January 13, 2010

Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading.  If you want to play along, grab the button, and join the fun!  (Don’t forget to leave a link in the comments if you’re participating.)

All of my words this week came from The Swan Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova.  (Watch for a giveaway of an autographed copy of this book soon!)

1. alizarin – “Back gate lock, buy alizarin and board, check to Tony, Thursday.”

Taken out of context, that sentence doesn’t make a lot of sense, but it was a kind of mental checklist by one of the characters.  Alizarin is an orange or red crystalline compound used to make red pigments.

_____________________________________________________

2. magisterially – “He started the engine and we pulled magisterially out of the lot.””

Magisterial means of, relating to, or having the characteristics of a master or teacher: authoritative

_____________________________________________________

3. roseate – “Her eyelashes were roseate and they lay on pale skin.”

Roseate means resembling a rose especially in color.

_____________________________________________________

What new words have you encountered lately?

1. January 13, 2010 5:14 am

I like that! Roseate.

2. January 13, 2010 7:30 am

I might could have guessed roseate, but not in that form. Great words.

My three words are here:

3. January 13, 2010 7:40 am

This is my first time posting for Wondrous Word Wednesday and know it won’t be my last. Hello all !!
    Great words..I just learned definitions of 3 new words, especially alizarin.
    My word is here:

4. January 13, 2010 7:45 am

“Roseate” is a beautiful word!

5. January 13, 2010 8:07 am

I had never heard “alizarin” before. Sounds like something from a Harry Potter book!

6. January 13, 2010 8:27 am

Wow that first sentence using alizarin is pretty recondite!

7. January 13, 2010 8:37 am

I’m so sorry I didn’t have a post this week — I didn’t write down any words!

I like alizarin!

8. January 13, 2010 8:57 am

I hadn’t known alizarin. I do know the othe two!

9. January 13, 2010 9:29 am

I had to read that first sentence twice and then your explanation for alizarin. Not a word I think will be used soon. Roseate is one I knew due to the Roseate Spoonbill, an absolutely gorgeous bird I’ve seen here in FL.

10. January 13, 2010 9:34 am

I should have known alizarin! When I read the sentence I went blank, but I should know from my days in art school- alizarin crimson is a common paint hue.

11. January 13, 2010 9:57 am

These are great words…I would have thought magisterially would have something to do with magic. My word is here:

12. January 13, 2010 10:05 am

Cute idea! I loved The Swan Thieves. Hope you’re enjoying it!
    Alayne – The Crowded Leaf.

13. January 13, 2010 10:10 am

Those are great words and I’m excited that I have some to share today!

My words are here.

14. January 13, 2010 10:19 am

I recognize alizarin as a name of a red paint color.

Here are mine (I’m back!): http://wordlily.com/2010/01/13/words-from-my-reading-31/

15. January 13, 2010 10:38 am

My husband and I started reading Ulysses, and I already have a list of words two and half pages long that I need to look up (and that’s just from reading 40 pages). It’s very humbling.

16. January 13, 2010 11:46 am

I like roseate. It sounds pretty and I think I could pull that off in conversation. Of course, I’d have to explain myself.

My Wondrous Words are here.

17. January 13, 2010 11:46 am

This is a great meme, and today’s words are truly wondrous. I’m adding them to my long list (which I will type up, one day). 🙂

18. January 13, 2010 1:11 pm

I knew the other two but not alazarin. I so want a copy of the Swan thieves, I can’t wait to see your review. Great feature as always. I’m reading Moby Dick and really should keep a pen handy when I read. They are some dandy words in there.

19. January 13, 2010 3:38 pm

Great words this week!! More to add to my list of things I did not know!

20. January 13, 2010 4:32 pm

Roseate is lovely – I keep thinking it would make a good name! And using alizarin in a sentence – I’m guessing the character is an artist …

21. January 13, 2010 5:03 pm

Roseate–must be added to my vocabulary.

22. January 13, 2010 6:03 pm

More great words. Here are mine for this week!

23. January 13, 2010 6:54 pm

These words are all new to me. 🙂

I forgot to link up this morning. Better late than never, I guess… http://westietherapy.blogspot.com/2010/01/wondrous-words-these-three-remain.html

24. January 13, 2010 7:49 pm

Alizarin sounds quite Ali Baba-ish…I like it.

And I can’t wait to read this one!

25. January 13, 2010 8:21 pm

Roseate sounds good and so is magisterially. Again, I learned something new this week! Thanks, Kathy!

26. January 13, 2010 10:48 pm

Tough words! I never would have guessed “alizarin”. I’ve heard good things about that book too. Hope you’re enjoying it! This is a great meme! 🙂

27. January 14, 2010 3:12 pm