Up in the Air

January 28, 2010

Ryan Bingham fires people for a living.  Since he goes to wherever they are, that means he has to travel almost constantly.  That suits him just fine, though, since it means no commitments to tie him down.  When his company hires a young woman, right out of college, with new ideas that will change his way of life, Ryan panics and insists she go on the road with him to see how the business really works.

I went to see Up in the Air with a friend, because she wanted to see it.  I really wasn’t all that interested in it, but went along because she’s gone to movies that I wanted to see with me.  Boy, am I glad I did!  I was surprised at how much I liked this movie.  I have to say that George Clooney has aged well, and it was worth the price of admission just to gaze at him up on the big screen.

I really liked the story, too.  Ryan had worked so hard to be unencumbered by commitments and relationships and it took the fresh-faced new employee to teach him about what’s important in life.  The story was entertaining (and a little sad at times) with a wonderful message to it.  There are some mild sexual situations and language in this movie.

1. January 28, 2010 6:25 am

I had been avoiding this one because it seemed so depressing. I might reconsider it now since you say it is so good. I do really like George Clooney.

2. Kaye permalink
    January 28, 2010 6:56 am

Clooney is not exactly hard on the eyeballs, that’s for sure. Glad you enjoyed it more than you thought. Always a nice surprise.

3. January 28, 2010 7:10 am

My husband and I saw this and thought it was good. I liked it more than I’d expected to and found the cast and story enjoyable. Your review is spot on.

4. January 28, 2010 7:36 am

I could stare at George on the big screen any ole day! I haven’t been that interested in this one either, but your review has me want to give it a try.

5. January 28, 2010 8:26 am

Great review! I wonder how the book compares to the movie.

6. January 28, 2010 9:00 am

I have often found that other movies graced by Clooney’s presence have exceeded my expectations. He is quite handsome, and very charming. We have not seen this yet, but it has gotten a serious amount of praise. It is Netflix-bound.

7. January 28, 2010 9:25 am

I loved this movie! I even loved it more the second time I saw it with friends. I’m glad to hear you enjoyed it too!

8. January 28, 2010 10:27 am

I just love george! This is on my movie list, but sometimes I just don’t get to the theater.

9. January 28, 2010 10:54 am

When this one comes out on DVD, I’ll have to rent it. Several reviews that I’ve read have been positive, telling me that I had better not miss out!

10. January 28, 2010 11:17 am

I haven’t heard of this one. I’ll have to check it out, sounds really good.

11. January 28, 2010 11:37 am

I’m looking forward to this movie. Yes, George is more than “OK”. 🙂

12. January 28, 2010 11:57 am

You crack me up!!! Thinking George Clooney is a hottie! I’ve got some romance books for you….

13. January 28, 2010 12:11 pm

“Clooney is like Chanel — always in style.” I’ve always agreed with this quote from Sex and the City.

14. Caitie F permalink
    January 28, 2010 12:15 pm

I LOVED this movie. My husband and I saw it with friends a few weeks ago and we all thought it was fantastic. It was realistic, it was funny, it made sense. So many movies are so out there and expect huge changes and are not rooted in what might actually happen. But this was different.

15. January 28, 2010 12:32 pm

When I saw the previews for this movie I figured I could take it or leave it…but now I’m wanting to see it. Clooney sure is easy on the eyes isn’t he?

16. January 28, 2010 12:55 pm

I loved the movie too!! George Clooney is still tha man!

17. sumanam permalink
    January 28, 2010 12:55 pm

I hope to watch the movie some day, glad you enjoyed! and Clooney is always an eyecandy 🙂

18. January 28, 2010 1:32 pm

I’m so not a movie person, so I haven’t even heard of this one. But I like George Clooney, so I’m sure I’ll see it at some point.

–Anna

19. January 28, 2010 1:38 pm

This was a very well-done movie – entertaining with good humor but also it made me think. My friends and I were discussing the movie as we left the theater and on the drive home.

20. January 28, 2010 3:01 pm

I’ve been wondering about this movie but Clooney is so gorgeous it’s worth seeing just for him. lol.

21. January 28, 2010 3:31 pm

This is one that I will rent for me and the hubster for sure!! Glad that you enjoyed it 🙂

22. January 28, 2010 3:54 pm

One of the women in my book club bought me this book for Christmas with a cute little knitted cover to put over it. I had never heard of the book, and had no idea that it was a movie either! I am glad that you liked it, because I wasn’t sure if it would be a good read or not. I will probably read the book before I see the movie, but I am looking forward to some George gazing of my own!

23. January 28, 2010 4:10 pm

I will definitely have to netflix this one when it comes out on dvd. My husband and I considered seeing it in the theater, but we didn’t get around to it in time.

24. January 28, 2010 4:53 pm

Clooney’s so handsome and I always love his movies. Great review!

25. January 28, 2010 5:59 pm

I really want to see this! (Of course, I’ll see almost anything that Mr. Clooney appears in.)

