December 30, 2009

Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading.  If you want to play along, grab the button, and join the fun!  (Don’t forget to leave a link in the comments if you’re participating.)

I got a word-a-day calendar for Christmas, so I should have lots of great new words in 2010!

My first word for this week came from Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman.

1. zills – “Miz Goodpepper lowered herself down on the floor and removed her zills.”

This word is actually defined in the book, but I thought it was a fun word, so I thought I would include it.  Zills are finger cymbals.

_____________________________________________________

I found several Inuit words in Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George.  All of these words are explained in the book, but I thought they were worth including:

• gussaks – white faced people (non-Innuits)
  • ulo – woman’s knife
  • kuspuck – light, summer clothing (Somehow I think this is different for Innuits than it would be for us!)

_____________________________________________________

What new words have you encountered lately?

1. December 30, 2009 5:21 am

All four of your words are fun to read this week. My mind is trying to imagine what zills look like.

My new words are from a fellow blogger. You can find them here: Wondrous Words

2. December 30, 2009 6:12 am

I loved all those words!

Here is my Wondrous Words Wednesday post!

3. December 30, 2009 6:16 am

Zills is a fun word .. So are all the other words.

4. December 30, 2009 7:26 am

Love zills!!! I could have listed probably forty or more from THE ELEGANCE OF A HEDGEHOG but here are a few:

5. December 30, 2009 8:04 am

No way. Couldn’t guess that one, though I sat here for a moment and tried.

6. December 30, 2009 8:27 am

You know Kathy, I’ve been reading this meme weekly and it is really great. I hope to join in the fun for 2010 (and learn a few new words in the process). Thanks

7. December 30, 2009 9:33 am

I’m reading Julie of the Wolves soon too so it will be good to keep those words in mind!

8. December 30, 2009 9:55 am

I definitely would have stopped to look up zills if I had read that sentence. 🙂

My words are here:

9. December 30, 2009 11:56 am

I love this meme, Kathy! Maybe I will attempt it next year. 🙂

10. December 30, 2009 11:57 am

Great words Kathy…I am going to have remember zills when I read CeeCee Honeycutt. My words are here:

11. December 30, 2009 12:13 pm

I love zills. That is a fun word. Never heard of zills. I like that lady’s name too. What a nice gift for christmas too.

12. December 30, 2009 12:28 pm

I have used finger cymbals, but never heard them called zills. Thanks for the information.

I agree that kuspuck are probably not cotton, linen or seersucker! 🙂

Here are my words…http://westietherapy.blogspot.com/2009/12/wondrous-words-assembly-such-as-this.html

13. December 30, 2009 1:47 pm

Great word, and loved the Inuit words too.

I am wordless this week.

14. December 30, 2009 3:17 pm

Innuits light, summer clothing is probably sweats!

15. December 30, 2009 7:50 pm

Hey Kathy,

Thelma Rae Goodpepper would be tickled to know you mentioned her zills on your blog!

16. December 31, 2009 1:05 am

I didn’t recognize any of these this week. Zills is a fun word, I’m glad you included it! 🙂