at my place. Have a great day!

Sherrie
    Just Books

13. March 3, 2010 11:59 am

Kathy, I’ve added these to my list–thanks! I’m not doing this wonderful meme today, but I will stop by a few blogs for more new words. 🙂

14. March 3, 2010 5:56 pm

Demesne is such a lovely sounding word – in my mind, it’s all misty-like!

15. March 3, 2010 8:26 pm

I think I can try to use #3 in a conversation one of these days 😀

16. March 3, 2010 10:28 pm

I like entrelac. I can’t say it without rolling the r.