26. January 28, 2010 6:12 pm

I agree the price of admission alone is worth it see Clooney on the big screen! The movie was good but it made me so sad!

27. January 28, 2010 6:16 pm

My father, who saw this movie, has suggested that George Clooney (whom I adore) should not get that much credit for acting in this film. “He’s just being himself while the film rolls,” my father contends.

But heck, I’ll take George Clooney anyway he comes.

Glad you had fun at this one.

28. January 28, 2010 8:13 pm

I’m waiting for this to come out on DVD. I ❤ George Clooney!

29. January 28, 2010 8:19 pm

I heard part of an interview with a screen writer for this movie on NPR, and wanted to see it. Now that I’ve read your review, I really want to see it!

30. January 28, 2010 8:44 pm

I saw the previews at the theater for this one and I completely forgot about it. I loved what you said , “I have to say that George Clooney has aged well, and it was worth the price of admission just to gaze at him up on the big screen.”
    I agree! In the previews I was glued to his face. Nice!

31. January 28, 2010 10:13 pm

I really liked this movie. I was surprised by how open-ended it was and I liked that.

32. January 28, 2010 10:24 pm

I loved this movie (and am debating reading the book, even though it won’t have George Clooney)! I’m really glad you liked it too.

33. January 29, 2010 5:07 am

I wondered what this film was about. The trailers really didn’t tell you much. I just presumed George Clooney liked flying a lot. Glad to hear it was fabulous.

34. January 29, 2010 8:01 am

I love the line “George Clooney has aged well.”

35. January 29, 2010 8:40 am

Gah! I’m so jealous that you caught this one in the theater. I went to see it for my birthday last weekend and it’s already off the big screen here 😦

36. January 29, 2010 8:48 am

I heard this one was good. So happy you got an unexpected surprise and enjoyed it!

37. January 29, 2010 9:47 am

Ooooh I saw this at the bookstore but didn’t get it. I’m going to rectify that soon. I’m glad you enjoyed it. 🙂

38. January 29, 2010 9:56 am

I know, right? I still think of him when he was on Facts of Life, too, and then look at how he looks now… he’s just beautiful, isn’t he? And funny! mmmm… warm George Clooney thoughts. 😀

I do want to see this movie, but I know it’s one I’ll have to wait for on DVD. There’s no way the girls would sit through it, for sure. Maybe Mags, she tends to have strange tastes for an 11-year-old. But the sex stuff would keep me from allowing that.

Isn’t it fun to see a movie that you don’t think you’ll like, then it turns out to be a gem? I was like that for The Princess and the Frog, I was surprised by how much I liked it, maybe even more than the kids did!

39. January 29, 2010 10:03 am

So glad you posted about this movie…I felt as you did. Wasn’t interested. After reading this, I am going to have to rethink that.

40. stacybuckeye permalink
    January 29, 2010 11:34 am

I’m looking forward to this one, although I don’t know if I’ll see it at the theater. Clooney does seem to be one of those lucky men who gets better looking as he ages.

41. January 29, 2010 11:46 am

I agree! George Clooney is still very good looking. I don’t think this would really be something I would see in theaters. More of a rental-type of film.

42. January 29, 2010 3:15 pm

I have to agree with stacybuckeye! George really does get better with age. I originally thought I would pass on this, but after your review I’ll definitely see it!

Thanks, Kathy.

43. January 29, 2010 3:29 pm

Sounds good and I do love George Clooney.

44. January 29, 2010 3:53 pm

My husband and I debated on whether to go see this one or not. We just couldn’t get a handle on it from the previews. Now I think we’ll go see it. Thanks for sharing your experience.

45. January 29, 2010 8:39 pm

I’ve heard nothing but raves about this one. I know I should see it … probably one of the better movies that will be out this year. And George Clooney has truly aged well.

46. January 29, 2010 9:13 pm

There aren’t very many movies I’ll pay to go see in the theater, but Clooney is almost always worth the price of admission!

47. January 30, 2010 12:41 am

I went to see this movie a few weeks ago and LOVED it! It is one of my favorites I have seen in the last 12 months!

48. January 30, 2010 3:38 am

I really really want to see this movie! George Clooney.. swoon..

49. January 30, 2010 11:12 am

Oooh, I love George Clooney, and have heard so many good things about this movie! Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

50. January 31, 2010 8:54 pm

I’ve been wanting to see this since it came out in theaters, but it hasn’t come anywhere near my small town. Now I will at least redouble my efforts to get the DVD when it comes out.

51. January 31, 2010 10:31 pm

I liked this all the way up to the end, it was back to square one.

52. justicejenniferreads permalink
    February 6, 2010 11:36 pm

My parents and my sister went to go see this movie and they absolutely loved it and have strongly urged me to go see it. It definitely intrigues me, I love George Clooney. Just haven’t really had time to go out to the theaters much lately.

53. February 18, 2010 11:27 am

I think I’d like to rent this one. Thanks for the encouraging review.