February 17, 2010

Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading.  If you want to play along, grab the button, and join the fun!  (Don’t forget to leave a link in the comments if you’re participating.)  All of my words this week came from The Glass Room by Simon Mawer.

1. refulgent – “It had become a palace of light, light bouncing off the chrome pillars, light refulgent on the walls, light glistening on the dew on the garden, light reverberating from the glass.”

Refulgence means to shine brightly.

_____________________________________________________

2. ineluctably – “Vienna was a city of two million people and his presence in the Leopoldstadt quarter was merely transitory; yet as the taxi cab drove away from the station, there ineluctably, was the great wheel, the Riesenrad, turning slowly in the cool autumnal air above their heads.”

Ineluctable has two meanings – to struggle or wrestle;  not to be avoided, changed or resisted.  In this case, the second meaning is appropriate.

_____________________________________________________

3. fricatives– “The menacing fricatives of the word Geschlechtsverkehr circle the table.”

A fricative is a consonant characterized by frictional passage of the expired breath through a narrowing at some point in the vocal tract.

_____________________________________________________

What new words have you encountered lately?

1. February 17, 2010 5:19 am

Those are words I think I know, but don’t really.

My “new” words are here – http://www.booksplease.org/2010/02/17/wondrous-words-2/

2. Kaye permalink
    February 17, 2010 7:03 am

Don’t think I can work those in conversations today, maybe tomorrow. Good ones, Kathy!

3. February 17, 2010 7:48 am

I think this is the first time I’ve actually heard all your words before! I just picked up a copy of The Glass Room, too, and can’t wait to get started on it. I’ll be interested to see what you think of it.

4. February 17, 2010 7:50 am

All new to me too. I could tell one from the context of the sentence but I wasn’t really familiar with any of them.

5. February 17, 2010 8:12 am

Fricative is interesting–it might stick with me.

My words are here:

6. February 17, 2010 8:27 am

Fricative is another of those fun words that sounds like its meaning! Thanks for the list!

7. February 17, 2010 8:34 am

Great words. I have one this week.

8. February 17, 2010 8:40 am

I love the quote with the word “refulgent.” Makes me think of beautiful glass of some sort like blown glass.

9. February 17, 2010 8:56 am

Isn’t fricative a cool word?!?! I love it. 🙂

10. February 17, 2010 9:19 am

Oh … I like these! I’d love to work “ineluctable” and “refulgence” into conversation sometime soon. 🙂

11. February 17, 2010 10:04 am

fricative *is* good fun to say! I like ineluctable, too…all good words! I have tons o’ words this week…you can see ’em here.

Happy Wednesday, everybody!

12. February 17, 2010 10:14 am

Here are my words for this week: http://wordlily.com/2010/02/17/words-from-my-reading-36/

13. February 17, 2010 11:01 am

I feel like ineluctably is the one I am most likely to encounter again and also the one where I would struggle to remember the meaning. They are almost but not quite opposite to each other in a way, so it is hard to hold the two meanings in my head.

14. February 17, 2010 11:15 am

Hi!
    Great words. I didn’t know any of them. So now I have some new words to add to my vocabulary, I’ll just have to figure out how to use them! LOL Mine are posted at my place, Just Books. Have a great day!

Sherrie
    Just Books

15. February 17, 2010 11:20 am

I like the way the author used those words. They seem to take the reader up to a nicer class of reading.

My new words can be found HERE.

16. February 17, 2010 11:55 am

The Glass Room is on my TBR list, so now I won’t have to look these up! Great words!

17. February 17, 2010 1:29 pm

I will probably never have occasion to use the word “fricatives,” but I do love it so. I just used the word “conviviality” in a comment, so I’m pretty proud of that today. ;D

18. February 17, 2010 2:37 pm

The first two of your words are definitely ones that can describe the therapy process. Thanks for teaching me new vocabulary! Here are my words from the Swiss Courier…

19. February 17, 2010 2:58 pm

Again those were all new words to me 🙂

Here are mine: http://bookatopia.blogspot.com/2010/02/wondrous-words-wednesday-february-17.html

20. February 17, 2010 3:35 pm

I don’t think I’ve heard these words before! Interesting words.

21. February 17, 2010 3:38 pm

#3 sounds like a word one of the kids at my middle school would use as a swear word!! LOL!! 😀

22. February 17, 2010 3:54 pm

I actually know one this week! “Fricatives”. I’m a linguistics geek 😛

23. February 17, 2010 3:57 pm

Your words are new to me, too, Kathy. I will add them to my vocabulary list.

Here’s mine: http://suko95.blogspot.com/2010/02/wondrous-words-wednesday.html

If anyone can think of a subtitle for my post, please leave me a comment. 🙂

I love this meme!

24. February 17, 2010 7:08 pm

You got me on all three. New to me…thanks.
    I keep meaning to do this meme.
    I’m going to post one now. Thanks. Wisteria

25. February 17, 2010 7:38 pm

Bermuda Onion, this meme of yours has really got me thinking. I purposefully look for words now, which may be unfamiliar to me. It doesn’t happen very often, as I pride myself on a good vocabulary, but when I read Virginia Woolf’s The Waves this month, I had to include a section on vocabulary words I’d never heard of in my post. I paid extra attention thanks to your Wondrous Words posts.

26. February 17, 2010 9:24 pm

alas, computer problems delayed me this morning but finally here is my post!

27. February 18, 2010 8:33 pm

so refulgent and effulgent mean the same thing?